DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

What was the storyline of Dibiase leaving the nWo when he was originally brought in as the 'money' behind them?

Had to do with Spring Stampede 97. Nash was fighting Rick Steiner in a one on one match during one of Hall's injuries/rehab/drunk/whatever. Steiner had an injured ear and Nash kept going after it, dropping him ear first on an exposed turnbuckle. Both DiBiase and Nick Patrick thought that Nash was being too brutal so they both defected from the nWo. At least that's how I remember it anyway.

The story should have been that DiBiase conned Watts out of his money and thats why Mid South had to sell off l to Crockett.

I bet that's one time in the 80's that Vince would acknowledge that the competition did exist. One of his talents got the better of the owner of his former promotion in a business deal and drove him bankrupt.

The theory that gimmicked wrestling villains are just insane people is pretty great.

How great would it be if Rusev's gimmick was of someone who wanted to play a 80s style Russian wrestling gimmick and everyone was too afraid of him to tell him to stop.

Isn't that what Jim Cornette did with the Boogeyman? The WWE wanted to make the Boogeyman an old school, cartoony, outlandish villain, while Cornette played it off like Boogeyman was 'just a guy' who believed he actually was the Boogeyman character, so he was supposedly a real psycho and everyone was scared of him. Not because he was a cartoony character, but because he was so psychotic he actually thought himself to be said cartoony character.

What was the storyline of Dibiase leaving the nWo when he was originally brought in as the 'money' behind them?

Had to do with Spring Stampede 97. Nash was fighting Rick Steiner in a one on one match during one of Hall's injuries/rehab/drunk/whatever. Steiner had an injured ear and Nash kept going after it, dropping him ear first on an exposed turnbuckle. Both DiBiase and Nick Patrick thought that Nash was being too brutal so they both defected from the nWo. At least that's how I remember it anyway.

That was pretty much it. Dibiase had his "come to Jesus" moment there, then came back a couple months later as The Steiners' master plan to finally get the tag titles. They were unsuccessful and floundered until Scott turned and joined the NWO.

The theory that gimmicked wrestling villains are just insane people is pretty great.

How great would it be if Rusev's gimmick was of someone who wanted to play a 80s style Russian wrestling gimmick and everyone was too afraid of him to tell him to stop.

Isn't that what Jim Cornette did with the Boogeyman? The WWE wanted to make the Boogeyman an old school, cartoony, outlandish villain, while Cornette played it off like Boogeyman was 'just a guy' who believed he actually was the Boogeyman character, so he was supposedly a real psycho and everyone was scared of him. Not because he was a cartoony character, but because he was so psychotic he actually thought himself to be said cartoony character.

All except Santino, who, ironically, actually lived that gimmick of wanting to play an 80s style Russian wrestling gimmick.

That was pretty much Undertaker's gimmick in 1999.  People were even calling him "Mark" trying to snap him out of it.

There are some gimmicks that work without crazy guy logic.  Like, when a manager "discovers" some guy who is huge and terrifying and uses their former job as a way to sell them:

"Look at this fucking guy!  He was working as a Lumberjack when I found him..but will you look at this fucking guy?"

"Who is he?"

"Fuck I don't know "The Lumberjack?"  What difference dies it make.  LOOK AT THIS MONSTER!!!!"

Hillbilly Jim, guys like that.  Bossman fall into that I guess.  "Yeah...he was goddamn prison guard.  I saw him and I was like, I can make this guy a star...keep the uniform, kid!"

On the flip side crazy guy logic is already assumed I think for a lot of babyfaces back in the day like Randy Savage.  Is there any other way to understand him other than as a madman?  He's incoherent.  He's not even talking to anyone when he talks to them.  He's just screaming directly back into his own head.  His promos are just talking to himself out loud.  He's just a ball of male id that has somehow killed every last stich of superego. 

Warrior...clearly not an interdimensional time-traveling God-vessel but just a really maladjusted man.

• Like 2

There are some gimmicks that work without crazy guy logic.  Like, when a manager "discovers" some guy who is huge and terrifying and uses their former job as a way to sell them:

"Look at this fucking guy!  He was working as a Lumberjack when I found him..but will you look at this fucking guy?"

"Who is he?"

"Fuck I don't know "The Lumberjack?"  What difference dies it make.  LOOK AT THIS MONSTER!!!!"

Hillbilly Jim, guys like that.  Bossman fall into that I guess.  "Yeah...he was goddamn prison guard.  I saw him and I was like, I can make this guy a star...keep the uniform, kid!"

On the flip side crazy guy logic is already assumed I think for a lot of babyfaces back in the day like Randy Savage.  Is there any other way to understand him other than as a madman?  He's incoherent.  He's not even talking to anyone when he talks to them.  He's just screaming directly back into his own head.  His promos are just talking to himself out loud.  He's just a ball of male id that has somehow killed every last stich of superego. 

Warrior...clearly not an interdimensional time-traveling God-vessel but just a really maladjusted man.

Sycho Sid had no history of mental illness.

I love how many guys were just Batman villains in the making. 

"The country music scene turned their back on me? When I learn how to kill people on the mat, they'll all be sorry..."

• Like 3

How are we supposed to understand the Road Warriors?  They're just funny dumb jock guys who think it's cool to dress up, right?  Like, we and they are both supposed to think it's cool that they're behaving ridiculously and no one involved is a danger to themselves or others.

Wasn't the backstory for the Roadies was that they were in one of Chicagos toughest gangs and decided to wrestle because the streets weren't a chalenge for them anymore?

James

It was never explicitly stated on WCW tv but it was always implied that the nWo through DiBiase were the ones who gave DDP money after he lost all of Kimberly's bingo winnings back to her and Johnny B. Badd. If that was the case, that's another boneheaded move by DiBiase b/c Page fought the nWo at every turn.

Ah, but it was at least a fairly well-considered gambit attempt. They reasonably thought that DDP would easily be lured into the nWo based on the fact that he had been nothing but obsessed with money and women up to that point AND he had lost both of those things recently. They got to him at his lowest point in order to get him to turn to them.

What they underestimated was how hurt DDP would be that Scott Hall wouldn't let him in on the ground floor on this nWo thing after their previous affiliation and friendship. 

Well the Mountie did admit to not being a Mountie when the RCMP tried to sue the WWE.

Proof:

Jacques Rougeau was awesome. Not only did he provide some quality vocals for three of his own entrance themes, he also knocked out Dynamite Kid and beat Hulk Hogan.

• Like 1

What's the most definitive example of a babyface thoroughly losing an extensive feud to the heel?

Ryder/Kane is the first that comes to mind, but sure there are better?

Dusty Rhodes vs. Ted DiBiase.

DiBiase buys Sapphire, Rhodes gets squashed by Savage minutes later, DiBiase destroys Dustin Rhodes in the audience at a SNME show, Dustin lasts ten minutes with Ted, but Ted kicks his ass anyway, Dusty then loses every house show match against Ted (including matches against Virgil), he jobs clean against Dibiase's team to Taker at Survivor Series, and then jobs clean to DiBiase at Rumble 91. Dusty then leaves the WWF.

At least Matt Hardy killed Edge in that one cage match.