DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VI

Dolfan in NYC

He didn't actually "field" questions, though. The first guy asked one, but he didn't really answer it, he just went off on a diatribe then stormed out. And he fidgeted around uncomfortably the whole time he was talking. Seemed right in line with the gimmick.

RVD said belt like nineteen times.

RVD is held to different standards*.

*RVD isn't held to any standards at all

You know that script that leaked? RVD found out it existed the same time we did.

• Like 1

The triple threat wasn't anything special but the right guy won.

LOL at Lana declaring Putin her role model. They've got the Photoshop Lana and Rusev with Putin like they did with Slaughter and Hussein.

Yay for Bad News Barrett winning the IC title. Boo for the inevitable losing streak that comes with winning the title. I like Big E but they gave him nothing to do.

Evolution vs Shield was really fun. I thought Evolution would win but I guess Batista is leaving and coming back in a few months, maybe? 

Cena vs Wyatt was overbooked, too long and full of shit. The entire match was Cena beating Wyatt, trying to escape, beating Harper/Rowan and repeating it all over again. Little Johnny with Ole Anderson's microphone was so silly. They're completely over thinking the Bray Wyatt character and taking it into places it didn't need to go. I can believe in a crazed cult leader who talks about what may be a supernatural figure (Sister Abigail) because there's crazy cults like that. I can believe he has a children's choir because cults have kids. I can't get into a demon child. This is top level Undertaker/Kane bullshit and it feels out of place in 2014.

Paige vs Tamina was okay but some reason, they refuse to take the Divas out of the semi main event spot. They always have the Divas between a big match and the main event, hell, they did it at Mania right after Taker lost. It doesn't do anything but hurt them.

Daniel Bryan vs Kane was meh. The forklift stuff felt right out of the Attitude Era. You could see one of the ring guys with a fire extinguisher before Kane set the table on fire. That had to be the safest flaming table bump of all time. I'm glad Kane's not burnt to a crisp but it was kind of a weak visual. Odd way to end the show with Kane's music playing and him standing tall.

I gave up on that thing after Bryan's amazing round of questions.

Chick - Daniel, even in your darkest moments, you've had the power of the Yes movement behind you. What do you have to say to the WWE Universe?

Paige vs Tamina was okay but some reason, they refuse to take the Divas out of the semi main event spot. They always have the Divas between a big match and the main event, hell, they did it at Mania right after Taker lost. It doesn't do anything but hurt them.

That's a feature, not a bug.  They put them there for that very reason, to provide a buffer between the two biggest matches, so the crowd can calm down, get some energy back, and be ready for the main event.

When they don't put them there, you get the crowd basically falling asleep before the match even starts between Triple H and Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania last year.

People didn't "fall asleep" because there wasn't a buffer between stuff the crowd was into and HHH/Brock. HHH/Brock just flat out sucked from the start and the crowd wasn't up to pretending it didn't.

There's really little evidence that well booked, well executed wrestling needs buffer matches outside of multiple "big" HHH matches getting crapped on by crowds and WWE needing to find an excuse for it (not that I want to crap on Hunter tonight, as he held up his end in Evolution/Shield).

• Like 1

People didn't "fall asleep" because there wasn't a buffer between stuff the crowd was into and HHH/Brock. HHH/Brock just flat out sucked from the start and the crowd wasn't up to pretending it didn't.

Except the crowd was dead for the entrances before the match started at all.  Completely dead.

We can question how well the execution is going, but I could accept the story premise that:

a) Bray Wyatt can only defeat John Cena if he gets into his head

b ) Bray Wyatt can get into John Cena's head in a way that no one else has before

c) The feud ends when Wyatt learns how to beat Cena without mind games or Cena learns to become immune

I could see a realistic ending to the feud being Cena getting Luke Harper to turn on Bray, a Harper-Wyatt singles feud, and the winner getting a strong singles push out of it.  The problem with CM Punk's Straight Edge Society was that there was no one who could break away from it.  A stable like the Wyatts is the sort of group dynamic that the conventions of the wrestling genre scream out to have a guy turn face by trying to become his own man.  I think we can all agree that if they do that, then Harper is more worthy than Rowan.

Except the crowd was dead for the entrances before the match started at all.  Completely dead.

