DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR Network Viewing Club: Clash Of The Champions XXXII

Haven't done in this in a while. It's been awesome picks by everyone and a ton of interesting gems. As you all know, WWE has uploaded all the Clashes! Yay! The shows can be found in the "Vault" section.  I picked a random event: Clash of the Champions XXXII. This Clash features Ric Flair teaming with The Giant to take on Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage! I'll be watching this tonight and try not to be as lazy as I've been and actually get cracking on getting this weekly listing somewhat structured.

Pretty fun show with lots of quick matches and memorable promos. Luger ruled during this run, always enjoyed Luger & Sting as a team. Had forgotten about the Blue Bloods great theme music.

Is this where Heenan drops the F Bomb? Wonder if that stays in uncensored?

Yep it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Date: January 23, 1996 in Las Vegas, NV (Caesars Palace)

The Big News: Sting and Luger are the new tag team champions after Luger used dubious means to secure the straps. Hogan/Savage are teaming up after the big blow up between the two regarding Hogan's true motives behind him celebrating Savage's second WCW WHC win.

AND OF COURSE THERE IS THIS:

54a29f329133752.jpg

Match Results:

The Public Enemy fought The Nasty Boys to a double disqualification.

Dean Malenko defeated Alex Wright

The Taskmaster (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Disco Inferno

Brian Pillman defeated Eddie Guerrero

Sting and Lex Luger © defeated Blue Bloods

Konnan defeated Psychosis

Ric Flair and The Giant (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth and Kevin Greene)

So let’s get this done rapidly, because tonight is, after all, another glorious episode of The Bachelorette, part of the ABC Family family.  Goddamn, who does  Andi Dorfman think she is anyway?  Wait, oh god, wait, tonight is the three-hour Raw.  Ohhhhhh no.  (Ugh, boo, wah, I hate my lifelong hobby of watching pro wrestling.)

The show starts off with two teams that were 90's cool. 90s cool isn't a good thing per say as a lot of the 90's 'cool' shit didn't transition well into the 2000's and are looked back on by fans as being pretty lame and definitely of its time. Its amazing that The Nasty Boys were as over for a long as they were and its equally amazing that Public Enemy was over at all. This match would give Chris Nowinski a concussion just from watching it. All four of these men do not give a shit and are doing their best to ensure they all see cartoon birdies after the match. At one point one of the members of PE are knocked off the ring apron, slips on the side of the ring apron, and hits his head on the side of the ring. A top rope moonsault from Rocco to Knobbs leads to a overly non-gimmicked table not breaking and the crowd trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Grunge tries to leave the ring and Saggs tosses the not completely broken table DIRECTLY onto Grunge's head. I'm sure Justin Strzelczyk is somewhere in the nexus watching this very match, rolling his eyes, and calling all four of these guys MARKS!

In typical late 90's fashion, this match lasted less than 5 minutes, had no conclusion, and was allowed no room to breath as WCW quickly went to a commercial. Mean Gene jokes followed by the arrival of Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck who are both dressed like the grand dads of two members of a Kings of Leon tribute band. Buck has that look in his hazel eyes that is both crazy and magical. Dick Slater slurs his words like he just came from a Honky Tonky in Nashville. Time for the next match WHERE THE BIG BOYS PLAY as The Man of 1,000 holds enters through the sparkling silver curtain wearing a small vest and bedazzled tights. Outside of Ahmed Johnson, I can't think of anyone from the 90's cool late 90's that had so much upside but didn't deliver (for whatever reason). Alex Wright, however is making a strong case. In reviewing his work from 96 and 97- this guy should have been a bigger star than he was. In 1997 the guy carried himself like a star and looked like one. In the 2000's Bald Alex Wright looked like the guy in every episode of "Locked Up" that no longer stays in general population because of all the rival gang members he killed.

This match was surprisingly short, but good for what it was. The segment proceeding the Alex/Dean match is one of the reasons why pro wrestling does not appeal to educated people with money. Kevin Sullivan in 1997 found himself in a very interesting place. The guy wasn't really over outside of his stuff with Benoit and decided to stick with the gimmick that got him the little heat he was able to get..and then Elvis came to the ring with a peanut butter,banana, and bacon sandwich. Watch this faux Elvis made me think of how Elvis died at the right time. In death- Elvis is remembered as a musical genius with iconic imagery. If Elvis had lived past 1977, I could see him doing this shot at the Clash rather then an impersonator, in futile hopes of 'bringing in the young kids'. The sociology experiment that is Elvis Presley will be something I never understand. People think all the goofy stuff Elvis did was some how seminal despite the obvious. And this is why EAP in WCW makes perfect sense.