May 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

The plan would see a new tier added to the English League System in 2016-17

Premier Division

Championship

League One

League Two

League Three

League Three would start with 10 Premier League "B" teams and 10 teams from the Conference. Other B Teams would fit somewhere in the non-league pyramid I believe)

B Teams can go as high as League One (but must be in a division lower then their parent club). B Teams are not eligible for cup competitions, Out of the 25 player squads for the B-Teams, 19 must be Under-21, and 20 must qualify under the home-grown rule)

It would also limit EPL teams to 2 Non-EU foreign players (and out side the EPL, non-EU Foreign Players could not be signed). The amount of players in the 25 man squad required to be home grown would go from 8 to 13 in a phased-in fashion (so half the team would have to be home-grown by 2021)

Man.  One of the things I like about EPL/FA is that it's all one giant connected system from top to bottom.  It creates this legendary historical swell of clubs up and down the ladder.  This just looks like a way to start bringing the worst of US leagues into it.  Protecting certain clubs over the long haul by limiting how far up/down someone can rise/fall.

Fuck that. 

Sweep of history!!!! Centuries deep!!!!

Interview with FIFA presidential candidate Jerome Champagne

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/05/08/4797359/champagne-champions-league-elites-looting-must-stop

Some of this is more FIFA crazy talk, but I do like some of what he's saying about bringing back financial equality, but can he actually get any of it done?  Or will Sepp Blatter run again and keep things, business as usual...

I still think the "European Super League" idea is nothing but a pipe dream. It's been coming "Within the next 5 years" since, at the very least, the late 1990's (before that I couldn't say). At least he basically says it's a bad idea, so that's good.

Interesting piece, seems like someone who has some genuinely decent ideals about the game, though we all know how quickly politics can twist those.

Anything but Sepp.

• Like 1

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/05/08/4797359/champagne-champions-league-elites-looting-must-stop

Some of this is more FIFA crazy talk, but I do like some of what he's saying about bringing back financial equality, but can he actually get any of it done?  Or will Sepp Blatter run again and keep things, business as usual...

All I know about Jerome Champagne is that Andrew Jennings said he was clean, which, for someone involved with FIFA, is really something.

Yeah he seems like a stand-up guy, but big organizations like FIFA seem to have a way of corrupting people with good intentions like this guy and ruining their initial ambitions.  At least he realizes the inequality and money gap between the top clubs nowadays, and would hopefully work on leveling the playing field.  He certainly seems like the lesser of two evils when compared to Blatter.

As far as I'm concerned Blatter and a few others should be held at least partially responsible for the situation In Qatar where we're measuring stadiums in "number of migrant worker deaths". That entire affair is completely across the line of any concept of decency, and the only thing protecting a lot of people involved in that from the law, is that they're wealthy enough the law can't touch them. I find it pretty repulsive, to be honest.

• Like 2

I still think the "European Super League" idea is nothing but a pipe dream. It's been coming "Within the next 5 years" since, at the very least, the late 1990's (before that I couldn't say). At least he basically says it's a bad idea, so that's good.

Interesting piece, seems like someone who has some genuinely decent ideals about the game, though we all know how quickly politics can twist those.

Anything but Sepp.

Yeah we all know the Super League would be a horrible idea, glad to see some more top brass feel that way also.

I did find it funny he was against "naturalization doping" (ie taking kids from foreign lands and giving them citizenship to play for your national team) when that's basically how his country France has stayed relevant in the last few years.   But it's a weird question to think about... for instance, should a kid from Africa who comes to France as a teenager to live and train, retain citizenship in his home country?  If that was the case most European countries wouldn't take any foreign children at all.

The Bundesliga has it´s last half of this season ahead of it. As of now, Braunschweig and Nuremberg go down to the 2. Bundesliga, Schalke is taking the third CL spot, Wolfsburg the fourth. Leverkusen, Moenchengladbach and Mainz are going into the EURO-League. Hamburger SV seems to get a final chance to stay in the Bundesliga, drawing in Mainz and therefore winning 16th place, which would result in a playoff against the 2. Bundesliga´s third place. Still 45 minutes to go, a lot of stuff can change.

Bundesliga finishes as follows:

Top of the table:

1. Bayern 90 points

2. Dortmund 71 points

3. Schalke 64 points

----

4. Leverkusen 61 points

Bayern won the league in march, since then, but only since then, experienced somewhat of a slump regarding their form in the league. In the end it is still the second best finish for any team since the 3-point-per-win-rule was put into effect in the 1994/1995 season. Dortmund was plagued by a ridiculous amount of injuries all season, loosing Gündogan and Subotic very very early in the season, Błaszczykowski right after the winter break and many other players like Hummels, Lewandowski and Reux for extended amounts of games during the season, but managed to get out of the season with the third-heighest amount of points in their history. Schalke started really shaky and had some injury trouble on their own, but their very young team clawe their way into a great third place finish and will continue to learn. Leverkusen looked to be Bayern´s hunter in the first half of the season, but experienced an incredible loss of form right after the winter break. They recovered under interim-coach Sascha Lewandowski (no relations to the striker), managed to get 13 points in the last five matches and are now heading for CL-qualifiers after a tough win on the last matchday.

