DVDVR Message Board

Best Performance of a Finishing Move

The Diamond Cutter was possibly the best finisher of its time, but I don't feel that power bomb one. It's too contrived.

The one he hit out of the Jackhammer on Goldberg was the end of the streak to me. It was over. Done.

Just beautiful -

That's my Diamond Cutter pick and for Goldberg's best match.

Second The Undertaker's Tombstone Piledriver on Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVI and Daniel Bryan's running knee to John Cena at SummerSlam 2013.

So in a way a lot of the best moves are borne out of counters (DDP, Jericho) or retaliations to other moves (Nigel)

Its the unexpected-ness (if thats a word) to the move.

I say the best finishers have this (outta likes bout you'll get one) and the ability to hit it regardless of shape/size.

• Like 2

You know, I was solidly in the camp of the finisher that could come out of nowhere was the best type. But now that we're at a point where wrestlers are putting together crazy counter sequences and finishers aren't always leading to pinfalls - it seems less important an attribute. 

REY MYSTERIO TAKING MOOVEZ

The guy taking the move also makes it very memorable, Aries' sell of the Nigel lariat above is one example. Another one example, the most memorable stunner ever:

Ans these are, without question, the two best spears ever done by Goldberg:

Speaking of Kofi, I think my favorite Trouble in Paradise kick was Survivor Series when he rolled up Punk and then just nailed Orton with it right after to win the match. I was certain Kofi was going to the moon after that.

Five years later....

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THAT BEFORE. 

I wish Kofi was better than he is. I really want to like him, and he seems like a cool dude. Then he jump chopspunchesshoves a guy and I just look at me shoes uncomfortably until he's finished.

I can't find the actual best RKO ever, but it's from Smackdown during the build to Mania 22.  Rey's wrestling Finlay, the ref is distracted, Rey goes for the Springboard whatever, Orton comes from off-screen to catch him perfectly with the RKO, meeting right at the perfect height.  Then he rolls out of the ring and walks away never even looking back to see if Rey kicks out, because of course he doesn't.

It matches the high concept of catching Evan Bourne out of the SSP, but with much better execution (that one was awesome watching it happen, but the slow-mo replay really ruined it immediately, as you realize Orton just barely touched him right before he hit the mat.)

And, again, it's Rey, so you know it looked good on his end.

I can't find the actual best RKO ever, but it's from Smackdown during the build to Mania 22.  Rey's wrestling Finlay, the ref is distracted, Rey goes for the Springboard whatever, Orton comes from off-screen to catch him perfectly with the RKO, meeting right at the perfect height.  Then he rolls out of the ring and walks away never even looking back to see if Rey kicks out, because of course he doesn't.

It matches the high concept of catching Evan Bourne out of the SSP, but with much better execution (that one was awesome watching it happen, but the slow-mo replay really ruined it immediately, as you realize Orton just barely touched him right before he hit the mat.)

And, again, it's Rey, so you know it looked good on his end.

Destroyed the part of Miz' brain that understood how to execute the figure four.

I am not one of those "Why is The Miz in wrestling" people, tho he is probably the most annoying shit ever, but only two good things he has done since winning the WWE title were getting a couch thrown at him and getting his fucking head kicked in by Kofi.