DVDVR Message Board

The Godzilla Franchise

GojiColin

• 2 months later...

Comet Network is running 4 days of Godzilla double features starting this Monday at 9AM EST.

Monday, July 12th:

• Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah:  Giant Monsters All-Out Attack!
  • Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla 2

Tuesday, July 13th:

• Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla
  • Godzilla:  Tokyo SOS

Wedensday, July 14th:

• Godzilla vs. Destroyah
  • Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

Thursday, July 16th:

• Godzilla vs. Megaguirus:  The G-Annihilation Strategy
  • Godzilla 2000

I'm pretty impressed with the list.  They managed to pick some movies that aren't in the usual rotations.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

*BUMP*

For those with Alamo Drafthouse theaters...

Special 4k Restoration screenings of 1954's Gojira on 11/3.  

Plus throughout the month, they'll be showing other rarities like Godzilla vs. Hedorah 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Godzilla movies are on all week on Comet's morning movie blocks.  

Godzilla vs. Megalon is on right now.  I think I hate the kid sidekick in this movie more than Rippa hates the crippled kid in Rumble In The Bronx.  The actor that played that kid, Hiroyuki Kawase, is probably as old as I am now.

When you're a kid, you don't notice things like the movie producers splicing the city destruction footage from Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster into this movie in order to cut costs.

At least we got Jet Jaguar added to the canon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Obviously the main hero dude in Terror of Mechagodzilla did not take any of our operations security classes since he just causally starts talking about the top secret supersonic wave beam project to his girlfriend where it is overheard by the evil space aliens.

e1ff826cfd212d0751faa21221fbbbc5.jpg

Comet is gonna be airing Godzilla movies every morning for Hella Godzilla Week next week, or maybe it already started because they have. Megalon was just on again and I was reminded that John Belushi did what I thought was an intro for it when it debuted on NBC, but the real deal was he did interview segments with "Baba Wawa" (Gilda Radner's Barbara Walters character) from SNL in between the movie and commercials: https://www.facebook.com/berniejourney/videos/babawawa-johnbelushi-godzilla-snl/477402403045361/

Also I will have no badmouthing Megalon no matter how annoying you think the kid is, dammit! That was my first Godzilla and it still rules. There's judo throws, gorilla press slams, flying dropkicks...

• Like 1

Hella Godzilla has been on all week.   That kid in Godzilla vs Megalon still annoys the shit out of me, but he did fly a model fighter jet directly into the face of that evil Seatopian when he and Inventor Goro went to their house to take back control of Jet Jaguar.  That was pretty badass.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

What are your thoughts on the latchkey kid in Son of Godzilla?

You mean the kid from All Out Monster Attack?  I cannot hate on Ichiro.  I was a latchkey kid myself when my dad worked graveyard and my mom worked days.  I sympathized with Ichiro.  I saw a lot of myself in him when I was that age, especially Ichiro having to be his own best friend.

I think All Out Monster Attack gets a bad rap.  It's pretty much reviled as the worst Godzilla movie ever made, but it is more of a scathing criticism of Japanese society of the time (kids left to raise themselves because their parents are overworked, etc.) and a handbook on how to stand up to bullies than it is a kaiju movie.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Watched Godzilla vs. Megalon today on Mission, the sci-fi channel native on the WatchFree+ line up native on Vizio smart televisions.  It came on right after Space: 1999.

Either I must've been blind as a kid or the US did not get the Japanese version of the movie when it came to the states.

How did I as a prepubescent youth not notice the American nudie magazine pics taped to the back of the cab of the truck that the bad guys hired to take the container holding Goro and Rokuro to Seatopia?

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Watched Godzilla vs. Megalon today on Mission, the sci-fi channel native on the WatchFree+ line up native on Vizio smart televisions.  It came on right after Space: 1999.

Either I must've been blind as a kid or the US did not get the Japanese version of the movie when it came to the states.

How did I as a prepubescent youth not notice the American nudie magazine pics taped to the back of the cab of the truck that the bad guys hired to take the container holding Goro and Rokuro to Seatopia?

Definitely the latter. The U.S. cut is pretty significantly butchered. 

• Like 1

I JUST noticed those when it was on Comet the other day. How Comet missed them is beyond me, because they even blur out blood in movies. I must've only got the US cut too; it was one of the first movies I ever owned because my dad bought it on VHS from Walmart along with Night of the Living Dead and a broken copy of The Phantom of the Opera. 

• Like 1