DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

What's with people being antiSheamus? I think he works as either a heel or a face. He goes hard in the ring. Are people gonna be complaining if we get Sheamus and Cesaro pummeling each other for a couple months? I don't think so.

He is slightly underrated as a wrestler, but I think even most of the people who x4 his matches when pressed will concede that he's pretty good. Most of the hate comes from lazy booking and general staleness. Like his series with Christian earlier this year produced some really good matches, but everyone hated it by the end because it had this unmistakeable "why should we care" stench hovering around it. The Bryan and Show feuds are probably the only worthwhile angles he's been involved with in the last 3 years.

Personally, I watch just about every Sheamus match, but I do think his character could use some freshening.

I think the Anti-Sheamus-ness comes the fact that he has been damn near invincible and every "feud" he has had involved terrible promos and near ending series of matches. Fuck the guy who thought we'd want to see Sheamus vs ADR 100 times with 3 months with Sheamus seemingly winning every time.

I think the Anti-Sheamus-ness comes the fact that he has been damn near invincible and every "feud" he has had involved terrible promos and near ending series of matches. Fuck the guy who thought we'd want to see Sheamus vs ADR 100 times with 3 months with Sheamus seemingly winning every time.

It wasn't so much the matches for me as it was "i ate beans and now there is poop in your car" and weird jewish lawyer sketches.

I've hesitated to link to this video because I wasn't sure it was appropriate plus a kid jumped up in front of me at the exact wrong time, but if it means that one person will watch it and be inspired to buy a t-shirt then that is a good thing...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/coaster316/14140846285/

• Like 2

Sheamus is solid in the ring. Very occasionally, he'll do something that I really enjoy, like that match against Bray Wyatt on Main Event. I still think I enjoy his series with Goldust on ECW more than any other series he's had yet, though, which maybe says more about my taste than about how far Sheamus has come in ring.

He definitely is terrible on the mic, though. It's not just the bad writing, either. He comes off as a guy that is very put together, if that makes sense. He doesn't come across as authentic. Instead, his promos are like someone playing at pro wrestling instead of being a wrestler. I don't know if that makes sense.

I think Sheamus' problem is that he's a World Heavyweight level guy on a show with no World Heavyweight Title. It doesn't feel like they'd put the WWE Title on him as a babyface, and he doesn't really seem capable of making a blood feud work or have any obvious way to adjust his schtick. So he's just treading water. ADR has similar problems, but at least Sheamus can go heel or maybe pair up with Cousin Becky.

Although I think the title unification is broadly a good thing, having the two belts gave them a lot of flexibility and enabled guys to have 'big fight feel' matches without necessarily being the main-event. I don't think they've fully committed to a permanent 1 main belt strategy, and nor necessarily should they. Making Daniel Bryan defend the belts separately could be a workable Authority storyline.

In January of 2001, Fusient Media announced that they had purchased World Championship Wrestling and were putting Eric Bischoff in charge of running the entire company. Before that deal fell through and Vince McMahon scooped up WCW for cheap, Bischoff conducted an interview with WOW Magazine regarding his vision and goals for his new WCW...

I transcribed the entire interview for you people to read -- kinda neat as he talks Vince, Russo, ECW, and says some usual dumb shit about no one knowing guys like Jericho and Guerrero
until he made them big:

Bischoff’s Back: Interview by Bill Apter and Tim Towe - WOW Magazine [April 2001]

Related:

tumblr_n32e7ul8R11sg99p0o1_1280.png

• Like 2

In January of 2001, Fusient Media announced that they had purchased World Championship Wrestling and were putting Eric Bischoff in charge of running the entire company. Before that deal fell through and Vince McMahon scooped up WCW for cheap, Bischoff conducted an interview with WOW Magazine regarding his vision and goals for his new WCW...

I transcribed the entire interview for you people to read -- kinda neat as he talks Vince, Russo, ECW, and says some usual dumb shit about no one knowing guys like Jericho and Guerrero until he made them big:

Bischoff’s Back: Interview by Bill Apter and Tim Towe - WOW Magazine [April 2001]

Related:

tumblr_n32e7ul8R11sg99p0o1_1280.png

A BIG thank you for that transcription. It's kind of weird, but that was one of my favorite time periods as a WCW viewer, just because the uncertainty of the future actually did help to lend a somewhat unpredictable feel to the show. I'm sure it was absolute hell to work for them, but the tension that came across onscreen was organic and real-- and it showed. Say what you want about post-NWO era WCW, but it never felt sterile or lifeless in the way that WWE sometimes did in the mid-late 2000's.

