DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VI

Dolfan in NYC

You know I've seen a lot of people showing concern about these PPVs because they are on the network but at the end of the day I thought this show was well worth my ten bucks and was it really that much different than your typical B-PPV?

I don't think so... 

I'll pick a B-PPV out of thin air.  WWE Capitol Punishment was a June PPV in 2011. Here's the card:

Ziggler vs. Kofi for the U.S. title

Riley vs. Miz - Grudge match

Big Show vs. Del Rio

Wade Barrett vs. Ezekial Jackson for the I.C. title

Punk vs. Mysterio

Christian vs. Orton - World title

Bourne vs. Swagger

Cena vs. R-Truth for the WWE title

If Cena vs. Bray Wyatt would have delivered in the cage this would have easily topped Capitol Punishment but it was a little underwhelming. It's not that WWE took the month off...  We got an easy MOTY candidate with Evolution/Shield and some other fun bouts. If the cage match lives up to what I had hoped we are talking about a damn great show. As it stands, it was a solid show....  well worth the money.

BATISTA FASHION WATCH - SPECIAL PPV WORK TRUNKS EDITION:

Ass Eye of Ass Mordor: hand drawn from memory

I was confused by the Air Jordan logos on Batista's boots.  Not sure if Nike actually makes wrestling boots or if he was wearing sneakers with some kind of leather slip-on over top of them.

Finally watched the whole show, some thoughts:

WeeLC

- LOVED this one, 3MB and Los Matadores took sick bumps in there, give those guys some kind of reward. Drew's somersault into the table was one of the craziest bumps i've seen in years.

- Also loved JBelf  repeatedly saying "Maggle!".

IC Title Match

- Great seeing Barrett with the IC title again, he's just crazy over now and they sadly never gave Big E a chance to show personality.

- I hope they don't forget about the title now for another 6 months.

Shield vs. Evolution

- Shield/Evolution was great, Batista really had his working boots on tonight.

- Crazy Ambrose is just a joy to watch, one of my favorite faces right now just because he's so fucking weird but the people love it. 

- Rollins continues to die for our sins and i'm thankful for it. The first dive to the outside looked bad, thank god the one from the balcony went perfectly. 

- Reigns is great in the hot tag role just crushing everyone. But really needs to tone down his "hulk up" mannerisms and taunts a bit, besides the primal scream, everything else looks a bit too forced for my liking.

- I had no problem with Batista and Reigns being out in the ring for 5+ minutes because they both took a couple of strong finishers before it.

Cage Match

- The cage match just bored me, the whole feud gets  way too much into cheesy stuff that i can't stomach. It's unfortunate because Bray has shown that he can go in the ring without all the extra crap thrown in.

Divas

- I think the Diva's matches will get more and more over if they continue to let Paige do her thing in the ring for at least 5-10 minutes very show.

Main Event

- The main event was fun, it felt like a hardcore brawl from a 99-2000 PPV.

- Loved the CRAZY high headbutt from the forklift and i was miring Bryan's driving skills.

- Didn't like Kane getting up so fast in the end and finishing the show with his music, felt a bit weird.

- It seems they may do another Kane/Bryan gimmick match, i hope they get over that fast because, as fun as it is seeing Bryan drive a forklift, i want to watch the guy fucking wrestle for 30 minutes every PPV.

Overall an entertaining show, with the main event and six man tag it kinda felt like a big Attitude Era RAW or secondary PPV from that time, and, like Emma, that's fun fun fun.

The more I think about the 6 man the less I like it, though it still is a pretty good match. The long Evolution heat segment was too long and way too resthold heavy for a six man. Mainly though, I really hate the gimmick where a brawl breaks out and the the guys in the ring just lay there for an inexcusable amount of time so that the cameras don't miss anything in the ring while they're focusing on the outside brawling. That's what happened with Reigns/Batista yesterday, and it was a pretty glaring flaw within the match for me.

To be fair, Tista ate the Triple Powerbomb, a flat death move, and Reigns had taken a Pedigree and RKO in rapid succesion. I buy them playing dead that long

Yay copy

I was confused by the Air Jordan logos on Batista's boots.  Not sure if Nike actually makes wrestling boots or if he was wearing sneakers with some kind of leather slip-on over top of them.

Those are the Jordans that came out last year. Batista just zips the top fold all the way up. Ugly shoes.

Air-Jordan-2013-Men--27s-Shoes-Details-F

584832_601_A1.jpg

Speaking of fashion, I am discouraged that no one brought up how Heath's tights looked like he collected a bunch of stickers from a cereal box or Guitar Hero controllers and glue them on.

• Like 1

Thanks to watching old PPVs on the Network, I realized the serious flaw in Bray Wyatt's mission: 

RVD already did it. He brought the dark side out of John Cena in the ECW Arena at One Night Stand. That match is the closest to a full heel turn Cena's had in ten years. 

• Like 1

Glad to see WEE L C getting love here. It's being shit on by a lot of people. I fee it was clearly the second best match on the card.

If you are a wrestling fan who couldn't enjoy WeeLC, I do not want to watch wrestling with you.

It just made me bummed out for 3MB. That they were so desperate to get noticed that they almost killed themselves in a meaningless midget preshow match.

Poor Drew.

