DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

The first Vader match at SuperBrawl V is god damn great as well.

It's too bad the mixed reaction spooked Hogan and the rematches were squashes. 

He had good matches with Kamala an Tenta. I guess he trusted both of those guys.

Not to mention the whole powerbomb fiasco.  I remember being hyped as hell for Hogan vs Vader, and the Superbrawl match WAS really damn good.  Beyond that point, it really was like pulling teeth to get him to sell for anyone.  Hell, he barely sold for Flair after that first run in 94.

Woke up to watch SummerSlam 2013 (1am till 4am in the morning!) and it was worth it. I hardly ever buy DVD's but had to for SummerSlam 2013. I always thought Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena was the Match of my Night, my Match of the Year and a five star match. I still feel that way having watched it again. Awesome match.

He has a hell of an "I hate you all" heel promo in him if he ever DOES come back.

Wow, I really didn't care if CM Punk ever came back or not before this second.  But Punk coming back to say, "I left you!  Stop following me!" would be a beautiful moment.

Are we in the era where the "cool heel" or "shades of grey" can finally draw money? Or at least be something rad? I used to hate cool heels, and I guess I still do on principle. But the Shield were cool heels until recently, and right now the Wyatt Family, Bad News Barrett, and Cesaro are all heels that have a good 25% of the audience on their side. And I love all those guys. So does this stuff work now because the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Heath Ledger's protrayal of the Joker have made us a society that loves heels?

Or has it always really been this way? Certainly when Randy Savage and Roddy Piper were at their hottest, they even had a few supporters.

Am I just rambling like a madman not making any real sense? Yep. But I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

I think WWE should just accept they can't make compelling babyfaces and have heels who draw face reactions like the Shield and Barrett get booked as faces but keep their act the same.  Book Cena as a heel but keep his act the same as well.

I think the fans would get used to it quick.

As I've already made clear, he's boning a robot created by an ancient druid (you remember that was Vince right?) and programmed to bring him back into the fold.

Also all those Rey masks and sheep masks they keep selling are going to turn everyone's face into bugs:

Okay, so Vince is Conal Cochran, Punk is Dr. Challis, AJ is Ellie. What about Bryan and Cena? Are they Punk's fellow humans who were already seduced by the robots, or robots who think they're human, or something else? And most importantly, who in WWE represents the gas station attendant?

Luke Harper

At least you didn't just expend fifteen minutes of your life force trying to think of a funny answer for who in the WWE is the attendant at the gas station down by the Silver Shamrock factory.

BECAUSE I DID.

Are you talking about the Michael Myers movie that has no Michael Myers?

Yes he was.

I used to work a ridiculous (as in the guy would pay 6 figures to put it on) Halloween Party for the owner of the Natural Balance dog food. The name of the makeup company that did us up was Silver Shamrock. Had the commercial jingle stuck in my head the ENTIRE TIME.

So is the overall opinion these days still the same that 3 hours is too much for Raw?  I hate the 3 hour aspect but on the other hand, I think we get some better longer matches than we would otherwise. However, by the time we get to those matches, I'm usually clocked out and done.

So is the overall opinion these days still the same that 3 hours is too much for Raw?  I hate the 3 hour aspect but on the other hand, I think we get some better longer matches than we would otherwise. However, by the time we get to those matches, I'm usually clocked out and done.

I like it in the sense you're going to get a couple of long tags or trios matches with guys who can work them really well but it means that shit like the neverending Santino and Fandango nonsense finds its way onto the main show where it should be SD/Main Event fodder. The fun roster makes it a lot better than it was when it first went to 3 hours but there's still stuff I skip right through. When Smackdown is good (as on Friday), I prefer it though; 90 minutes is just right.

Seriously, why the fuck do any of you even care? DVDVR is not the People Magazine of message boards. We are here to discuss good wrestling, good movies, good MMA, good comics, good books, good music. Yeah some gossip bullshit comes into it but damn. I know Waiter is never going to stop but please, that might be part of the fun of it but there are better things in life son. Like watching matches in the WOTD threads, for example

You forgot good punches. Shame on you.

• Like 2

The increase to three hours has changed the way I watch Raw. I still turn it on at 9 like I always did cept now I start from an hour behind. My goal is to finish my watching by the time Raw actually ends.  So there are a handful of guys (Santino, Swagger, Rybaxel, Big E etc.) that I fast forward through every single week due to time constraints.

• Like 1

The increase to three hours has changed the way I watch Raw. I still turn it on at 9 like I always did cept now I start from an hour behind. My goal is to finish my watching by the time Raw actually ends.  So there are a handful of guys (Santino, Swagger, Rybaxel, Big E etc.) that I fast forward through every single week due to time constraints.

That's pretty much what I do as well. I'll watch other stuff while RAW is being dvr'ed and then will start it around 9 or 9:30. Usually skip the almost standard 10-20 min interview/ga-ga in the beginning and skip over stuff like Santino, divas, etc.

You can actually just start watching the show at 9 really.  Anything of note will be replayed during the second and third hours anyway.

You can actually just start watching the show at 9 really.  Anything of note will be replayed during the second and third hours anyway.

That's a good point. Is there a reason there are a billion recaps still? I understand why there were so many during TMNW b/c people might have switched to Nitro but that's not an issue now.

That is a big to-do with me as well when it comes to Raw.  Sure, the work is good, but it's hard to dredge through 3 hours.  Like my man said, I'm usually just checked out mentally by then.  I don't really feel like DVR'ing either, because I frankly don't care that much.

If they went back to two hours, the first thing that would get cut is the match times. The pacing of the shows is a lot better now, most segments are worth watching. Even the talking segments don't drag like they use to.