DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

There is no wrestler that I am more apathetic about than Alberto Del Rio.

There is no wrestler more apathetic than Alberto Del Rio.
I was at a house show a few weeks ago with a Del Rio/ Sheamus LMS match where he worked his ass off.

I don't see apathy in his ring work at all. Character on the other hand...

Well, he acknowledged me for being the biggest loudmouth cheering for him at that show right before he whacked Sheamus with a kendo stick, so maybe he's doing his best shit at house shows. And to be fair, how can he do character work on TV when he's not a featured character with people trying to write for him?
  • Like 2

Possibly a dumb question, but for guys like Muta, Tajiri, and others who did a mist-spitting gimmick, how exactly did they go about it?  I can't imagine they kept some sort of packet in their mouth for however long the match was and managed to bump and sell without breaking or revealing it.

Possibly a dumb question, but for guys like Muta, Tajiri, and others who did a mist-spitting gimmick, how exactly did they go about it?  I can't imagine they kept some sort of packet in their mouth for however long the match was and managed to bump and sell without breaking or revealing it.

Same way they don't keep a razor in their hand the whole way through the match when they want to blade. They stash it somewhere safe, retrieve it, then pop it in their mouth when they need to.

They do, you're just not supposed to know that. I vividly remember one match where Tajiri bit whomever and spit something onto the floor that looked green. I think it was whatever he kept the contents of the stuff in. Joey reacted like he bit a piece out of the guy.

Great Muta usually has the referee give it to him 30 seconds or so before the spot, it is one of those things you can't un-see once you see it the first time.  Its like seeing that damn reel-change dot once you have seen Fight Club and they point it out to you.  Now every time I watch a Muta match I see the point that he gets the packet from the referee, he is about as subtle as Shawn Michaels is blading.

• Like 2

I was about to mention the "handed packet by X" method.  It's fairly noticable if you're looking at it, depending on the camera people.  WWE refs were bad at it, because out of the blue you'd see them reach into their pockets for something, and then the mist comes a little later.

I saw one the other day, during the EC3/Spud vs Tajiri/Another Japanese Man match, where one of the dudes around ringside hands it to Tajiri after some dives on the floor.

Question: How did Debra get involved in the build to Rock/Austin at WrestleMania X-7? I don't remember when or how they started acknowledging her and Austin were married. I really didn't think Austin's character needed that or maybe it did? Debra's character seemed to be someone that jumped from wrestler to wrestler, then all of sudden she's acknowledgd as Austin's real life wife and thrown into the storyline.

Question: How did Debra get involved in the build to Rock/Austin at WrestleMania X-7? I don't remember when or how they started acknowledging her and Austin were married. I really didn't think Austin's character needed that or maybe it did? Debra's character seemed to be someone that jumped from wrestler to wrestler, then all of sudden she's acknowledgd as Austin's real life wife and thrown into the storyline.

Vince assigned her as the Rock's manager in that match to mess with Austin.

Everyone's crazy over Ambrose, but does his gimmick really work in the PG-era?

Yes.

I think WWE is finally getting to the point where they realize PG doesn't mean 'for babies.' It just means HBK can't show his dick on camera and Triple H can't wear blackface.

• Like 2