DVDVR Message Board

Fuck steam.

I bought San Andreas today and apparently the game has been broken for everyone for about 2 days. Great.

Loaded up Hotline Miami (that I played yesterday). No sound. Weird. Restart steam, still no sound. Checked the forums and apparently a beta rolled out yesterday or something that fixed a lot of bugs and somehow fucked my game up. There's a PC fix but no Mac fix. 

Fuck steam.

I have gone back to play the playstation Final Fantasy games again.

Started with VII. Really nothing of note with this game. It never had much replay value in my opinion. I liked it on first play through but not enough to relate to the people that have been playing for 15 straight years like some of the people on gamefaqs.

On VIII now. VIII had great replay value once you had a firm grasp of the game mechanics. Such as getting magic by playing cards and using the card ability from one of the summons rather than in battle. The card mini game is one probably the best mini game in the series. Battle speed can be cranked to a really high speed and no encounters can be gotten really early into disc 1 so random encounters are easily taken out of the game. The story isn't exceptional by any means but it does imply a time loop so even that contributes to replay value. Really only X-2 has as much replay value as this game for the FF games; well if using new game plus that is. Only complaint would be Squall being far too powerful. Not challenging enough. X-2 you could max battle speed and it would present some legitimate challenges.

Going to start IX next. I remember this one having good music and some of the worst gameplay in the series. It was the speed of the gameplay that was the issue. Even if you cranked battle speed to max in settings it was slow. 

Finally got a 3DS so I'm wrapping up Super Mario 3D Land. Great game, like Galaxy with more conventional level layouts, but it really is far too easy. I've cakewalked to 280 or so starcoins in about two weeks. Once that's cleared, I already have Luigi's Mansion on deck. I played it for a little while and dig it.

Been working far too much to do much with Ye Olde PS3, but I'm sure I'll fall for^H^H^H^H pick up Madden when it drops and of course I'm ticking off the seconds until Beyond: Two Souls.

Last of Us. All the awards.This game gives me the feels. I near cried at least 4 times. I don't want it to end. I'm up to the part where I have to play Ellie because Joel is too f'd from the Firefly lab and those jerks are pissed because I had to hack them all up with a hatchet after they shot first. Can't claim self-defense if you shoot first, dickwads.

THANKS FOR THE SPOILERS!!!!

Is Borderlands 2 worth getting if you have absolutely no intention of playing it co-op?

I think so, especially if you liked 1. It has a much more engaging plot than 1. 

Anyway I tried to play Deus ex 3 but my computer wasn't having it. Then I thought I'd load up Last Remannt for shits and giggles but apparently you need a controller for that. So now I've put L.A. Noire on the PC. My steam backlog is failing me, basically.

Is Borderlands 2 worth getting if you have absolutely no intention of playing it co-op?

Yes. It's basically FPS Diablo with some sharp, if uneven, writing. It improves on the first game in pretty much every way. I'd also recommend giving the MP a try. I hate multiplayer generally, but there's something about BL that just works for me.

So a couple weeks back on the Humble Bundle weekly sale some game called Rochard came up. Didn't know anything about it but got gifted it by a friend. Just getting around to it now and... man, it's pretty good.

Somewhere between The Lost Vikings and the human cutscenes from the original Starcraft lies Rochard. It's a side scrolling sci-fi puzzle game with a pretty good sense of humor (and sections where gravity inverts on you just to really mess with you) I've only got about an hour into it but so far the game is a riot. You play as this redneck space miner who runs around with a gravity lift gun moving boxes/flipping switches/shooting fools trying to work your way from one room to the next.

It's like the original Prince of Persia in space (complete with an old school running timer saying how long it takes you to get through the game! God, I miss when games actually kept score, it actually feels like a bonus feature in 2013). Definitely going to have to play through this one until the end because if the first couple levels are any indication it's a good one.

Agreed on the Wall of Heroes, etc.  Generally there isn't anything b.s. in this game when it comes to the missions, when you lose a soldier like you say, YOU effed things up somehow.  Usually it's easy to see once it happens how a different decision would have saved your dude and the team / mission.

Snipers are awesome.  Squad Sight is essential, as is either Double Tap or In the Zone.  A Support guy with Ghost Armor (send him as far as possible forward while cloaked) and two snipers on high ground in the rear is a scary combination.

So basically what you're saying is that, if I have two "turns" to move each of my characters that I should really only use one move, place them wherever, and then set them on "Overwatch?"

Because that sort of makes sense, now that I think about it.

So basically what you're saying is that, if I have two "turns" to move each of my characters that I should really only use one move, place them wherever, and then set them on "Overwatch?"

Because that sort of makes sense, now that I think about it.

More or less, yeah. On the first turn I usually have at least 4/6 guys on Overwatch, assuming the other 2 have moved up quickly both for better cover & as spotters.

For those uk dvdvr-ers who use lovefilm to rent games - you have until august 8th to get your rentals out and in your mitts, because from august 8th - they will no longer be offering games as rentals.

however, they may be doing a sale on pre-owned games very soon, so every cloud, eh?

Apparently xbox live gold members are getting free games to download on the 1st and 16th of every month now. Got assassin's creed 2 for free. I'm guessing they're stealing this idea from ps+?

Pretty much except you get to keep the game permanently after your Gold subscription lapse. Of course, I wonder when Microsoft pulls the pull on 360 Xbox Live will you be able to  actually access the game....

Skyrim.  It's the only game I may need in the next year and that's before I get any of the DLC (I used store credit at my comic book shop to get the original version for free).  So much to do, so many towns to visit, so many enemies to kill and loot.