DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

There are some gimmicks that work without crazy guy logic.  Like, when a manager "discovers" some guy who is huge and terrifying and uses their former job as a way to sell them:

"Look at this fucking guy!  He was working as a Lumberjack when I found him..but will you look at this fucking guy?"

"Who is he?"

"Fuck I don't know "The Lumberjack?"  What difference dies it make.  LOOK AT THIS MONSTER!!!!"

Hillbilly Jim, guys like that.  Bossman fall into that I guess.  "Yeah...he was goddamn prison guard.  I saw him and I was like, I can make this guy a star...keep the uniform, kid!"

On the flip side crazy guy logic is already assumed I think for a lot of babyfaces back in the day like Randy Savage.  Is there any other way to understand him other than as a madman?  He's incoherent.  He's not even talking to anyone when he talks to them.  He's just screaming directly back into his own head.  His promos are just talking to himself out loud.  He's just a ball of male id that has somehow killed every last stich of superego. 

Warrior...clearly not an interdimensional time-traveling God-vessel but just a really maladjusted man.

Warrior is Conan The Barbarian on LSD.

It's funny because as a big DDP fan, when the NWO angle started, I was really excited for him to join the NWO because of his past relationship with Hall and Nash. I figured that would be the thing to make him into a big star. They did just the opposite. 

So, if he HAD joined the NWO in '97, do things work out worse or better for Page? I don't think anyone thought he'd get as over as a babyface as he did. 

Also, loving this thread over the last few days. Another all-time poor managerial decision was Fonzie betting money on Sabu to beat Taz. I mean, if you're gonna bet against your guy and screw him, at least pull a Jimmy Hart and try to okie-doke him during the match. Fonzie placed a straight bet, lost, and then said "fuck it, let me hook up with this loser."

On the bright side, Sabu wins the belt next month, giving Fonzie a bit of a payoff but Taz ends up with a much longer title run. Also, Fonzie decided that a better career choice was not to manage the athletic shooter but instead to join up with a certifiable foreign madman and his stoner buddy. Poor choices.

Yeah but RVD was TV champ for over a year and won the tag belts with Sabu, He might have gone a little further with Taz, but he made out pretty good. 

Shane Douglas lost three belts in two years issuing open challenges. At some point he needed to shut up. 

I asked him about this in person and he laughed for a long time. 

• Like 4

Is it weird that I want KENTA and Devitt to tag as a Japanese team that insists they're brothers? Devitt stays completely British, they just get really confused and frustrated when people point it out.

He's Irish, isn't he?

Blergh, you're right. Brain is slow today.

That might be even make it better. Irish brothers. 

And NBC has announced that WWE will continue with USA/SyFy. No details on money or Smackdown moving as of yet.

http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20140515006611/en/#.U3Vjc5XQcdV

Their public spin is that, including key market overseas deals, they're looking at $200M/year now, up from the $160M in the last year of their previous deals and up $90M from the first years of the previously negotiated deals.

The stock, meanwhile, is taking a decent hit in after-hours movement given how it's not really close to what WWE had been pushing.

What's the most definitive example of a babyface thoroughly losing an extensive feud to the heel?

Ryder/Kane is the first that comes to mind, but sure there are better?

Gotta be Mick vs. Triple H. Or Mick vs. anyone really.

What's the most definitive example of a babyface thoroughly losing an extensive feud to the heel?

Shane Douglas vs the Pitbulls

And NBC has announced that WWE will continue with USA/SyFy. No details on money or Smackdown moving as of yet.

http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20140515006611/en/#.U3Vjc5XQcdV

Their public spin is that, including key market overseas deals, they're looking at $200M/year now, up from the $160M in the last year of their previous deals and up $90M from the first years of the previously negotiated deals.

The stock, meanwhile, is taking a decent hit in after-hours movement given how it's not really close to what WWE had been pushing.

Network miss anticipated numbers? Check. TV deal not even close to what they were pushing for months? Check. Stock plummets over 50% in a matter of weeks? Check.

Man, I should really do this "stock" stuff for a living.

Jericho vs. Shawn in 2008 ended 2-1 in favor of Jericho with him winning the blow off ladder match.

It was never explicitly stated on WCW tv but it was always implied that the nWo through DiBiase were the ones who gave DDP money after he lost all of Kimberly's bingo winnings back to her and Johnny B. Badd. If that was the case, that's another boneheaded move by DiBiase b/c Page fought the nWo at every turn.

this idea had never crossed into my mind while watching it in '97. the "mysterious benefactor" was just dropped and never mentioned again.

come early '97, on a Saturday Night, Dusty Rhodes speculates that it was DiBiase that bankrolled him with future hopes of an nWo initiation. DDP then turns them down because he wasn't on the "ground floor".

as far as i'm concerned, it makes perfect sense, so that's what happened.

as far as terrible managers, how does Teddy Long stack up? sure, he had Doom in 1990, but by the Nitro era, he pretty much never left Worldwide. that can't be good for your pocketbook.

The answer to your questions is yes.

Except maybe the one about Taz.

And the one about me tripping. 

Apparently Seiya Sanada is on a learning excursion with TNA too and it makes me seriously question that. Shit, usually they send people to Mexico at least.

EDIT: Nevermind. I have gone from watching Night of the Hunter and Dead Calm on TV, to watching TNA on TV. I might as well be smoking DMT right now (though that might be fun, transcendental, amazing... all the things TNA isn't)

Shane Douglas vs the Pitbulls

Who?

• Like 2

Ryder/Kane is actually a really good answer. I don't know if Ryder got heat on Kane at any point, and it's not like Kane is notoriously protected. There was the flat tire incident, and he kept getting more and more injured, and Kane just kept beating him up more and more.

HHH vs. Eugene came to mind. I'm not sure Eugene did much except run intereference during HHH's iron man with Benoit, while HHH gave him and Regal multiple bloody beatdowns, beat him clean in the Summer Slam match, and broke his arm a short while later to take him off tv.

Hogan vs. Savage in WCW was pretty bad too. Savage took NWO beatings/spray-paintings almost every week (including them spraying his bald spot one time) and never really got much back on Hogan. He would always do those things where he'd take forever to back Hogan down, but not actually hit him like an idiot, until the rest of the NWO caught up to him. Hogan also tricked Liz into joining the NWO somehow and won the blowoff match at Halloween Havoc with shenanigans. Savage disappeared for a couple months and returned, only to join the NWO and play second fiddle to Hogan for the remainder of its existence.

Not sure if we have a Chikara thread anymore but they are coming back to NC-Gibsonville to be exact on 10/25/2014 and making their first trip into VA-Richmond on 10/26/2014

I say we have a VA-DVDVR meet up for the Richmond show!!