DVDVR Message Board

FAT MAN TOP 50!! Pimp your fatboy

DEAN

Greetings gentle reader,

July 4 will debut the only list that matters- the top 50 fat wrestlers in pro wrestling. Our only request is that pimp your favorite fat boy with matches and then make your arguments.

WORD.

DVDVR

• Like 1

I whole-heartedly endorse this list. As a somewhat weighty youth, the fat boy wrestler was always my favourite type, and I look forward to checking out the other pimped competitors.

As I know Dave Mastiff is sure to get represented on here, I'm going to pimp local with "The Unit" Jim Diehard from Coventry's premier tag team The Henchmen. Partly because I'm in love with their gimmick, but I also think he's a really decent worker. Good promo, surprisingly sympathetic seller (the constant arm selling in the match below which gives his smaller opponent a realistic focal point), has good "flying Fatman offence" with a nice senton and a good flying shoulder block, and can switch between comedy and serious brawling very quickly. The singles below isn't as good as a lot of his tag bouts, but is a well-worked match in front of a mainly family-based audience

Super Porky is the light and the way.  Just one of those guys who is fat, his character is that he is fat, and wrestles like a fatty fat fat with cheese.

Fat man you say?  Brother, can we get an exception?

• Like 1

We'll do an all-time list AND a current list.  

For the current list- SONS OF SAMOA:  I can't remember which si the WORKER~! of the two.

To me, and this is just me, if there fat has nothing to do with the way they work then they really aren't a 'fat boy'.  So Dusty, Hansen and Gordy while being chubs or grossly obese in Dusty's case wouldn't be in consideration if you are asking me to rate fat boy workers.  The lard for them is incidental to who they are.  On the other hand, take away Vader's girth and half of what makes him a great is gone.  The splashes, avalanches and elbow drops are a key part of his work.  He also wouldn't be as physically intimidating if he wasn't built like a grizzly bear.

First two came to mind...

Mick Foley. Versatile with the three faces of Foley and one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. Must see matches:

Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne vs Nasty Boys. WCW Spring Stampede 1994

Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels. In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996

Dude Love vs. Steve Austin. WWF Over the Edge 1998

Mankind vs. The Undertaker. WWF King of the Ring 1998

Umaga/Youmanga. I don't think expected a gimmick returning like this in 2006. Umaga/Youmanga made it work. Haven't enjoyed a monster fat guy in the WWE as much since then having one of the matches of the last decade against John Cena in a Last Man Standing match at the 2007 Royal Rumble.

Must see matches:

Jeff Hardy series (2007-2008)

vs. John Cena. WWE New Years Revolution 2007.

vs. John Cena. WWE Royal Rumble 2007.

RAW Elimination Chamber match. WWE No Way Out 2008.

• Like 1

Here's a fat guy that history forgot: FUTOSHI MIWA!

Fatness was definitely a factor for this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypWFFRayCdQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJnz3Dzh5ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyV74Qm2gE

Why should this guy be included? He had one of the best fat guy finishing moves ever: Rolling over his opponent like a rolling pin! Case closed!

I'm confused.  There's only one mention of Tenta so far.  Are you guys being ironic or trying to avoid the obvious?

I kind of think that your take on him represents a pretty common cycle in wrestling fandom:

Phase 1 (when you're a kid): "He's funny an' fat YAY!!"

Phase 2 (when you first become an adult workrate snob): "Why would you even bother???" [also why can't I find the tilda for workrate on my mac keyboard?]

Phase 3 (when you loosen the fuck up):  "Holy shit, Earthquake was, like, the best guy!"

Phase 4 (after a few threads on DVDVR have pointed this out): "Guys, are we done collectively blowing Tenta yet?  Come on!  He's no Umaga!"

Phase 5 (blissful senility): "I've misplaced my pants.  GODDAMMIT, I'M NOT EXCITED ABOUT MOVESET!! I ACTUALLY CAN'T FIND MY ONLY PAIR OF PANTS!!!"

• Like 1