DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Whippleman is bottom of the barrel for me. I'd rather just learn how to read and take care of my own contracts if that's my option. He had some hosses and couldn't do jack shit with any of 'em. 

His fine medical skills meant he could teach Sid to kick out of the legdrop at Wrestlemania. He also lead Bertha Faye to the Women's Title. Underrated guy.

• Like 1

Saw the Alicia Fox segments from Raw and Main Event. They were great, but I'm hoping this doesnt end up like R-Truth a couple years ago where he was was bringing the goods every week and then it just stopped. It seems as though she's coming up with a lot of it on her own like Truth did, but wasn't Truth's deal is that he got a little too over with his segments?

In kayfabe Ted DiBiase was a pretty wretched manager.  Was obsessed with The Undertaker's urn and led multiple clients to the slaughter (IRS, Kama, Bundy, Fakertaker).  Wasted time humiliating Nikolai Volkoff of all people for no real reason.  None of his clients ever won a title, failed in bids for the IC, Tag and World titles.  Couldn't manage Bigelow to a win against a crackhead retired football player.  His highlights were turning Tatanka and 1-2-3 Kid heel, both of whom proceeded to lose the feud with the guy they turned on, slide down the card, and be out of the company within a year.  Brought Austin in as The Ringmaster.....who loses a match to Savio Vega with a stip that DiBiase has to leave the company.  Austin almost immediately goes on a hot streak sans DiBiase.

• Like 2

The problem with DiBiase was that he was loaded so making money through managing wasn't a top priority for him - and his clients suffered. He's like the WCW of managers. Bring in guys, don't worry about making money off it, or booking them correctly.

• Like 2

The problem with DiBiase was that he was loaded so making money through managing wasn't a top priority for him - and his clients suffered. He's like the WCW of managers. Bring in guys, don't worry about making money off it, or booking them correctly.

And in WCW he got even worse, offering to help cover finances for the nWo so he could make it a bored vanity project for himself. When his billions were no longer needed he immediately failed to keep the Steiner Brothers together.

DiBiase and the nWo may be one of the biggest manager fails. It's like he funded a small business making animated shorts, and then gave up all his stock before they became Disney.

• Like 2

Did we ever learn Dibiase's main source of income?

Where exactly did all of this "money" he was throwing around come from?

Why was IRS going after the little people when the big dog was right next to him?

Lots of questions, so few answers.  

Edit: Wow, someone made an IRS joke about 10 seconds before I did.

Edited by JohnnyJ

Wasn't IRS insane though?  Like he was an IRS agent to the same degree that The Mountie was a Mountie...that is to say there was a70-97% chance he was just a psychopath who believes himself to be a Mountie and has access to a costume rental store.

That's why Mountie had no chance against Boss Man.  Because one was really a law enforcement agent and the other was just a crazy guy...also why Nailz was such a profound threat, since he was actually a prisoner Bossman had actually abused in an actual Georgia prison.

Did we ever learn Dibiase's main source of income?

Where exactly did all of this "money" he was throwing around come from?

Why was IRS going after the little people when the big dog was right next to him?

Lots of questions, so few answers.  

Edit: Wow, someone made an IRS joke about 10 seconds before I did.

If I recall correctly, DiBiase "inherited" all of his money. I can't remember if it was ever brought up on tv but I'm fairly certain the Apter mags wrote a story on how he had rich relatives who left him everything hence why he jumped from UWF to WWF.

It was never explicitly stated on WCW tv but it was always implied that the nWo through DiBiase were the ones who gave DDP money after he lost all of Kimberly's bingo winnings back to her and Johnny B. Badd. If that was the case, that's another boneheaded move by DiBiase b/c Page fought the nWo at every turn.

• Like 1

The theory that gimmicked wrestling villains are just insane people is pretty great.

How great would it be if Rusev's gimmick was of someone who wanted to play a 80s style Russian wrestling gimmick and everyone was too afraid of him to tell him to stop.

• Like 3