- It seems they may do another Kane/Bryan gimmick match, i hope they get over that fast because, as fun as it is seeing Bryan drive a forklift, i want to watch the guy fucking wrestle for 30 minutes every PPV.

I don't know if they'd do this immediately after a show that featured a cage match, plus there's already a PPV dedicated to the gimmick, but Hell in a Cell seems logical. They're playing up Kane as THE DEMON~!, so a gimmick match with hell in the title makes sense, and the HIAC was a staple of the May-June PPVs in the mid-2000s. 

I said it when 'Mania aired, and I'll say it again: Big props to Batista for continuing to defy what we think/thought his run was going to be and put over another strong babyface clean in the middle of the ring. First Daniel Bryan, and now Roman Reigns. He might not be the best worker, but he's going out there month after month and putting the young talent over (and most importantly, eating the pinfall cleanly).

• Like 1

I don't know if they'd do this immediately after a show that featured a cage match, plus there's already a PPV dedicated to the gimmick, but Hell in a Cell seems logical. They're playing up Kane as THE DEMON~!, so a gimmick match with hell in the title makes sense, and the HIAC was a staple of the May-June PPVs in the mid-2000s. 

Meltz is saying that if they can't convince Bootista to stick around for Payback, the plan is Bryan-Kane

Buried Aive, which would suck because those matches are never good.

• Like 2

That Kane/D Bry match was a lot of fun. Kane took a stupid amount of punishment for a guy his age/size. All those chairshots and those canings. A guy in the company for as long as him could easily say no to that, but he didn't and I respect him a lot.

I like Kane more than most, but I'm still not 100% sure if I can say that his feud with DB is going to retrospectively be a part of one of those "he's set up to fail by the booking" title reigns like, say, Mysterio's run (or even Punk's in some people's eyes). It would have such a bigger "architecture" if they had touched on the Team Hell No stuff more. With the Network, the barometer of what success/drawing is for a guy on top is sort of different now. I'm locked in for another 4 months, what am I, just not gonna watch the June "special event?" And, really, if not Kane, who? Many would say Brock but I'd imagine we're not going to see him until at least SummerSlam. HHH has 1) been done already, and 2) is tied up with the Shield. I wouldn't mind another Cena series, but I don't want to see the belt on him at all (even in a trading back and forth situation) and he's tied up with Wyatt. Read some rumblings about a Sheamus heel turn, and I've read that DB and he like working with each other. Maybe that's the way to go? What say ya'll?

Oh man, WeeLC has to be one of the greatest pieces of Wrestlecrap of all time - and I mean that in a good way obviously. I actually think 3/4MB really deserve a title reign. Nothing big; they can drop them back to the Usos after a few weeks and then decide if Drew should be finally taken out of the doghouse - guy is 28 and can still be a player.

I like Paige's stuff a lot but she's not quite got her pacing right for WWE somehow; doesn't bother me much but it bothers the crowd. She does remind me a bit of Kaitlyn in that respect, which should be a warning, although she is clearly better. I think the Scorpion Crosslock is a problematic finish because Natalya already does a lot of the obvious sequencing that would lead to that move as part of her matches. I like the fact that she wears Doc Martins in the ring though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3McjajsNE

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a single good reason why the commentators shouldn't be actually doing their job for once and putting Evolution over, other than personal bias against the members of the stable? If the commentators put Evolution over, and then the Shield beats them cleanly, it makes Shield look like a million bucks, no? There was plenty of shit on this show that people could be complaining about, so I think if you found fault with that you need to just stop watching WWE since nothing less than CM Punk taking a dump on Triple H's chest is going to satisfy you. The same goes for anyone still trying to pretend Bryan isn't being booked to look strong.

• Like 2

Watched this last night.

The low spot in the announcing was Bryan/Kane, particularly around the forklift bit.  The crowd was dead because the match had been backstage for several minutes, so it's up to those guys to be shouting like idiots so that the people watching at home won't be distracted by the silent crowd.  That was some piss poor announcing.  They should have just kept the little people in. 

I enjoyed the show overall.  I didn't even mind Cena/Wyatts so much for what it was, but of course I hated the kid thing.  I think what makes it so bad is how polished it is - it's not hokey fun like Black Scorpion or even the urn.  It's not B-horror, it's major motion picture flop. 

Due to the WWE Network completely fucking over all Chrome OS users, I had to watch this thing on a Windows tablet hooked up to my TV, so I ended up missing the interview with the kid due to my attempts at skipping forward via touchscreen.  Probably for the best.

Loved WeeLC, Shield/Evolution was better and kudos to Dave for selling like a champ for Reigns.   

Rusev "WHO NOW RESIDES IN RUSSIA!" and the Putin thing was great.  Liked Lana ordering him to do more destruction.  Two years ago, you'd assumed this was all a set-up to turn him into Cena food, but hopefully something better will come out of it. 

Punk pooping on HHH would be money. 

I actually liked the Bryan/Kane match for what it was. Bryan had to win since the Cena match ended on such a down note. Bryan/Kane however feels like filler material while they get ready for something else. I thought someone was gonna get put in the ice machine in the background.

The Cena match was just strange. This feud just drags on and on. I always thought involving kids in wrestling angles is always dangerous.

• Like 1