DVDVR Message Board

MAY PHOTO THREAD

Styles is IWGP Heavyweight Champion??!!??

I mean congrats dude, and hell he did go out of TNA looking like several million bucks - but wow.

Yep.  Quite a few people were quick to declare it as the end of New Japan's great run.

how soon before they forgive Drew McIntyre and push him again? He was the second coming for the longest time then got dropped like a bad habit

I wish they would try something new with him.  He seems to be trying really hard with 3MB and it's gotten him nowhere.  His original character was boring as shit though, he would need something else but I think he's got some talent in him.

How the FUCK did I miss AJ STYLES BECOMING IWGP CHAMPION?! Haven't they learned anything after Bob Sapp, Brock Lesnar, Scott Norton, freakin' Salmon Hashimikov (the lesser of the Russians in NJ)? That title needs to stay on someone Japanese. Then again, there has been some mistakes with that as well I guess

AJ fuckin Styles. Who would have thought.

EDIT: Wait, they did hit a home run with Vader. I don't think that cancels out the others though.

Drew McIntyre never was, and never will be, WWE World Heavyweight Champion material.

He came in with a gimmick that is pretty much a kiss of death to begin with as "The Chosen One". Has that ever worked? Jeff Jarrett got to keep at it by WCW's sheer bloody mindedness, but any time someone is pushed from the get-go as a "blue chipper" of that sort, they either fail (Benjamin, McIntyre) or have a hell of an uphill battle (Rocky Maivia becoming the Rock.)

His theme music was a great song that was a terrible choice for entrance music. It was so slow and drawn out that you could take a piss break when it started and get back before the match. Okay, I exaggerate, but McIntyre wasn't exactly the Undertaker or Hollywood Rock. He didn't have enough for people to care about for them to put up with his saunter to the ring.

And he never brought anything to the table that made him stand out other than his accent and a finisher that made him look like he was about to be penetrated missionary style.

The fact that some people think he still has potential to be a main eventer boggles me. There are people in TNA more likely to become WWE champion.

I admit I haven't seen any of Norton's title offenses. I really don't like no-selling. You could accuse many IWGP champs of that however, and he still rules for killing the Cat.

I don't know if there's anything worse or more unrealistic in wresting than people acting like every fucking blow is a death sentence. Do you people watch no competitive athletics whatsoever?

How the FUCK did I miss AJ STYLES BECOMING IWGP CHAMPION?! Haven't they learned anything after Bob Sapp, Brock Lesnar, Scott Norton, freakin' Salmon Hashimikov (the lesser of the Russians in NJ)? That title needs to stay on someone Japanese. Then again, there has been some mistakes with that as well I guess

He's someone who can lose to Goto or Shibata, to build up against Okada at a big show.

We're talking about Scott Norton here. Every match I watched him wrestle in WCW he never reacted to ANYTHING. That is egregious; you have to strike a balance at the very least.

Norton being thicker than most walls made it okay for him to not sell.

13078096.jpg

Intercontinental+Champion+Drew+McIntyre+

Absolute main event material. His 2010 push was awesome and he looked like a surefire future world champ. Loved when he was feuding with Teddy Long, Matt Hardy, and Kofi all at the same time. Excellent matches with Matt and Kofi, and later Christian as well. Got great heel heat at the time too. The Drew vs Teddy segment ending with Drew standing tall over Teddy, Matt, and Kofi had him looking like a total top heel in the making, good stuff. A real shame he's been given up on.

• Like 3