DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 5/9/14

victor

After questioning the ethnicity of El Torito, (including suggesting he could be from Uganda, which was BEGGING for a Kamala joke, but nothing doing,) JBL went on to say "These bullfighters may not even be from Mexico. These bullfighters may be from Sri Lanka for all we know. They could be from Antarctica" Cole: "They could be from Puerto Rico."

I've never heard Cole get the best of so many of these since he ditched his heeling.

All I remembered after the show was the six-man match and all three SHIELD matches.

Afterward I was forced to remember poor Emma having to use the stupid pink sock.

It's a little weird that Mark Henry of all people has become the kayefabe weakest of the three SHIELD opponents featured on the show. He's due for a resurgence and Bryan needs challengers, so bring the heel turn!

Best match was Ambrose/Sheamus. Sheamus is very good (and underrated by many) and Ambrose is the BEST just as he ALWAYS is. Ziggler doesn't take the Brogue Kick even half as well as Ambrose does. Think about that.

Speaking of all these potential turns, is there any hope of Emma turning on Santino? It would just be a simple low blow and shouting "You made me dance wear a pink cobra sock!" Hell, she could even beat Santino in a match before moving on to give Paige a decent challenger.

• Like 1

Sheamus/Ambrose was beautiful professional wrestling. Sheamus gives and takes beatings like a man, Ambrose's rib selling was amazing as is his Thez Press and Nigel Lariat and I loved the count-out tease. When Sheamus had to bump, he bumped big with the suicide dive to the outside and the slam on the floor. Every single second of this was an awesome fight. 

Rusev seems like a dude they're building to face WWE champ John Cena but he's about 3 years too late for that train. If Bryan's title challengers go: Kane, Batista, Lesnar and he drops the belt to Brock, where does it go? But yeah, Cena/Rusev in, I don't know, October and then they can can the guy and move Lana to someone else.

Speaking of all these potential turns, is there any hope of Emma turning on Santino? It would just be a simple low blow and shouting "You made me dance wear a pink cobra sock!" Hell, she could even beat Santino in a match before moving on to give Paige a decent challenger.

If only. Man, watching Emma just makes me think of all of the wasted potential.

• Like 1

Rusev seems like a dude they're building to face WWE champ John Cena but he's about 3 years too late for that train.

3? Try 25. They're going for "eebil furriner" heat by assocating him with a country he's not actually from. He seems like a dude they'd have Hogan go over in 1987.

• Like 1

I almost feel like Dean was lying about all that paperwork. Perhaps he was too distracted by the titties he had to master. I mean look around backstage...Layla...Lana...Big E...

Ya'll know Lana did nude scenes when she was an actress, right?

now_counting_3_failed_attemptsand_im_out

I'm dying..  :lol:

Rusev seems like a dude they're building to face WWE champ John Cena but he's about 3 years too late for that train.

3? Try 25. They're going for "eebil furriner" heat by assocating him with a country he's not actually from. He seems like a dude they'd have Hogan go over in 1987.

Hogan wouldn't have worked with a guy that short.

They've already Hassan'ed Rusev after a couple weeks. Yeah, he was a **foreign** monster before, but really, Bulgaria is a pretty innocuous country. Now they're just like "Hey, Bulgaria is basically the same thing as Russia, right?" and have blown their load on cheap heat with the Putin tron. Plus his first name disappeared without a trace. I'll be surprised if he's on tv in 6 months.

• Like 1

So.... remember about a year ago when "Triple H only wants to call up people when they have an angle or feud waiting for them"?  Yeah, what happened to that.  Seems like most of the call ups lately get called up without any clear idea what they're going to do with them: Emma, Xavier Woods, Rusev.  Jury is still out on Paige.  I don't have high hopes for Bo.  His delusional heel act got over organically in NXT because they spent a lot of time trying to push him as a sincere heel.  They hit a run where they brought up guys and gave them a purpose.  Now they seem to just be calling up people to fill out the roster.

Everyone you listed did debut with an angle though; Emma debuted with an angle with Santino, Xavier Woods debuted with an angle with Brodus and Truth, and Rusev debuted with vignettes and squash matches to be built up like they would do 25 years ago.

Emma's thing shows how bizarrely stupid and lazy they can be.  Her debut angle was apparently supposed to be with Summer.  She was popping up during her segments with signs and generally being annoying.  It seemed like it might lead to some actual, like, matches.

Somehow, since Summer was paired with Fandango, they decided they had to pair Emma with someone.  So immediately it starts going a different, stupider direction with Santino added.  But in the middle of it they dumped Summer as Fandango's valet in favor of Layla.

So now, they're like "Then Fandango and Layla come out and fight with Santino and Emma"  "But I though Emma was feuding with Summer."  "But she always comes out when Fandango is there."  "Why?"  "..." "..." "..."  "So Fandango and Layla come out and fight with Santino and Emma..."

They fell into that thing where the story didn't matter as much as the "spot."  "Oh, that's the Fandango/whoever vs. Emma/whoever for whatever blah blah" spot.  I wonder why it's not getting people excited?"

The audience doesn't realize that Shaemus is now a heel, it happened on such a subtle level nobody saw it happen.

Remember Koslov? Rusev is likely gonna go the same route, in a few weeks, he'll be completely forgotten and gone. Except Lana. Instead of turning him into just another Nikolai Volkoff, they should have turned him into more of an Ivan Putski. But a good one.

Rusev is the new Brodus Clay to me.

It was subtle, but Sheamus did come off like a bully in the Ambrose match.  I get the sense they are kind of doing a slow burn to his turn over the next couple of weeks.  I thought his tactic of rolling up Ambrose's shirt over his head and targeting the injured ribs was pretty heelish.

Bulgaria is a pretty innocuous country

After reading the book McMafia and watching a British doc on Bulgarian prostitution among the Roma people... no, it's not. Not like the typical fan is going to know that but hey, for what it's worth

Hogan wouldn't have worked with a guy that short.

He worked with Orndorff and Savage.

Remember Koslov? Rusev is likely gonna go the same route

You mean he's going to score a clean pin over The Undertaker but not before he main events a ppv world title match after a lengthy undefeated streak over a bunch of credible names?

Probably closer to being in a comedy team with Santino before being released.