DVDVR Message Board

The Godzilla Franchise

GojiColin

Yes, Godzilla Minus One is as good as everyone has been saying. Prob even better than Shin Godzilla. Maybe best film I've seen this year.

Spoiler

And I popped huge for the use of the Classic Toho music.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Minus One yesterday. Enjoyed the heck out of it. The characters are deep and they do a great job of establishing the world they're living in. I think what I appreciated most is that we get to SEE Godzilla - a lot. And he looks awesome. And kicks butt. 8/10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

We talked about it on the pod, but do you know I really would have loved to see, in a totally fan service moment? 

Hide contents

Godzilla vs the Yamato. If they fudged history just a little, it’s not unreasonable.

Spoiler

Its wrong, but now not only do I want to see this, but I want to hear the Space Battleship Yamato theme playing as they fight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a cool idea. But it strikes me more as a Blu Ray special feature than something getting a full on theatrical release. But, if it makes them more money and keeps Toho releasing them over here, more power to them. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just got back from Godzilla X Kong: the New Empire. it was.....fine i guess? Of the Legendary movies, King of the Monsters is the only one that i thought was good. I'd say this one is my least favorite of them. Complaints/more thoughts inside:

Spoiler

Trapper, the convenient ex-boyfriend of the Monarch head, is not only the biologist/zoologist/dentist that they call, but he's also a mechanical genius, and also an expert tracker, and also a top notch pilot. Not bad for somebody who they described as "unwilling to grow up".

am i alone in thinking Skar King seemed like a pretty minor threat to King Kong? Like, without Shiva (?), Kong should have been able to take him out en route to the actual bad guy? 

so last film we introduced the Hollow Earth concept, so even though they mentioned that it's only 5% explored, now there's another tier of hollow Earth-ness? seems superfluous to me. Speaking of superfluous, Kong's axe that seemed like it was supposed to be such a huge deal last film was really not a factor whatsoever, was it?

all of the human characters were completely unlikable. I've thought that about every one of the Legendary pictures films so far, but it certainly continues here. Also, there was zero plot development within Monarch, despite them mentioning that the government wanted to get their hands on the research outposts and operation. We never heard or find out what happens to the sub that was tracking Godzilla into the arctic- they're just not mentioned again. The handful of glimpses we get at Monarch HQ are never followed up on, either. Maybe there is a correlation with the Monarch tv show that i didn't watch?

the "recon" team that goes into the Hollow Earth was possibly the worst grouping of all time. Just completely unequipped to handle any situation they would run into (except, as it turns out, running into an undiscovered tribe of Iwi people. I guess that's lucky.) Speaking of that away team, at one point they mention that they can't get in contact with HQ and just decide "well, we better keep going." NO. return to the ship, make contact, get reinforcements/evac or whatever. WORST DECISION MAKING EVER.

As mentioned in the dvd thread, the Criterion godzilla box set is 30% off this weekend. 

Also, Marvel is going to publish an Omnibus of the 70s Godzilla comic (we did a pod on it a few months ago). 

Haven't seen Godzilla X Kong yet, but I've heard about a scene, and I have to know if it's true:

Spoiler

I heard there was a scene where Godzilla and Kong have a misunderstanding, but Mothra talks to Godzilla and straightens it out. Like, Mothra stands there and makes Mothra sounds and they cut to Godzilla being all, "oh, right" (but with Godzilla sounds, of course) and then Godzilla is convinced and all is well between he and Kong. Please tell me this is true.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:09 PM, Log said:

Haven't seen Godzilla X Kong yet, but I've heard about a scene, and I have to know if it's true:

Hide contents

I heard there was a scene where Godzilla and Kong have a misunderstanding, but Mothra talks to Godzilla and straightens it out. Like, Mothra stands there and makes Mothra sounds and they cut to Godzilla being all, "oh, right" (but with Godzilla sounds, of course) and then Godzilla is convinced and all is well between he and Kong. Please tell me this is true.

a scene like that DOES happen, but that explanation certainly overplays it.