DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

H doesn't really lend itself to a return though, does it?

Craig Heifer

Craig Hoopty

Craig Hurtful

Craig Hermaphrodite

Craig Herpes-sufferer

We're getting awfully esoteric here. I guess Craig-Hole might work, but really none of these have the pith of Matt Dumb.

"Craig Hater the jerk store called and they're running out of you."

I wonder if Swansea end up selling Wilfred Bony. He did have an outstanding year and no doubt a couple of top clubs will be sniffing around. Seems like the kind of situation where a lower to mid-table team may be best off taking the profit and running while they can.

Swansea could have made off like bandits by selling Michu after last year. At one point, rumor had it Real Madrid was interested, and they would have grossly overpaid for Michu. Instead Real Madrid overpaid Spurs for Gareth Bale. 

This year, Michu has had an injury-riddle season so they wouldn't get much back in return for him. Bony is much more attractive this offseason and made the most of Nathan Dyer's injury as well. Bony could get Swansea a good return, probably between 20-25 million pounds if I had to take a guess. It would be sad to see him go, but such is life. 

Matt's a good dude, but whoever called him Matt Dumb during March Madness made me laugh far too much.

That would be me at the risk of knowing that H could be turned into something as well. What, I don't know. Craig Hummus.

Aich = Itch?

I've got a bad case of Craig itch?

H is all screwy because the consonant sound is at the end.

Deeeee is easy. It's got a downbeat and the letter is spelled like it sounds. Matt Dumb. Matt Dick. Matt Douche.

H is just a fucked letter.

Crack itch?

Crag itch?

Is it messed up that I'm doing this while sitting in a tj maxx holding a Buddha head in my lap? It seems like something I should be doing while sitting on a curb at recess in the fifth grade.

In some ways, I would respect PSG giving the middle finger to their FFP ruling. FFP is total bullshit and just allows for the football aristocracy to remain in place. I would love if a club fights to take it down, and believe that to be a winnable (though costly) fight.

That said, I would also be pissed to see PSG splash the cash for Luiz, Hazard, and other high-priced targets while City respects their FFP ruling. I think City was planning to be relatively tame in the summer window anyway and just buy a center mid and center back, but now cannot get an extra attacking mid (like an unsettled Isco) or make a run upgrade to upgrade center forward spot from Dzeko/Negredo. I think it will be a tougher road in the Premier League next year, and City has yet to sniff a long run in the Champions League.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Plus the shitty TV deal, there's not much money in Scottish football. Celtic have done well in the last few years working down debts to the point I think they're now regularly making profit. Splashing out big money on transfers and wages is too risky, the idea is to buy young players relatively cheaply, keep them within a set wage structure then move them on for a profit if possible. Other clubs are trying to do this with their own young players and/or picking up waifs and strays who can do a job for them.

All this.

Celtic is a really well run club with minimal debt.  The current model is to buy talented players for 3 mill or less who are in their early 20's, showcase them in Europe by qualifying for the CL (also securing that CL money), get a few years out of them and sell them on to the richer leagues.  Reinvest some of that money in the next young player and on and on.  Van Dijk or Forster will be the next big sale.  Izaguirre really likes it here so sometimes you get more than two years out of these players if they get injured or their agents aren't bawbags.

It's not sexy or anything, but Rangers showed and continue to show the other path (also called the drunken sailor who spent all of their money in port and now only has genital warts to look forward to strategy) and guess which one I prefer.  Until FIFA / UEFA do something serious about financial fair play it is what it is. 

Aberdeen and St. Johnstone won trophies this year.  St. Johnstone didn't do too badly in Europe last year compared to the ridiculousness of the likes of Hibs performances in Europe in past years, for example, so hopefully they push on even more. Most SPFL supporters outwith Hearts enjoyed the season.  Some decent young talent coming through (Stevie May, Ryan Gauld, etc.).