DVDVR Message Board

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

My dreams are finally coming true... I can now use Super Smash Bros. to stomp out communists all around the world. I will end the Red Scare once and for all... through Smash Bros!!

AMERICA!!!!!

fFN8jQX.jpg

I wasn't expecting to see the NES Open Tournament Golf costume make an appearance. I wonder if Luigi has one too.

The leak appears to be real. Here's some videos of Bowser Jr. (Fighting in a Bowser car) and Shulk.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKwxhG3ioc6FDKupmlVHZQ/videos

Plus about 40 pictures:

Imgur.com/a/PzeCw

The leaker has also stated that Dixie Kong and Mewtwo are the last 2 characters. He didn't have them unlocked when he took the above screen shot. But hasn't supported that with pictures or video yet.

Yeah it is. I'm excited to try out Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr., Greninja, Little Mac and Pac-Man.

My only disappointments are the cuts of Ice Climbers (apparently the 3DS could not handle the two characters), the not-yet-confirmed Mewtwo (PLEASE! Brawl was so rough on me without my main character!), and Wolf. Really, who would rather have Falco over Wolf? Falco still plays a lot like Fox. Wolf was completely different. And awesome. Though he's rumored for DLC.

Wolf was completely different. And awesome. Though he's rumored for DLC.

That would be a first for Nintendo using DLC in that way if true. Will believe it when I see it.

They're getting better about DLC. They'd doing this Mercedes-Benz stuff for Mario Kart this week, Pikmin 3 had some additional challenge maps available, etc. Smash characters are just a natural fit for it.

and the Nintendo UK store just announced DLC for Mario Kart 8.  first one involves Link from Legend of Zelda, among others, and also introduces new courses and vehicles.

since we don't have a Mario Kart thread, i'm hijacking this one to say that i'm super psyched for the Mario Kart 8 DLC. i've got it preordered already. Went ahead and downloaded the Mercedes car pack also, since it's free.

Yep. No offense, Salad, but that's kind of outdated talking point. It's definitely happening.

I never said Nintendo doesn't do DLC. I said it would be a first for Nintendo using DLC in that way. They've always been very vocal about doing DLC right and 'pay just $x to get the rest of the game!' wouldn't fall into that. PIkmin 3's challenge maps, Fire Emblem's extra stories, Mercedez-Benz karts etc are all trivial extras. They've been doing new pokemon DLC since '96, but because they're integral to the game they're still leaving money on the table by giving them away for free. I didn't think they'd add new characters and courses to Mario Kart for this reason, but the packages revealed so far have novelty and (I know this is the wrong term for a game like Mario Kart) non-canon theming to frame them as distinct from and arguably even clashing with the original retail content.

Extra characters for Smash could happen but 1) it's a lot harder to argue that an incomplete fighting game roster is fully satisfactory as a standalone product, 2) not only are Sakurai games famously stufffed-to-the-brim with content but in Smash finding and unlocking that content is a key part of the game and 3) they've already spurned an easy chance to milk money out of the game by making Amiibos completely non-essential.

Adding extra characters or stages is not paying to complete the game. It's extra. And completely optional. I have no idea what you're talking about. Paying a few bucks to get Link in Mario Kart (which happened, he'll be out in November) is no different than paying a few bucks to get Wolf in Smash Bros.

For fighting games, the characters are the game. People begrudgingly buy fighting game revisions because they come with extra characters. This entire thread has been hopes, reveals and speculation about the roster and little else. The roster decides whether people buy the game, what abilities the player has and what the player has to do to get good. You said it yourself - Wolf plays completely different, so if you don't have Wolf you are missing out, but Link in Mario Kart doesn't change shit. He's a costume. He's horse armour.

And 'It's extra. And completely optional.' could be said of every piece of DLC ever released.

if you don't have Wolf you are missing out,

And 'It's extra. And completely optional.' could be said of every piece of DLC ever released.

And if I don't buy a gallon of milk, I'm missing out on milk. What's your point? You're buying a complete package when you pay your $60. It's already the largest roster in Smash Bros history. If you want even more characters, you'll have the option to buy them. You're basically just an anti-DLC guy.

• Like 1

And if I don't buy a gallon of milk, I'm missing out on milk. What's your point? You're buying a complete package when you pay your $60. It's already the largest roster in Smash Bros history. If you want even more characters, you'll have the option to buy them. You're basically just an anti-DLC guy.

You do understand that I've been trying to explain to you Nintendo's DLC policy (which has been stated outright, upheld 100% to date and appears to exclude holding back members of the Smash character roster for DLC unless it was a free update) and not embarking on some bizarre tirade at somebody on a message board for suggesting that Nintendo would dare act against my personal preferences, right?

I thought you were going to come back and explain how you thought extra characters in Smash could fit into that policy because I was interpreting it wrong, or maybe that Mario Kart 8 was a sign that financial woes had persuaded them to abandon it (both possible), but apparently all DLC is the same anyway because it's all extra so giving examples of what types of DLC a publisher would find more acceptable than others and why is a sign of someone hating all DLC / games / capitalism.