DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

Guest The Magnificent 7

We did a tournament on the old board where everyone picked their club's best ever XI, and everyone voted each round.  It's all lost to the ether now.

Hibs blowing that is funny and sad at the same time.  They were pissing themselves laughing at Hearts going down and now they'll be joining 'em.  Somewhere in a fictional universe, Begbie smashed someone's face in today. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah you're going to see some comical, shameless refereeing performances next season. 

Memo to RBNY front office: if we are going to be shit in the league can we at least take the Open Cup seriously and try to win it? Fans who don't care about the competition are frauds so fuck them, I want to win it.

Yeah you're going to see some comical, shameless refereeing performances next season. 

I have no idea why, but Gol TV randomly played at least two of Rangers third division games in late night slots a month or two ago. It doesn't seem to be a regular thing, but there they were.

Favourite moment: Cammy Bell charges out of his net and hits a forward with a flying body press to the legs in the box. Blatant full contact. Ref blows his whistle, runs over, and promptly books the forward for diving.

I laughed and thought of you in that moment.

My Arsenal XI

Seaman

Winterburn

Adams ©

Campbell

Dixon

Pires

Vieira

Fabregas

Ljungberg

Bergkamp

Henry

A big sorry to the Romford Pele who'll have to take a spot on the bench.

Mart Poom was so so close. He was just behind Alex Manninger but ahead of Vince Bartram.

• Like 1

Any joking aside, I wonder if there's a player that would get in more than one different team around here?

Someone like Shearer I imagine would go into someones Blackburn and Newcastle teams.

Here is my Real Madrid starting XI off the top of my head:

GK: Iker Casillas

DF: Manolo Sanchis
DF: Fernando Hierro
DF: Roberto Carlos
DF: Sergio Ramos

MF: Guti
MF: Zinedine Zidane
MF: Xabi Alonso

FW: Emilio Butragueño
FW: Raul
FW: Cristiano Ronaldo

And here are some I really wanted to fit in there but ultimately didn't:
Michel
Hugo Sanchez
Juanito
Fernando Morientes
Luis Figo
Gonzalo Higuain 

I went back and forth the most about El Buitre and Hugo but El Buitre was probably my first big football idol as a kid so I went with him even though Hugo probably would put more goals in. This is tough off the top of my head, I may have to revisit this later if I have time to research but off the top of my head, from the time I've been following which is roughly 1980-81 to present this is what I came up with. 

Any joking aside, I wonder if there's a player that would get in more than one different team around here?

Someone like Shearer I imagine would go into someones Blackburn and Newcastle teams.

I know texanspaniard has him in his Real team but I think most United fans would have to have Ronaldo too. He's been one of the best players for both teams in the last 20 or so years (arguably the best in Real's case), he was great at United but, if anything, got even better at Real. 

Real have had an embarrassment of riches (I mean, think of some of the names texanspaniard doesn't even have listed there) but think Xabi Alonso walks into a Liverpool and Real XI. Once nearly punched a Liverpool supporting mate in the penis when he debated Alonso, it's like, shit, there is no debate, it's Alonso and then 10 others. But not Bruno Cheyrou.

• Like 1

My Arsenal XI

Seaman

Winterburn

Adams ©

Campbell

Dixon

Pires

Vieira

Fabregas

Ljungberg

Bergkamp

Henry

A big sorry to the Romford Pele who'll have to take a spot on the bench.

Mart Poom was so so close. He was just behind Alex Manninger but ahead of Vince Bartram.

I'm almost always in the minority on this, but I favor Overmars instead of Ljungberg on the left.  Freddie was an all-time great, but Overmars just added a bit more incisiveness and directness cutting in from the flank, and I felt as though he and Bergkamp had some sort of telepathic link.  Also, this:

For right back, since I started following the Premiership in 1998, and Dixon was quickly approaching the end of his main-eventer status at Arsenal (i.e. I never really saw him at the height of his powers), I might have to opt for Lauren.

I'm almost always in the minority on this, but I favor Overmars instead of Ljungberg on the left. Freddie was an all-time great, but Overmars just added a bit more incisiveness and directness cutting in from the flank, and I felt as though he and Bergkamp had some sort of telepathic link. Also, this:

http://youtu.be/9RrK-ifLCZc

That's how I feel about Freddie, I thought Bergy just knew where he was at all times. Maybe that's just Bergkamp though. Overmars was my first love on the wing, but then came the Invincibles.

Man, how would Owen not be in the running? An absolutely stunning player at Liverpool. After he broke in, he played 7 full seasons there, and was Liverpool's top scorer for all 7. A total of 158 goals in 297 games for a young player definitely puts him among the greats.

Is it because he briefly went to Man Utd? Or does his commentating ability suddenly negate what he did on the pitch?