DVDVR Message Board

Random TNA News - may contain peanuts, spoilers or Orbitz gum

Most people thing Spike has no issue in keeping TNA long-term. The year-end extension may just be to give them time to find another solution.

What does that even mean? And who are these "most people"?

Sorry, made a typo and worded it vaguely. I mean to say that the thinking is Spike has no intention (not issue) of working out a long-term deal. They're just trying not to hurt the company by giving it some time to find a new home.

Most people = articles I've read on the extension. FWIW, the only other website I use besides this one is Metlzer's, so most of the coverage I've seen is articles in mainstream press//websites that cover cable ratings and such - not dirtsheets. Supposedly, the cable industry thinks Spike is going to get out of the wrasslin' business.

Would love to read some of these mainstream articles. Source?

Well, clearly the cable industry is colluding with Meltzer and TMZ to lie about the situation, because EN090 seems to know what's going on better than anyone else but remember he's not an apologist for TNA so don't you dare call him that.

Meltzer doesn't lie...he would need to know what is actually going on to do that. No, he just guesses, which is why his story changes constantly. Two weeks ago they had no other networks lined up, now they've got options. Last fall the Carter's were ready to get out and sell, had numerous buyers lined up, etc.

Throwing shit against a wall and waiting for something to stick apparently makes him a reliable source to the IWC.

His wording is so cute too. "Most people believe", "the thought is...", etc. Always trying to leave himself just enough of an out.

The thing about the lowball offer is that they won't even get all of that money since they have to give a big cut to the company they hired to negotiate for them. I don't think they are going to have enough money to produce TV. Unless they start doing insane tapings of a few months at a time.

It was also mentioned earlier in the other thread that Spike would have extended the same courtesy to WWE, but WWE was clearly on it's way out, among other things, and Spike did nothing to help WWE.

ECW, not WWE.

You know the second they do a massive five month taping for Velocity, half the roster will quit and whoever they've put the belt on will get hurt.

If Chasing Classic Cars somehow gets their budget cut or something because of this alleged potential TNA deal, I'm going to be super pissed. I'll fire off a nasty Tweet and everything.

• Like 1

So is eno saying that Spike is A ok with TNA and just waiting for the right moment to renew at the last second? I'm so perplexed by his arguments.

Also who was it that verified everything about the same rumors? Toby Keith in some magazine?

The thing about the lowball offer is that they won't even get all of that money since they have to give a big cut to the company they hired to negotiate for them. I don't think they are going to have enough money to produce TV. Unless they start doing insane tapings of a few months at a time.

It's been mentioned that TNA as we know it would be over if they took the Velocity deal. This is a channel that considers 0.5 an amazing rating for God's sake.

Essentially 1) production would have to be reduced to ROH-levels 2) anyone not getting paid $300 a night would be gone 3) no more house shows.

So is eno saying that Spike is A ok with TNA and just waiting for the right moment to renew at the last second? I'm so perplexed by his arguments.

Also who was it that verified everything about the same rumors? Toby Keith in some magazine?

My argument is that TNA currently airs on Spike TV and his not been canceled, despite the false rumors. If you have any official word, from either party, of a cancellation, you should post it.

The Toby Keith stuff was never verified but people take it as fact just because Meltzer said it. Would love to hear verification about the supposed sale from someone other than the guy that needed to cover his ass for getting it wrong.

It's been mentioned that TNA as we know it would be over if they took the Velocity deal. This is a channel that considers 0.5 an amazing rating for

"Its been mentioned" huh? Who's mentioned this, exactly?

Sounds like you went to the Meltzer school of ambiguous bullshit.

MVP on Sam Roberts: "how you gonna call yourself a wrestling fan and hope for any wrestling company to die?"

also the thing about how ONE MILLION PEOPLE is a lot of motherfuckers to get to watch your shit. this isn't some kinna public access show with 341 viewers & I wonder why haters still (giddily) squeal shit like "look at them they can't even get more than one million viewers"

I keep wondering why Dixie wants to stay in the business (or, at least, why Bob Carter wants to keep her in wrestling).  I wonder the same thing about Stephanie McMahon, but that's more understandable.  Steph was raised in and around the business, probably wants to keep the company in the family, married a wrestler who is now working in the front office, etc.  Dixie isn't a wrestler, doesn't have any prior ties to the business (that I know of.  Correct me if I'm wrong), no family obligations.  She went to college and, at least on paper, has a solid resume (aside from running a floundering wrestling promotion).  It doesn't seem like she would need to rely on whatever salary she draws from TNA.  Nor does it seem like TNA will be her ticket to fame and fortune like the McMahons. 

The Carters seem invested in keeping her in TNA even if the company is sold.  But... why?  It seems like she should have other options.  Better options, at this point.  Unless she really loves the business or being on camera (which she's done relatively little of until recently), I don't get the attraction.  She doesn't strike me as a carny, so...... why not go back to something that's more mainstream?

What about her doesn't strike you as carny? She's been carny as hell from the get go...just as carny as Vince. The whole Russo situation is the most recent example, but you can go back to the whole ordeal with Jesse Sorenson if you want another example. I am sure others can go back further.

