DVDVR Message Board

May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

Congratulations to St. Johnstone FC on winning the Scottish Cup; their first major trophy in 130 years of existence!

Good game of football too, even if Utd looked nothing like they have all season. I actually watched the game in Dundee - there's going to be some scraps there tonight.

I saw 90 minutes of the FA Cup when the German Cup started and I switched the channel. Th FA Cup was a great match, incredible start for Hull, followed by a great comeback by Arsenal and some incredibly bad officiating. I switched back for the final five minutes of the game to see what looked like to be a guy putting Arsenal´s name on the trophy when Mertesacker collapsed like a horse (or rather giraffe) that got shot, followed by a tremendous missed Fabianski diving tackle and a spectacular miss by a Hull player I don´t remember.

The German final only had one thing the FA Cup match had: Really horrendous officiating. The referee managed to miss on what to me was a clear cut penalty and two Bayern players should have gotten second yellows for numerous tactical fouls in regulation. The refs worst moment was when he and his assistants first didn´t catch Hummels offside, then failed to note that Dante´s clearance of Hummel´s header was about 3 or 4 feet behind the line. Robben scored an ugly as f... goal at the beginning of the second half of extra time after a bad throw by Weidenfeller, Dortmund pushed on and was finished of in injury time by a Mueller goal. Football sucks, Bayern even more and I´m in a really foul mood right now.

• Like 1

Martino is out at Barca. I think Guardiola will be the top candidate and I think they might look at Jorge Jesus if Pep wants to stay at Bayern. Roberto Martinez could be a dark horse candidate.

Martino is out at Barca. I think Guardiola will be the top candidate and I think they might look at Jorge Jesus if Pep wants to stay at Bayern. Roberto Martinez could be a dark horse candidate.

Why not try to grab Simeone?

What a great day of soccer!

The FA Cup was a great game, what a comeback by Arsenal, so congrats to them!

Poor Dortmund got a bit screwed by bad officiating.  The Dante clearance looked like it definitely should have been a goal.  I thought Dortmund deserved to win it but Bayern seems to get all the favors.

And congrats to Atletico Madrid on winning the league championship, what a hard fought victory to draw Barca and it's been that kind of performance for them every single game this year that won them the league.  Hopefully Costa can heal up and be ready for the CL Final, and not jeopardize his WC spot either.

• Like 1

I have no interest in the Spanish league but it was nice to see Athletico win the title, especially when the fans got shafted in the last game, that's ridiculous.

Playoff final to go (even my other local team Burton are in the fourth tear playoff final, which I might actually go to at Wembley) and of course my beloved Derby are there in a week and a half.

Then the real football starts (assuming Derby lose) with the World Cup.

Gonna be a good few months of footie!

Oh no... The fence collapsed as Osasuna fans celebrated. Players are helping out.

Bn7qBtKCQAAfpLk.jpg

Edit: and they've resumed play. The rest of the matches will pause at halftime to allow the Osasuna match to catch up. I can only imagine none of the injuries were too bad if this is the case.

In the light of a tragedy like that I feel weird reporting that, but I guess I feel like the Bundesliga chronicler (is that even a word?)....

Hamburger SV edges out a 1:1 draw, fending off a tough opposition of Fuerth. Very shaky game and Hamburg are lucky to avoid relegation, not only judging by the two relegation-play-offs, but also looking at the overall season. A lot of stuff has to happen if they want to prevent another season like that next year.

Leon become back to back champions in the Liga MX by defeating Pachuca in extra time 2-0, winning 4-3 on aggregate.

River Plate win the Argentina Torneo Final after a 5-0 win over Quilmes, A proud moment for a club who not so long ago were relegated to the Nacional B for the first time in their long history. 

I'm perfectly fine with it.  Downside is Van Gaal isn't going to start until after the World Cup, but with Giggs in place, they might start making the necessaries once the window opens.