DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Did they finally buy the Mempho tape library?

That sounds awfully close to the Nympho library, which I assume Jerry Lawler already had in his personal collection.

It's funny cause I like jokes that don't make any sense.

Renee Young is going to be on commentary for Superstars. This is probably the first time in history they've had a female interviewer who was 1.) Good at her job 2.) Not hated backstage 3.) Not ridiculed on camera 4.) Not used a pure eye candy. Although I give it a year before one of the aforementioned happens.

Which'll be when she jumps to ESPN.

Did they finally buy the Mempho tape library?

That sounds awfully close to the Nympho library, which I assume Jerry Lawler already had in his personal collection.

It's funny cause I like jokes that don't make any sense.

Allow me to explain:

When read aloud, the misspelling of Memphis as "Mempho" sounds awfully similar to the English word "Nympho." Jerry Lawler has a reputation for being a sex-crazed old man so it would be reasonable that he would have a library of videos starring nympho women. 

But in all seriousness, I remember reading that Lawler was finally able to get legal clearance to sell his collection of Memphis tapes to WWE. There are so many versions of Memphis tapes floating around though that I doubt WWE has a complete collection at this point. I'd be interested to see what Lawler had in his collection.

Random thought: If Punk insists on being retired and his wife is on the road. I wouldn't mind WWE bringing him in as a commentator and talking Jerry Lawler into retiring. Punk and JBL might actually have decent chemistry on commentary. If Lawler won't go then Punk can be added to the SmackDown announce team. 

Random thought: If Punk insists on being retired and his wife is on the road. I wouldn't mind WWE bringing him in as a commentator and talking Jerry Lawler into retiring. Punk and JBL might actually have decent chemistry on commentary. If Lawler won't go then Punk can be added to the SmackDown announce team.

Zero chance in hell he's gonna do that. I'm pretty sure he's enjoying his couch and the NHL Network.

The NHL Network is pretty terrible so I doubt that.

I don't think Punk would be any good as a regular commentator. He's tolerable as a one off or for a week or 2 but I don't think every week would work remotely well.

I don't think Punk would be any good as a regular commentator. He's tolerable as a one off or for a week or 2 but I don't think every week would work remotely well.

I remember him being pretty good when he commentated back in 2010. And if I were Punk and married to AJ, I wouldn't mind a couple extra nights a week with my wife.

I just watched Maffew's long-awaited SinCaraMania video, and two things occur to me

1) Del Rio was decent when he was beating up Sin Cara.

2) Sin Cara must be the biggest high-profile flop in recent memory, no? I mean, he got a press conference to hype him up, got to tag with Cena on Raw, got his own lighting -- and then just stank up the joint. He was like if you took Blood Runs Cold, the Shockmaster, and Nathan Jones in a blender and then poured the resulting grey goo into a generic luchador outfit.

I just watched Maffew's long-awaited SinCaraMania video, and two things occur to me

2) Sin Cara must be the biggest high-profile flop in recent memory, no? I mean, he got a press conference to hype him up, got to tag with Cena on Raw, got his own lighting -- and then just stank up the joint. He was like if you took Blood Runs Cold, the Shockmaster, and Nathan Jones in a blender and then poured the resulting grey goo into a generic luchador outfit.

I still believe all he needed was a long feud with masked supervillain Cody Rhodes leading to a City of Heroes/Villains super feud.

It could have saved both of them.

Curt Hawkins mention in an AP article:

Raised in Milford, Connecticut, Newell refused to let his disability serve as a roadblock toward his athletic pursuits. He wrestled in high school — losing his first 17 matches, by his count — before becoming a regular winner. He later captained the Western New England College wrestling team.

"It was the kind of thing where if they lost to him, they'd be ashamed about losing to a kid with one arm," Newell's college teammate, Brian Myers, said. "It's almost like losing to a girl, almost. But I found it rather difficult to wrestle him in practice. His elbow was pretty exposed and it was too his advantage because he could legally strike you with it like it was his hand."

Like so many college roommates, Newell and Myers were glued to the TV every Monday night to watch WWE's "Monday Night Raw" and UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter."

Myers gravitated more toward sports entertainment — using the ring name Curt Hawkins he'd become a tag team champion performing for WWE. Newell was hooked on every choke, kick, and submission in the brutal MMA circuit.

I remember him being pretty good when he commentated back in 2010. And if I were Punk and married to AJ, I wouldn't mind a couple extra nights a week with my wife.

• Like 2

I still believe all he needed was a long feud with masked supervillain Cody Rhodes leading to a City of Heroes/Villains super feud.

That sure saved the Hurricane and Paul Burchill.

That leads to the question: who would you rather have combined: a healthy Shane Helms+Paul Burchill or a healthy Cody+Sin Cara?

I think it's pretty close.

Suwama is better or equal to like half the people above him. I call shenanigoats!

Who is the best of the current world champions in pro wrestling?
A.J. Styles
385   34.6% 
John Cena
217   19.5% 
Michael Elgin
195   17.5% 
Yuji Nagata
117   10.5% 
Yamato
85   7.6% 
Bobby Lashley
44   4% 
El Texano Jr.
25   2.2% 
El Terrible
25   2.2% 
Suwama
20   1.8% 

Number of Voters   :  1113
First Vote   :  Wednesday, 02 July 2014 12:00
Last Vote   :  Thursday, 03 July 2014 23:15

That sure saved the Hurricane and Paul Burchill.

That leads to the question: who would you rather have combined: a healthy Shane Helms+Paul Burchill or a healthy Cody+Sin Cara?

I think it's pretty close.

So, you're saying once Cody adopts a pirate gimmick, he's set?