And the other HHH/Brock matches, even if they had "better" entrance pops, resulted in HHH getting "You tapped out!" and "Retire!" chants, mixed with awkwardly placed silence, when they were booked to shamelessly put him over as a sympathetic megaface legend. Was that reaction all because of a lack of a buffer match too? Maybe we can blame how that program indisputably damaged Brock as a special attraction draw by the time it was done on how they didn't throw the women to the wolves a couple times more?

In front of the typical wrestling crowd, even over the last five years as we've devolved into what WWE crowds are today, a well-executed and laid out match may start out cold, but should ultimately get them back into things somehow. Hell, we saw that a couple weeks ago on Raw, when Barrett/Ziggler got them back or, more relevant to the HHH/Brock situation, how Punk/Jericho worked a match specifically designed to get the crowd back at WM 28, where they started out iced and were really hot by the end.

Haven't read through the thread. Haven't even finished the show yet.

Just popped in to mention that when Big E does that missed shoulder block spot that everyone uses, he's actually too short to reach the post.

• Like 1

I'm fine with buffer matches.  Regardless of how accurate the crowd needing to cool off before potentially warming up to another big match is, they also provide time to get a snack, use the john, or whatever in between matches that are more potentially interesting.  The divas match has almost always been the buffer match, at least to the best of my recollection, in recent years.  It's more or less at a point where the audience realizes this and that just contributes to the apathy towards said division.  If they're serious about rebuilding the divas as having actual competitive matches and being taken more seriously they should move the match to somewhere else on the card.  Put some other midcard match that isn't really important but isn't likely to be a total heat suck either in the same spot.

Shield/Evolution was awesome.. definitely lived up to the hype and delivered all around. Loved Evolution's entrance, just a badass looking stable. Wish they were sticking around for good together for awhile. Great finishing stretch.

Glad to see Bad News win the IC title again. Also glad to see Paige/Tamina ended up being pretty good. First time I was looking forward to a divas PPV match again in a few years at least. Really liking Paige's reign so far. Thought Cena/Wyatt was entertaining enough as a match, didn't care for the silly finish. Enjoyed Bryan vs The Demon, fun main event with some good all around brawling. Cool finish using something rare like the flaming table. Loved Cole immediately screaming "The Demon is burning in Hell!!"  Post show press conference was a nice touch.

What WWE uses as buffer matches are so rarely long enough for the live crowd to get up, hit the concessions, use the restroom, etc though. Paige/Tamina tonight might as well have gone broadway by their standards.

If they think they have to have a break, they should go more of a popcorn way, where a match gets a decent amount of time and those involved have a chance to do something with it and if people still choose to leave, sit on their hands, or whatever, so be it. It wouldn't come across as an entire waste of time and them basically purposely throwing whoever is involved to the trash.

Watched the two matches I had an interest in. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Triple H/Randy Orton/Batista was a great match, one of the best this year. Liked Daniel Bryan vs. Kane, didn't expect to ever see a flaming table spot in the company again. Wyatt vs. Cena sounds a right divisive match.

Even though I liked the cage match- Cena did come off as an idiot in the match for trying to escape, but I bought that is Cena being stupid due to Wyatt in his head- so I bought it as pro wrestling.  This is especially true as Cena is a Bill Watts babyface in the mold of Sting, and well, Sting is the poster child for main-event babyface stupidity.  (And sting to me was the next step from Bill Watts)

I don't find little kids singing songs as creepy as some people do. I think its one of the corniest horror tropes of all time. I find it completely lame. The commentators reaction to the ending of the cage match was even worse. It's one thing if a few people are  'shocked', but not all 10 commentators (3 American, 3 Spanish, 4 on the panel). There should have been someone hyping up the moment and really selling it as a brilliant move by Wyatt, but instead there were 10 guys with their mouths open wide - mirroring the words and sentiments of each other all while keeping within the vocal range of The Owen Voice.

The Divas match was good. Both of those ladies came to work tonight. It's refreshing too see. Also, I am not sure why people are harping on the 'Anti-Diva' stuff as Paige hasn't used that moniker while in WWE proper. Sure on NXT that was the gimmick-but not know. She nor any of the Raw or Smackdown commentators have ever used that nickname for her. I also don't mind the MsChif lite gimmick.

I think in the back, pre-Show, Vince or Hunter, probably Vince, gave a speech about what "Extreme" really means and stated that whoever took the craziest bump was getting a 10k bonus.  They really went for it tonight.

I hope Drew won, his was ridiculously unnecessary!

• Like 1