DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT 4 (and beyond)

Ace

8 hours ago, AxB said:

I'll be PS4... at some point. Haven't bought one yet. Cash flow issue.

Hey man, I dunno if they're still running the offer but I bought my PS4 on an Argos store card on 0% finance last summer. Works out to about £23ish a month

My thoughts

- God, I hope that Peebee isn't the actual name for the Asari in the game.

- Good to see they kept the concept of flash fabricated Omni-Weapons from ME3 multiplayer.  Hopefully we'll see more Omni-Weapon based "powers" from ME3 co-op like the Frag Grenade Multi-Launcher (N7 Destroyer), the Homing Grenade (N7 Demolisher), and Ballistic Blades (Batarians) in addition to the Flamer.

- The Hyperion is capable of terrestrial landings and OVA, so it is probably about the same size as the first Normandy.

- So, we're going Star-Lord from GoTG now and we need maneuvering thrusters to dodge as well as jump.

- Ah, there is a reload alert on the HUD, so that means he's using thermal clips.  AxB is right.  His weapons are ME2 / ME3 timeline tech.

- There is also a health meter, so we're back to foraging for Omni-gel.

- Someone must've complained about Geth Engineers in ME3 co-op.  Ryder has a wind up animation before he uses Overload, so no more instantaneous flash arcs that steal your kills before you can open fire..

- I am saddened that there were no opportunities for Ryder to go for a grab in that combat gameplay demo.  If they've taken grabs completely out of the game, I am going to be very very very angry.

In terms of characters, I think they're going for the idea that this is Mass Effect, but not as you know it. That the characters who agreed to leave the Milky Way behind and start over in Andromeda are mostly outcasts and rogues, and so you'll meet Turians who are anarchists and that. And Peebee rejecting whatever her Asari name was to go by that is an aspect of that concept. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, like.

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My thoughts

It is - that is like one of the very first things they revealed

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is - that is like one of the very first things they revealed

That may be the most awful name for an Asari that I have ever heard.

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

In terms of characters, I think they're going for the idea that this is Mass Effect, but not as you know it. That the characters who agreed to leave the Milky Way behind and start over in Andromeda are mostly outcasts and rogues, and so you'll meet Turians who are anarchists and that. And Peebee rejecting whatever her Asari name was to go by that is an aspect of that concept. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, like.

Odd how that mirrors real life colonization. 

Spain didn't exactly send the cream of the societal crop on the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria.

It takes rough hands to make a ship go the way you want it to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That may be the most awful name for an Asari that I have ever heard.

You're going to be even angrier when they name the sequel PeeBee's Big Adventure.

You'll be sent to find the cure for the Genophage in the basement of the Alamo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

My thoughts

- The Hyperion is capable of terrestrial landings and OVA, so it is probably about the same size as the first Normandy.

She goes by Peebee, but it is just a nickname. I assume we will learn her actual name over the course of the game.

I believe it was said that the Hyperion is smaller than the Normandy.

After a generally depressing last few months, hearing that this fucker is dropping in March (of 2017!  THIS YEAR!) made me more irrationally happy than anything in a long time.

Also: Team PS4.

Most of my ME3 online characters ended with names like "Volus Adept" or "Salarian Engine" (I ran out of characters) or "Stealth Geth". The early ones had names like Ax Blood, Ax Theory, Blood Theory et cetera, but when I realised that your PSN name appears instead of the character name I stopped using variants of my PSN name and started being unimaginative instead.

On my first playthrough, I called FemShep Helen, after Dr Helen Sharman (first British person in Space). Some months later, I found out about Shep being named after Alan Shepard (the first American in Space).

My FemShep was a Nordic blonde.  I named her Caitlyn because I have no imagination.

My BroShep was a black dude named Arion after a pretty obscure DC comic book character from a sword and sorcery joint and then came along Arion Foster to mess my shit up. 

I'd initially wanted to name him Travis after Travis "The Warlord" Morgan, another one of my favorite obscure DC comic book characters.

As with all of my African American game avatars, Arion Shepard had a soul patch.

If EA really wants to milk Mass Effect, they'd release Mass Effect 1 - 3 Remastered on PS4 (and yeah Xbox One and PC too).

For the nutty people that want to platinum/100% or get all the gamerscore again with their new consoles (and make them look great on 4K resolution with 1080p/60fps).

I still need to do Mass Effect 1 - 3 on PS3 first, so by the time I get ME: Andromeda, it'll be Black Friday 2018 (or 2019).

16 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

If EA really wants to milk Mass Effect, they'd release Mass Effect 1 - 3 Remastered on PS4 (and yeah Xbox One and PC too).

There are a lot of mixed signals being broadcasted whenever that topic comes up:  EA always says "we're looking into it," and Bioware always says "don't hold your breath.".

The original titles are already backwards compatible for XB1, so Bioware's time is best spent developing Andromeda and if they want to revisit ME 1-3, they can do the next best thing and revisit the pricing for the original games and the DLC.   A 20% price reduction would be a step in the right direction.

If EA / Bioware / Microsoft really wanted to be awesome, ME1 and Bring Down The Sky would be Free With Gold during the entire month of March.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Or you could have just downloaded ME2 on the PC directly from EA yesterday...

I have ME2 and already bought the DLC.  The licenses are still good so I can download the content as many times as I want to and can play on the XB1 whenever.