Also, I have to share my favorite part:

With the New World Order (nWo), that concept worked because two of the key players at the beginning, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, came in and had a personal grudge against WCW because of the way they were treated when they were here previously. That was the premise of the nWo angle. They showed up, they were pissed and they were coming back to make everybody pay. That story began to grow, and it was essentially the wrestlers against the company. That story played itself out over the course of a few years, and it worked. Then the WWF did the same thing with D-Generation X; it was the wrestlers against the company. Then it was Steve Austin against Vince McMahon. How many different ways can you tell the same story and keep it interesting? I think it’s time to get away from that premise and come up with some new things where it’s about the wrestler against the wrestler.

This something that Eric Bischoff said in late 2000. 14 years ago. Let that sink in.

• Like 5

I think Sheamus' problem is that he's a World Heavyweight level guy on a show with no World Heavyweight Title. It doesn't feel like they'd put the WWE Title on him as a babyface, and he doesn't really seem capable of making a blood feud work or have any obvious way to adjust his schtick. So he's just treading water. ADR has similar problems, but at least Sheamus can go heel or maybe pair up with Cousin Becky.

Have you not seen any of the Wade Barrett vs Sheamus matches in which it they were just a ref bump away from killing each other?

Man, that issue of WOW must have went to the press literally RIGHT before the fusient deal fell through and Vince bought them.  Horrible timing for them.

I transcribed the entire interview for you people to read -- kinda neat as he talks Vince, Russo, ECW, and says some usual dumb shit about no one knowing guys like Jericho and Guerrero until he made them big:

Related:

Neat!

I love this part

Q. Critics have said WCW has started to resemble a lower-quality version of the WWF. How do you avoid that perception?

A. I think that’s being kind. I think it started to resemble backyard wrestling. I don’t think there’s any comparison to what goes on in the WWF. They got to experiment, and it didn’t work. Everybody watches wrestling for different reasons. Not every wrestling fan thinks the same about productt. But one thing you can say fairly safely is that people watch wrestling to see people wrestle, not to see guys who are actually pretty bad actors and comedians try to be funny. That’s not what we do best, and I think there has been too much time spent backstage trying to be funny and entertaining and not enough time spent trying to tell a great story that ends up in a great match in the middle of the ring. That’ll be the difference. As I told the wrestlers today, the goal is going to be to paint pictures with broader strokes and much brighter colors. Right now I would describe WCW as various shades of gray. The stories are hard to follow; the characters are all kind of the same. It just feels dark, gloomy and foggy to me. It doesn’t feel like there’s energy in it.

What makes this so bizarre, is Bischoff took a product that was, arguably, more wrestling-oriented/less bad acting and comedians in TNA, then turned it into those things he thought it shouldn't be.

Have you not seen any of the Wade Barrett vs Sheamus matches in which it they were just a ref bump away from killing each other?

He can deliver the ring work, but not the promos. I think Sheamus is great in the ring; if anything, the problem is that he's at 11 all the time.

says some usual dumb shit about no one knowing guys like Jericho and Guerrero until he made them big

He said the wrestling community knew who they were but the general audience didn't. That's dumb shit?

He says that no one knew Jericho before him. Then, backtracks the next sentence and when he lists more names.

It comes across as the usual bravado and burial of ECW Bischoff had at the time. Never mind that Heyman brought a lot of the talent into his company, it was HIM that deserves the credit for making them valuable to the WWF.

It's just Sleazy E working his obnoxious charm.

My brain hurts just thinking of all the factions since that statement.

Just think about how many factions versus authroity figure story lines there were in Eric's TNA tenure.  I listened to Eric on the Steve Austin podcast this week and though maybe WCW having so many terrible ideas weren't his fault.  There was a lot going on and all kinds of pressure   I love how now he says that he knew the ship was sinking right when Thunder was introduced.  Anyway, I'm think he isn't so bad....then I listened to Jericho's podcast with Bret.  Then it all comes back.  How big of an idiot he was.  How he blew having the biggest free agent in history and literally did not draw one dime with him.  Ahhh...what the fuck do I know.  

• Like 1

Strangely, the death of Lee Marshall just got picked up yesterday by TMZ and Slate.com. Of course, they are focusing on him being the voice of Tony the Tiger. It is weird that it is just becoming a story when he passed a week and a half ago.

Not sure where to post this...please accept my apologies and remove it if doesn't belong here.

Anyone going to the return of Chikara on May 25th in Easton, PA? I pre-paid for a ticket and can't make it, but would sell at face value or trade it for a DVD or Blu-ray. Anyone in the Philly area need a ticket?