DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RICK MARTEL

RIPPA

Rick Martel is amazing.

Buddy Rose is even more amazing. 

Look at the compare/contrast between these two matches.

Match #1

This is a match mainly to get Martel over as a new top babyface in the territory. It's an interesting way to do it, bringing in the NWA champ and using your title defense with him against a brand new guy, but it works and helps to pop the territory. It's all control in the first fall and it's just a terrible structured match. 

Match #2

Night and day the way the match was structured and worked and the meaning throughout. And hell, I'm not even sure I picked the right Rose vs Martel match but it doesn't matter. They're all great. 

Super early stuff from Hawaii:

My favorite Martel vs Bock match 9/20/84 isn't online.

I LOVE this match though. It's probably one of my favorite tag matches of all time(which doesn't mean it's one of the best):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqnyBjGcLZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1h90uyBFUo

Dory and Terry are such dicks to Zenk and they expect Martel to get it. Three former world champions, part of a brotherhood, and a kid who had to earn his stripes. When Martel does NOT get it and stands up for his partner, they realize that they've got to slit Martel's throat from behind. Awesome match.

I love this too:

Funk in PR is amazing. 

It's actually pretty screwy how much Martel I've seen these last two years between the AWA set, all the Portland I watched, some of the PR I watched when Dylan was really into it, and a bit of the old WWWF due to hearing a Titans of Wrestling or two, with the Demolition stuff before that (there's another pretty good Strike Force vs Demos match I didn't post, at least one, and some good Can-Am vs Islanders matches, I think) and Martel/Piper vs the Sheepherders and more with Bock, just to scratch the surface. Then there are things not available like the Harley match from the AWA set, which I love because Martel REALLY feels like Harley's equal in that match. 

Usually when I do these guys, I kind of look at youtube and point to random things. Past the WCW matches, I had almost all of these in mind right from the get go. 

I was talking about this with Mark. Just imagine: Magnum went down late October 1986. Earlier that month, we had the first Can-Am tag match in WWF. If Martel had gone Crockett instead, he would have almost instantly been the #2 or 3 babyface. While he has some good babyface stuff in the WWF, just imagine the matches we would have gotten instead. 

I half assed Buddy Rose. If you do Bockwinkel, I will probably get fired. I don't have time for that this week. 

DEAN totally wrote up the Can-Am vs Funks match in the new DVDVR though. People should watch that. 

Also, one sign that I've seen way too much wrestling is that I can't remember if the twenty minute draw vs Bret is really good or really bad. Someone should remind me.

DEAN totally wrote up the Can-Am vs Funks match in the new DVDVR though. People should watch that. 

Yeah - you were on the roll when I was putting the finishing touches on the issues and I almost posted to say you were going to be happy but I just wanted to get the damn thing done

Awesome, awesome stuff. I still maintain his entrance at Wrestlemania VIII is one of the best - he literally shows/tell you everything you need to know about the character of The Model in one ring-walk. Plus his music was amazing. Fuck your pyrotechnics, all I need is a spray of arrogance and for a guy to show me the lining of his jacket

I think that Matt posted every Rick Martel match ever done.

I love Martel.  The man is athletic and knows how to put a match together.  He knows how to be a complete dick as well as a fiery babyface.  That's all you can really ask of a good worker.  

The one thing I hate about gimmick riddled WWE was that The Model schtick wasn't really something that Martel could ride to the Heavyweight title.

I seem to remember Flair complimenting Martel in his book. He said that Martel could be just as smooth as Steamboat on a good night. I don't have much to add other than I've always liked Rick's work. He was extremely athletic and could seemingly work with anyone. However, when he was faced with a guy that could really go, Rick was able to kick it up to another level. Great, great professional wrestler.