DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I keep hearing folks younger than me talk about that and Hunter x Hunter. 

I feel like I should like it a lot - and probably eventually will.  But I've tried to get through season 1 a couple times and bounced off it pretty fast.

Same thing with Hunter X Hunter.  I've never marathoned it, but I watched the first 60 eps or so when it was on Toonami and never really warmed up to it.  I'm hit and miss with Shonen though.  More miss.  Even a lot of shows I feel are well done fail to land with me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, Pete said:

My Hero Academia got me like...

k8GZXK.gif

Seriously, why it took me this long to discover it is completely beyond my comprehension. It checks ALL the boxes for me.

If you like this show, you will probably also like Fire Force. Fire Force is like My Hero Academia, but with firefighters instead of superheroes.

Also, probably Jujutsu Kaisen, which is like My Hero Academia, but with supernatural exorcists instead of superheroes. All the main characters have really defined, likable personalities. I really like Nobara especially being this somewhat meatheaded country bumpkin who is really excited about living in the city. 

Really enjoying both right now.

Also a Season 2 announcement for Goblin Slayer! Awesome! Since the OVA did Vol. 5 of the Light Novel, I'm hoping the new season will go back and do Volume 4, which is a pretty good fight.

• Like 1

I'm really digging Attack on Titan's last season.  Was skeptical about the change in studios and the change in direction but so far the season has been really strong.  Babydacing a couple of the established villains has worked very well so far.  

Still wondering if they can wrap everything up in the time they have left.  Was it confirmed that the season is sixteen episodes?  That's what I get from Google, but there seems to be a bit of uncertainty.  I'm sort of expecting there to be a mid-season break.  Almost seems like to much ground to cover unless the season is 20-some eps.

Can't say I like the new character designs.  The time jump makes it less jarring than it might be otherwise, but I'm still not liking the changes to Eren and co.

• Like 2

I want to replace my copy of Afro Samurai this week - both movies.  Looking at various releases, it looks like the Director's Cuts are unedited and the standard retail versions are the edited versions that ran on Spike TV.  Is that right?

How much did they cut out?  I'd prefer to order the Murder Sessions box set, but the standard version can be had for about $20 and the Director's Cut was a limited edition and will probably end up costing me $100-$150 (new) on eBay.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I love this season, I don't understand how it's going to be over though. Have they officially commented on whether or not there will be a movie or a second half?

As far as Eren goes, I actually think this is almost exactly how I pictured him turning out as an adult. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, jaedmc said:

I love this season, I don't understand how it's going to be over though. Have they officially commented on whether or not there will be a movie or a second half?

Second half.  The supposed "last episode" of the season aired this weekend in Japan.  At the end of the ep, there is a teaser for episode 76 coming sometime next winter.   It's been confirmed that there will be multiple episodes airing next winter.  I kinda wish they had told us the season was being split into two halves, but it's not unexpected.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, jaedmc said:

As far as Eren goes, I actually think this is almost exactly how I pictured him turning out as an adult. 

I feel like it would have been surprising if Eren hadn't turned out this way.

I don't follow the manga at all, so I'm not sure where it's gone with this plotline.  Hoping they don't take the easy way out and babyface Eren for the big finale.  Though they do seem to be setting the table for that with the idea that 

Spoiler

Titan hosts are affected by the personalities of previous hosts

though I tend to think he was lying about that to manipulate Armin and Mikasa.

I''m really liking this season, though I can see why some fans wouldn't.  

MHA movie 3, World Heroes' Mission. It looks like they are going on some sort of black ops mission.

I did enjoy that the first movie was basically a Die Hard remake.

Also, I think we got a couple Black Clover fans here. First Black Clover movie:

mainbanner03.jpg

Edited by TheVileOne

On 4/8/2021 at 5:42 PM, dogwelder said:

It's interesting, but I'm only cautiously optimistic. Once we start seeing things like Macross 7 and Macross Frontier getting official releases over here, I will start believing it.

First Jujutsu Kaisen movie announced:

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2