I keep wondering why Dixie wants to stay in the business (or, at least, why Bob Carter wants to keep her in wrestling).  I wonder the same thing about Stephanie McMahon, but that's more understandable.  Steph was raised in and around the business, probably wants to keep the company in the family, married a wrestler who is now working in the front office, etc.  Dixie isn't a wrestler, doesn't have any prior ties to the business (that I know of.  Correct me if I'm wrong), no family obligations.  She went to college and, at least on paper, has a solid resume (aside from running a floundering wrestling promotion).  It doesn't seem like she would need to rely on whatever salary she draws from TNA.  Nor does it seem like TNA will be her ticket to fame and fortune like the McMahons. 

The Carters seem invested in keeping her in TNA even if the company is sold.  But... why?  It seems like she should have other options.  Better options, at this point.  Unless she really loves the business or being on camera (which she's done relatively little of until recently), I don't get the attraction.  She doesn't strike me as a carny, so...... why not go back to something that's more mainstream?

Maybe she started out with good intentions but it's rather clear now she likes being a TV star. Not sure why else her parents turned down a perfectly decent offer from Toby Keith because he refused to keep her as an on-air character.

Smoke to the fire?

**A story came out on Monday and was first reported by the Wrestling Inc. outlet that TNA is in talks with the Velocity station (which is run by Discovery Channel) as a backup option, should TNA and Spike TV not come to a new agreement. The story indicated that Velocity would only be able to commit to 25% of the rights fee that Spike is currently paying TNA for the programming and would result in drastic changes to the company and the obvious question if TNA could even continue running with such a large rights fee decrease. The LAW reached to Velocity for a statement regarding the story and stated that: “Velocity has no comment on these rumors”.

Maybe she started out with good intentions but it's rather clear now she likes being a TV star. Not sure why else her parents turned down a perfectly decent offer from Toby Keith because he refused to keep her as an on-air character.

AND she wanted to still be the kayfabe owner of the company.  Not just in the storylines, either.  She wanted the new owners to essentially let her pretend to everyone that she still ran the place.  This amount of delusion is almost admirable.

It's been mentioned that TNA as we know it would be over if they took the Velocity deal. This is a channel that considers 0.5 an amazing rating for

"Its been mentioned" huh? Who's mentioned this, exactly?

Anybody with a basic knowledge of economics.

Taste aside, I've always felt like TNA gets unfairly judged for not being bigger than they are.  A million viewers isn't anything to sneeze at and the majority of those are clearly ridiculously loyal viewers at that.  Raw averages 4, SmackDown 2.  WWE is like 100 times bigger than TNA and their flagship program only does about 4 times what TNA has managed to do on a comparable network on an arguably more competitive night.

Where TNA does deserve condemnation is from failing to develop any revenue streams to properly exploit those million viewers into spending any money on TNA.  They're just like WCW in that they're completely blind to anything but TV ratings.  In the pursuit of ratings, they've neglected every other revenue stream including PPVs and live events even though the main reason to produce a nationally broadcast television program is to have an avenue to promote the brand and sell those specific products to the public.

Dixie going through a table got promoted for a week.  That episode garnered their highest rating of the year.  The next week delivered their lowest.  And the next week went even lower although they did change days.  There's lessons to be learned in there including a hilarious lesson about placing your destiny in the hands of others.

• Like 1

Taste aside, I've always felt like TNA gets unfairly judged for not being bigger than they are.  A million viewers isn't anything to sneeze at and the majority of those are clearly ridiculously loyal viewers at that.  

These are the ones I am genuinely perplexed at.  Like, I totally get how you not like WWE: it's too kiddy-friendly; there's no cussin'/boobs/blood; too much Cena; not enough Cesaro/Wyatts/Bryan; don't personally like Vince McMahon/harbor a grudge over runnning WCW/ECW/various territories out of business etc. etc.  I get that.  What I don't get are the die-hard TNA fans who flood message boards (not this one), Raw reports, Youtube videos with comments like "TNA is the best wrestling on TV", "TNA is better than WWE", etc. etc.  Like, I mean, this is a company that routinely BURNS its fans: Knockouts get the highest ratings so they cut the division's legs off and lowball the best worker while alienating the other top worker; bring in a guy the fans were clamoring for (Samoa Joe) then keep delaying his big push until the fans aren't into it anymore; run a poll allowing fans to vote for who gets a title shot then monkeying with the poll and/or using the poll to bury the guy the fans wanted; push WWE cast-offs at the expense of the more homegrown wrestlers that fans were loyal to in the first place; low-ball the franchise guy/face of the company into quitting and running down your company all over the net; build a several month storyline of one wrestler vs. your owner give him the rub of putting her through the table then don't bother to re-sign him letting months of build go to waste on a guy who doesn't work for you anymore.  

These are just a few of the ways TNA has flat-out basically flicked a booger in the eye of these loyal fans and...they're still loyal.  Where does this loyalty come from?  How did TNA do it?

I used to be an enthusiastic TNA fan in like 2002/2003 before I discovered ROH because it wasn't WWE. It didn't matter that the company wasn't out of this world or anything, 15/16 year old me just wanted to watch anything except WWE. I imagine most of TNA's fans are people who either 1) love any and all pro wrestling or 2) hate WWE so much that they'll watch whatever they view as the "alternate".