DVDVR Message Board

2014 G1 Climax

Ryan

Shibata and Nakamura might be my new MOTY. That was everything I loved about 2004 New Japan from two of the guys responsible for me loving Japanese wrestling to begin with.

Did the match feature any wakigatames? If so, you're biased!

Shibata and Nakamura might be my new MOTY. That was everything I loved about 2004 New Japan from two of the guys responsible for me loving Japanese wrestling to begin with.

Did the match feature any wakigatames? If so, you're biased!

Ha, it did not! It also didn't feature Kawada's theme playing at any point during the match. Though I'm probably still a bit biased because Shibata's one of my all time favorites and I got the result I wanted AND it was a really fucking good match on my birthday.

Whole second half of that show sounds spectacular. Like we were all watching the wrong PPV.

Wrong PPVs plural for me... I watched Battleground and Dragon Gate Kobe World (which wasn't bad, but was below expectations).  Womp womp.

I still haven't seen the 8/8 show from the 2004 G1 because those two top the card and I couldn't imagine anything topping it on a personal level.

Honestly, I enjoyed everything, sans Gallows/Shelton.  I found Ishii/Fale and Anderson/Tenzan to be fun, and Nagata/Koji was really solid.  Same for Naito/Yujiro.  No complaints about anything really.

I think I'm the one person that enjoys Yano vs Minoru matches, too.

It was a really good show. Only thing that really bothered me was Takahashi recklessly dumping Naito on his head with a Gordbuster, a month after doing the same to Ishii with a botched Buckle Bomb. 

He also fucked up with Okada in the second Styles match.

Video of the fuck up (credit: SenorLARIATO)

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/BtDUfSKCAAAISao.mp4

Day 1 (no spoilers)

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Big Lump Fale Surprisingly good considering it's Fale but Ishii again is awesome here

Shelton Benjamin vs. Doc Gallows: very skippable

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson: Decent, skippable if you don't have the time

Satoshi Kojima vs. Yuji Nagata: very enjoyable

Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki: Skip it

Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi: Good inspite of Yujiro's usually shittyness

Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto Not a big fan of it, still decent

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomoaki Honma huge fun, Tanahashi as awesome as always, Honma proving he deserves his spot. Crowd loved it.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Katsuyori Shibata Not as great as i was hoping but still pretty good. Some are saying MOTYC but not for me.

Kazuchika Okada vs. AJ Styles: The worst of their three matches but still good. FWIW I'm not a Styles guy so maybe you'll like it more than me.

Only watched the finals three matches so far.

Enjoyed Honma/Tanahashi.

Unfortunately, Shibata/Nakamura did not live up to the hype, although it was a very good match.

While not being a big Okada and Styles fan, I actually enjoyed this match more than their first (haven't watched their 2nd), probably because it was short and simple, and featured minimal outside interference. Also, can anyone explain to me why Gedo just stands around while Yujiro interferes? I just find that funny.

Still working through Day 2, but LOVE Tenzan's performance against Okada.  Best match he's had literally in years.  Nice turn back the clock type match.  On that note, Yujiro vs Goto was probably a top 3 match for Yujiro too.

AJ/Yano could have been a disaster, but like you said, it was a lot of fun.  AJ didn't try to make Yano do anything he's not capable of, it played to Yano's strengths, and it did it's job.  Was also very pleased with Tanahashi/Gallows.  Good big vs small match.  I'm wondering if this year will have anything as amazing as day 4 last year.