DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

From that article:

Glazer is understood to have been in ill health for a number of years. While his death will come as a blow to the Glazer family, it’s not expected that his passing will make much of a difference to Manchester United.

Sure, rub it in...

CONCACAF Champions League draw was today and Metro end up in a group with FAS of El Salvador and the winner of the Canadian championship between Montreal and Toronto.

I know I´m very very late on the CL-final. Going to post anyway. Atletico looked like a champion for about 75 to 80 minutes, taking it to Real at every turn, almost always beating them to the ball. That was an amazing collective-defensive display. It all fell apart in 15 minutes though, with Real starting to become more and more threatening. I will never understand how, when all you are doing is holding on like crazy during the final 2 or 3 minutes, you won´t have men covering up near and front posts on corners etc and I feel so right about those doubts when a set piece helps the losing team back into the game like it did in this match.

Anyway, as it was put in words before, as soon as Real equalised, there was no doubt about the winner. Atletico only tried hanging on, but seemed way out of gas at the start of e.t. already. It was all Real basically for the last 40 of the 120 minutes and Real ultimately deserved the win at the end, although I´d say 2-1 would have been more fitting for how close the game was for the majority of it, but it´s the nature of the game a team will be able to pile up the score with a close lead that late into the game.

Ronaldo made it - once again - really hard to respect him for his abilities by celebrating himself as if he had just won the trophy by himself when he truly didn´t play the role you´d think a player of his quality should play in a CL-win of his club. Ironically there was a huge similarity to his performance in Manchester´s 2008-CL win in the All-England-Final between them and Chelsea. Anyway, it´s part of the deal of overhyping single players in a team sport and by next years CL-season, no question will be asked and every highlight package will show Ronaldo´s celebration as if it was the key moment of the game. All in all a very cool and dramatic final! And the third year in a row the final minutes of the game were intense and tremendous!

• Like 1

I have heard rumors that Ronaldo is making a movie, like Ronaldo: The Movie, and the reason for the celebration was for the movie as he went to where the cameras filming stuff for said movie were and did his celebration flexing multiple times. I am not sure what to think of that in all honesty. At first I thought it was just him scoring a goal in the CL Final in the stadium where Portugal lost to Greece nearly 10 years before in the Euro Finals. That I could understand a bit more, though not celebrating with your team mates for their much more important goals did not make sense. But this film business.. no idea on that business. Definitely puts a weird choreographed spin to his actions in the match. If the movie stuff is true, it will be interesting to see how the Final is presented in that film. 

• Like 1

If the movie stuff is true, it will be interesting to see how the Final is presented in that film. 

I think it might be a job similiar to this one:

"And then in the 120th minute, after shocking misses of Bale and Marcello (some "excellent" cuts), it was Ronaldo who stepped up to finally score the winner in the CL-final and bring Real La Decima!"

• Like 1

The theory I heard is that it is a package deal with Adam Lallana.  Bournemouth gets 25% of the Lallana price.  So Liverpool pays less than market for Lallana and above market for Lambert, so that Southampton gets to keep more of the money.

While I agree with everything everyone has said about ronaldo I can't even imagine how thunderous of a douchebag I would be in his shoes so I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

:lol: I don't think it would be much of a difference for you.

could you beat up Ronaldo though?

Yeah - I think we can all take the 36 hours or so before the new month starts to think about what we have done.

And some of you should probably hope that I don't start reading these threads on a daily basis

• Like 6