DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

So Chris Sabin tweeted today that this is a unique period in wrestling history because more talent is unsigned than within the WWE. I sort of laughed because just the other day I was saying I felt as though this was the first time in a decade or so that there were no Indy superstars that remained unsigned. Am I in the minority? It seemed like a lot of people were agreeing with Sabin.

I think there's still plenty of talent in the Indies. Now, I don't think the talent level is as high as it's been in the past, nor do I agree with the notion that there's more talent that is unsigned than within the WWE. Still, when Chris Hero is still on the indies then there's always something to watch, and no matter what happened with him and the WWE I'd easily put him among the best workers in the world at the moment.

Looking at where our heads were at a decade(-ish) ago, here's the DVDVR 500 from November 2002. Leaving out WWE guys, or the guys in the big Japanese or lucha promotions and here's the top 10:

9) American Dragon

15) Low-Ki

21) Doug Williams

27) Chris Hero

41) Homicide

51) Ian Rotten

52) Christopher Daniels

53) Spanky

56) Colt Cabana

58) CM Punk

Everyone on this list other than Rotten has had time with at least one of WWE and TNA. Not always the longest of time, (Hero and Cabana) but enough for the company to make up their minds. And of course, this was 2002. A lot of guys came up since then. Castagnoli, Aries, Generico, Tyler Black, Moxley, etc.

Not saying there's not talented people out there, but Sabin's kidding himself.

I do think there's some danger involved in the notion that if WWE/TNA decides to cut ways with a guy then they're obviously not all that good. There are plenty of guys/gals who are super talented and were passed over/let go by WWE/TNA for whatever reason.

I do think there's some danger involved in the notion that if WWE/TNA decides to cut ways with a guy then they're obviously not all that good. There are plenty of guys/gals who are super talented and were passed over/let go by WWE/TNA for whatever reason.

Hero being Exhibit A.

I think if anything, there are more "under the radar" type indy guys that are getting attention than ever before.  There are very few Super Indy guys, but there are TONS of fringe guys out there that are doing great work.

If you sign the Briscoes,you also have to sign their 10000 chickens.

Not if they all come down with a mysterious case of laryngotracheitis.

(... which I still blame on the Young Bucks ...)

• Like 1

Nigel would be up there too, but we'll never really now because of his injuries.

If he could've stayed healthy, he had money written all over him. You slap the name "Wade Barrett" on him and throw him on Season 1 of NXT, and there's a decent chance of being able to pull off the Nexus angle to its full potential. 

• Like 1

I'd add Brian Cage to the list when we get to newer guys.  They're missing out.

I mean they had him as Kris Logan but man, the dude is jacked like a fucking monster now AND can work

Yeah, I've seen people saying that bulking up slowed him down, but then I saw him doing moonsaults and 619s this year and concluded that those people are idiots.

Does Joe really count as a missed opportunity? He's held most of their titles. The entire promotion is just one big missed opportunity.

That's certainly true, and in the long term it wouldn't have mattered, but I still think Joe should've beaten Angle in their first match.

• Like 1