DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It really started during his title reign.  He cut the really good promo where he'd flipped the spinner logo upside down to make it a "M" and then pretty much immediately after that, it became obvious that he no longer gave a shit.  Why, exactly, he lost all motivation in the middle of his reign as WWE champion, while feuding with the biggest star of his generation, and building to a Wrestlemania main event, is beyond me.

Why do I feel like Miz's title run exposed him and ruined his career? I don't remember him being as awful or hated before he won the WWE Championship.

He really wasn't, he was a darling here during the Miz n Morrison days and during his initial heel run after the team broke up. Then he got the belt...

Miz and Morrison were so great. The Dirt Sheet, the matches with random guys like Yang/Moore and Colin Delaney, they were just fantastic assholes together.

• Like 2

Miz is an interesting guy.  He debuted as Smackdown host as a face, got booed mercilessly, started wrestling, JBL shit on him on commentary, he started to look competent and get over as "Hey, he's improving and trying", had the team with Nitro, got a decent singles push.  I think the start of the backlash was being paired with Bryan on NXT, but even after when he won the title he had a great promo talking about how far he had come, and he was a good chickenshit heel champ.  The problem is he seems to be the poster boy for the "Let's give a title reign to a guy to see how they do" era, only unlike Ziggler's two day reign and Swagger's reign, he was given the top belt and a WM main event.  Punk pointing to him as one of the things that soured him on the WWE certainly didn't help his reputation either.

His biggest problem is that he's been treated as a joke since winning the title... well, that and he kind of sucks.  Being given the figure four by Flair, only to fuck it up the time or two he used it?  

It really started during his title reign.  He cut the really good promo where he'd flipped the spinner logo upside down to make it a "M" and then pretty much immediately after that, it became obvious that he no longer gave a shit.  Why, exactly, he lost all motivation in the middle of his reign as WWE champion, while feuding with the biggest star of his generation, and building to a Wrestlemania main event, is beyond me.

Probably because he realized he was the third wheel in a one on one match.

• Like 1

Is Jake Carter/Jesse White any good? Your dad being Vader is an incredibly tough act to follow.

From what I recall of his NXT matches, he was okay, but nothing special was showing. IIRC, he was tagging with Corey Graves.

Is Jake Carter/Jesse White any good? Your dad being Vader is an incredibly tough act to follow.

From what I recall of his NXT matches, he was okay, but nothing special was showing. IIRC, he was tagging with Corey Graves.

The tag team with Corey Graves was at the very beginning of this iteration of NXT. I thought they were pretty good together, but they only had one or two matches before they were broken up.

After that he only appeared on the losing side of squash matches on NXT, until he was released in September of last year.

One of my favorite moments.  Cena pouting and walking away after Punk got the louder pop was a nice touch.  I still wonder if they told him Del Rio was cashing in the MITB instead of Punk coming out to get a natural reaction

I asked in the Gifs thread, but does Bradshaw hold the record for incremental gimmick changes?

Justin Hawk Bradshaw

Blackjack Bradshaw

Ministry Bradshaw

APA Bradshaw

Hansen-esque Texas Bradshaw

Proto-JBL APA Bradshaw

JBL

Cabinet JBL*

JBL*

Commishioner/Commentator JBL

Between 8 & 10 separate gimmicks which were all basically just small tweaks to what he'd been doing.  kinda crazy

Why do I feel like Miz's title run exposed him and ruined his career? I don't remember him being as awful or hated before he won the WWE Championship.

Because it did expose him. He actually did get worse in the ring post title run, and he was actually pretty loved here right before and during the first month or so of his reign. The thing with Miz is that he never had the presence, talent, or charisma to carry himself to the heights he entered with the 8 month long, main eventing WM, beating Cena at WM, etc. The longer he was the champ the more exposed he was, and being in between a feud between Rock and Cena killed him dead.

• Like 1

I remember Miz being pretty loved back in his tag team days with Morrison and then being over HUGE when he was US and Tag champ with Big Show, the whole crowd was loving everything he did for a while.

I actually think his title run was pretty good, The mini feud with Morrison and the feud with Lawler were great and felt very fresh. I think what mostly killed him was being the third distant wheel in the Cena/Rock feud and then being absolutely destroyed by Cena in the next couple of PPVs.

I remember it was Alex Ryley and Miz beating Cena for 20min with about 50 weapon shots and Cena still won in the end which was complete bullshit and the epitome of Supercena/CenaWinsLOL

Because it did expose him. He actually did get worse in the ring post title run, and he was actually pretty loved here right before and during the first month or so of his reign. The thing with Miz is that he never had the presence, talent, or charisma to carry himself to the heights he entered with the 8 month long, main eventing WM, beating Cena at WM, etc. The longer he was the champ the more exposed he was, and being in between a feud between Rock and Cena killed him dead.

This is dead on. Also that "I Quit" match with Cena was the nail in the coffin for him. One of the worst matches for Cena, and probably the worst match for that gimmick.

I have no problem with his career arc, though. Miz did show a lot of improvement in his team with Morrison and his solo MITB run, and it was worth a shot to put the belt on him. It didn't work out, and he's never been close to the title since. You could say the experiment ran a bit too long, but I don't begrudge WWE for trying something new.

How does Rollins clean up? Shave the guy, cut his hair, get him in a suit. Put Flair with him. This is like Ricky Morton in the York Foundation so far.

He could probably stand to trim his beard up, but don't mess with that hair. New ring gear will go a long way too.

I don't think putting Flair with anyone would do that person any good right now.

Have you forgotten his last apperance endorsing the Shield over Evolution?

I love Ric Flair, but he's a mess. I wouldn't trust him to not screw this up.

• Like 1

I think Flair can go play a heel. I think he could do it in his sleep. I think he could do it drunk off his ass and it still be a plus to anyone he was with for the most part. I'm not sure the road is a good place for him to be but I'm not sure anywhere is. 

I don't think putting Flair with anyone would do that person any good right now.

Have you forgotten his last apperance endorsing the Shield over Evolution?

I love Ric Flair, but he's a mess. I wouldn't trust him to not screw this up.

As sad as it is to admit, I totally agree. Ric is currently the saddest, slowest suicide by bottle of a public figure in recent memory.

I think Flair would have a difficult time getting booed. Once a guy reaches his level of legendary status, it just isn't gonna happen. People won't boo him, or Austin, or probably even Hogan at this point. Foley was in the same boat before his diminishing returns caused his welcome to be worn out.

He's Ric Flair. I want to boo him after hearing him talk on the pre and post shows. He's the most unlikable talking head imaginable, and that's who he actually is. That's not even him performing. A chunk of the audience has no emotional attachment to him because they started watching in the last six years. I think another chunk would actually be nostalgic for being a heel and some would want to play along for his sake.