DVDVR Message Board

For those Wrassling fans in the Portland, OR area

So my girlfriend and I are sitting in the terminal of LAX, waiting to board our flight for Portland when I realized that I never made a post on here to see if anyone is from that area. If there is anyone from Portland on here, any good places to visit during our trip? Also is anyone in the area that might be willing to meet up and grab a few drinks to talk about wrestling?

I'm originally from Seattle, but used to go to Portland very frequently. You want to check out Powell's Bookstore. It takes up two stories and a full city block, there's nothing quite like it. They have the new books mixed in with the used books, so you can often find prices ranging from $5.00 to $25.00 for the exact same book. Portland's pubs are great, I suggest The Elephant & Castle for a good lunch and game of darts. Another watering hole I enjoyed was the Horse Brass Pub. I'm sure there are lots of cool new places since I've last been there. Go through downtown on Burnside Ave. and you're sure to see somewhere that you want to visit. Keep in mind that these are tips from someone who went to (a.) watch rasslin, (b.) play darts (c.) buy books.

There should be statues of Buddy Rose and Rip Oliver downtown, but as far as I know there aren't. ;-)

• Like 1

Powell Books is a must-see, as OSJ mentions. Massive store with great selection. I also recommend spending a few minutes in their ultra-fancy rare books room, almost like a museum.

There are lots of brewpubs downtown, I can't even remember all of the ones I went to but I do remember that Deschutes had good beer and good food.

You'll definitely want to stop by Ground Kontrol (http://groundkontrol.com/), a classic video games arcade with a bar.

If you're a music fan...well I wasn't very impressed with the record stores I went to downtown.

One interesting place to eat, with good food, is The Kennedy School (http://www.mcmenamins.com/427-kennedy-school-home). It's a nice (but fairly reasonably priced) restaurant and bar in an old school building.

Thanks so much for all the info, guys. The girlfriend and I just landed and are currently trying to find our way out of the airport. Now to look for cheap motels! We're only here for a few days, and we're just gonna sleep in the room, so no reason to pay a ton for a nice room

A couple blocks from Powells is Gruner, a really good German restaurant.  There are also various food cart pods for eating a little more on a budget.

For people watching, I'd recommend both Pioneer Courthouse Square and Portland Saturday Market [which, despite the name, also runs on Sundays].  Saturday Market has a great variety of food [i'd recommend peirogis from the Polish food cart] and lots of little knickknacks that you probably don't need but are still fun to browse.