DVDVR Message Board

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

Added you as a 3DS friend, BL88. Would like to do Cliff too.

My friend code is in the very first message of the online ID thread. Can't easily cut and paste on shitty smart phone to put it here (it keeps trying to dial the number) and I am not at home.

DAY 2 IMPRESSIONS:

-I really want Bowser Jr. to be good too, and he is not. I haven't really found a reliable Not Bowser to use yet, but I've been putting off playing Little Mac.

-The Balloon Fight stage is a fucking nightmare.

-Still having lag issues. More severe today.

-Trophy Rush is the most fun any of the little side modes have been so far.

-Still don't understand the "no items" crowd. At all.

-"yasss bish yasss" gets through their dirty word detectors.

Got it yesterday, and so far Little Mac is my go-to guy.  Bowser is pretty fucking boss too.  And yes, I love this game so damn much.  Also decided to hold off on online until it gets sorted out.  I imagine there's initial problems to start with.

Also decided to hold off on online until it gets sorted out.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that happening. They're doing P2P instead of using dedicated servers. Everyone in the game has to have great WiFi or it's like watching a slideshow. The online portion is the only part they really dropped the ball on.

DAY 3 IMPRESSIONS

kind of a hard core study day so I didn't play as much as I would've liked to

-There is something to the idea of Smash Run. I don't think they stick the landing quite right because of how it controls, but there's definitely something there.

-Have started using Sheik and Pac-Man more regularly. Pac-Man is so strange but he hits SO HARD. Right amount of chaos. Shiek is the first speed character I've felt like I've actually understood well enough to control.

-I play so much Trophy Rush. Holy shit. It's embarrassing.

-So far I'm still enjoying playing it! That's weird! I'm kind of an esoteric dude when it comes to what makes a video game good and there's enough happening in this that I'm still finding weird little nooks and crannies of strategies and approaches. Stunned to find it was worth the purchase for more than making a mii of a guy I hate and making him yell "eddie lacy tho" at a friend of mine thirty times.

I get the picture, man. You already said you don't like me.

I like you when you are TLJ

When you are Team Shiny it isn't as much fun

What's "Team Shiny"??

I'm just not playing games online much these days. Been going through a bad depression spell and not feeling very social. Plus, I can't play the same game for years and years anyway. Mass Effect 3 was probably my record for how long I played it.

DAY 4 IMPRESSIONS:

-Online is just generally fucked which is terrible because I talked a few people into playing it. Oh well!

-now maining Pac-Man. Such an odd character but he's goddamn brutal if you use him right. Using the side-B to come down on yourself like a prepped uppercut hurts about as much as a smash and has an up and side smash range. Also dropping the hydrant on people!

-I wonder if something happens if you go all one color in the Classic Run. Will need to try that later.

-The "Play Classic Mode To Get Money, Spend Money On Trophy Rush" cycle is vicious and also kind of meditative?

In hopes of having better online play, I tried to connect my 3DS to my 5GHz WiFi connection. Turns out it doesn't support it.

So, as a second effort, I tried to lighten to load on my 2.4 GHz connection by switching my iPhone 4s, X-Box One, Wii U, and PS4 to 5 GHz. Turns out, only the X-Box One supports it. Fucking blows. Get with the future, Sony and Nintendo!

Well Fresh just mentioned he was playing on the 3DS but is everyone else on the Wii U?

I am just curious - my son desperately wants the game so I figure it will be either a Christmas present (or I will break down and get it for him earlier than that).

Since he only has the 3DS - that is the version he would be getting. I am just wonder if he will end up being horribly disappointed by that version.

Ah - okay. That makes a little more sense.

And just confirming - you get all the characters in both games - it is just that each system has some maps unique to its system, correct?

Well, there's a rumor out there that having both versions will unlock a few characters, but that seems like BS. So yeah, the roster is the same.

Stages are COMPLETELY different though. There's only 3 stages shared in both games (Battlefield, Final Destination, and Mega Man's stage). Every other one is unique to one system or the other.

There's also an exclusive mode to 3DS called Smash Run, but I don't like it. The Wii U will surely have some other exclusive mode, but we don't know it yet. There's still a lot about the Wii U version we don't know, because Nintendo has been focusing on the 3DS version since it came out first. For example, there's another rumor, and this one actually has some merit, that the Wii U version may have 8 player fights...

Smash Run is a five minute dungeon crawl (think the last big labyrinth level in Subspace Emissary in Brawl) to grab upgrades from base stats, at the end of which you play a randomly determined vs match. (Fuck those race stages, fuck them in the ear with a hammer)