The battle for the EURO-League

5. Wolfsburg 60 points

6. Moenchengladbach 55 points

7. Mainz 53 points

--------------------

8. Augsburg 52 points

Wolfsburg could have been included in the top of the table group aswell, playing a good season and coming very close to edging out Leverkusen due to a very good run of form late in the season. Ultimately they dropped too many points against weaker opponents at home to take it all the way. Moenchengladbach had their loss of form at the beginning of the second half of the season after a great run in their first seventeen games, taking wins in all but their last games at home until christmas. Mainz and Ausburgs are teams with very limited capacities, who made the most of it. Augsburg, up until now, was thought to be battling relegation every season, but they were never in any danger. They will vividly remember this season, especially for beating the mighty Bayern to end their unbeaten run on national competition after more than one and a half years. Mainz ultimately profited of Bayern and Dortmund reaching the German cup final, but played a great season and deserves European club footie.

The middle of the pack

9.   Hoffenheim 44 points

10. Hannover 42

11. Hertha BSC Berlin 41

12. Werder Bremen 39

13. Frankfurt 36

14. Freiburg 36

Hoffenheim with their second best performance in the Bundesliga was the team whose matches saw the most goals, 72 scored compared to 70 conceeded. That´s spectacular stuff to watch, but never more than the middle of the table in any league I assume. Hannover might have had different expectations and goals, but after being part of the relegation battle long enough they were probably happy to be relatively far away from 16th or even 17th place. Hertha had a fantastic first half of the season, scoring 28 points and was never in any fear of relegation which was their major goal after getting promoted in 2013. Bremen had a few runs of bad games, but was ultimately more stable than they were last season, showing progress especially during the latter stages as opposed to their last season, where they went without a win for 14 games in a row. Frankfurt was playing EURO-League and it showed, after they got eliminated in a thrilling performance against Porto in early 2014, they started winning again and fastly climbed back up the ladder, having nothing to do with relegation in the end. Freiburg suffered from the same problems, their first seventeen games were heavily influenced by their run in Europe, which ended even sooner and helped them stabilizing aswell. Once more they overcame the loss of key players despite limited financial possibilities.  

The deep depths of the Bundesliga

15. Stuttgart 32 Points

-------------------------------

16. Hamburger SV 27

------------------------------

17. Nuremberg 26

18. Braunschweig 25

The last years have seen a steady decline at the bottom of the table, this year being a low point so far. Only once were the last four teams worse at the end of the season, and never before has their been a comparable bad run of form among the bottom three teams, all of them losing their five final games of the season. Stuttgart kept the league firing two coaches, Hamburg did the same to at least make it to the 16th place, Hamburg, whose nickname is "the dinosaur of the Bundesliga" since they have been a part of it from the start and have never been relegated until now, have a chance to play the 2. Bundesliga´s third place in a two-leg-playoff. A win would keep them in the league. Nuremberg couldn´t avoid relegation despite using the same "tactics" as Stuttgart and Hamburg, ultimately they seemed to lack passion. Braunschweig showed lots of spirit, but a distinct lack of class aswell. They were the only team of the bottom four to keep their coach and they will probably keep them in the 2. Bundesliga, their year of Bundesliga was more of treat to the fans and the city.

The relegational playoffs which Hamburg will be playing will be coming Thursday, May 15th and May 18th, Sunday. Possible opponents are Fürth, Paderborn or Kaiserslautern. Wall of text...ending. ;)

• Like 7

Once I finally got over being butthurt about Gol TV not having La Liga anymore here, I actually have got into the Bundesliga a lot more. Probably watched more over the last year than ever before. I don't know if there's a Euro league more allergic to the 0-0 game than Germany. Even the lower table teams seems to at least want to play positively, most of the time.

Bayern really did just turn it off late in the year once they had the title locked up and they couldn't flip it back on in the CL. They haven't looked close to as good domestically either agreed. Schalke had a couple rough hiccups this year too but still got it together enough to be third. They have a lot to do in the transfer market though if they're going up any higher. Monchengladbach played really well overall but losing Ter Stegen to Barcelona might hurt them bad, he's a fantastic young keeper. I guess they are replacing him with 25 year old Swiss Yan Sommer, who I hear is considered underrated by a lot of people in the know just due to lack of exposure, so we'll see.

West Ham stopped Manchester United winning the Premier League holding them to a draw at home allowing Blackburn Rovers to win the title even though they lost to Liverpool away. Doubt they can do against Manchester City. Big Sam be the toast of Liverpool if his team can!