DVDVR Message Board

RAW 4/28

OSJ

Does anyone else want to read the glowing review that Gregg would most assuredly give a film like Borderline Cult?

HA! The thing is that I hate horror movies for the most part, beyond the obvious classics. I also haven't seen True Detective so I don't know any potential Bray references there.

However, I studied religious cults a lot in college. They were one of my favorite topics -- how does a charismatic leader like Jim Jones or the Hale Bopp guy or David Koresh get people to bring themselves to the point of dedication where they're willing to kill themselves?

I'm also very much into Christianity. I recently switched from being Catholic to Episcopalian (and please oh please let's not get into a religious discussion here) and had to study a lot of material in order to be officially received in my new church. I also like watching and hearing evangelicals, even though I'm far from that personally. This new interest timed out well with the Wyatt Family's debut and reign of terror.

RVD looks like hot stinky garbage.

They need to stop this Swagger-Cesaro thing like yesterday.  One match and move on would have been ideal but now its this mess of heel guy feuding with another heel guy while both attack each other and ugh.  Its a shame really because Swagger (yes Swagger) actually deserves better at this point than being the guy who gets beat up every week.  They could have totally moved on by now and no one would be sad.

If RVD looks like hot stinky garbage, would you rather see Swagger-Cesaro drawn out or Cesaro moving on to an extended feud with RVD?

RVD looks like hot stinky garbage.

They need to stop this Swagger-Cesaro thing like yesterday.  One match and move on would have been ideal but now its this mess of heel guy feuding with another heel guy while both attack each other and ugh.  Its a shame really because Swagger (yes Swagger) actually deserves better at this point than being the guy who gets beat up every week.  They could have totally moved on by now and no one would be sad.

If RVD looks like hot stinky garbage, would you rather see Swagger-Cesaro drawn out or Cesaro moving on to an extended feud with RVD?

Neither.  Considering the big nothing that Sheamus is doing right now, Cesaro would be better off swinging him on his way up to bigger and better things.

• Like 1

I would rather Cesaro go into a feud with Sheamus with this point over a battle of who can bash each other harder.  Sheamus is totally rocking it lately and it would make for some pretty nice matches.  Swags could be working Rey Mysterio, Big E or even Sami Zayn just on NXT and be in a better spot.

• Like 1

For the record, there were multiple segments that had the "crowd standing the entire time". I think the crowd had some moments of being huge (That place was on fire for Bryan, and were really into the Usos), but everything else had the crowd divided. Wyatt/Cena was about 50/50 in support, Barrett had a lot of support, and it's Ortons hometown.

Anyone else catch Flair winking at Evolution after the handshake? Was it just me?

So I wonder if I am the only one who turned off RAW during the super long Evolution beating assuming that was that and missed the Shield coming back?  I had to check it out on WWE.com just now because it was getting late and I have work and dogs and stuff to do in the morning.  Is that poor pacing or a deliberate lesson to me not to turn off the show until the logo rolls?  

Definitely a lesson. Assuming you're a seasoned wrestling viewer, I'm surprised you tuned out as soon as Evolution didn't go for a table spot. Rollins being on the floor an absurdly long time while everyone else was in the ring should've also tipped you off. It was a perfect play on the tedious HHH-led beatdowns we've seen the past month.

On another note, it's weird to think how it looked like WWE had big plans for Cesaro after Mania, and now he's in the epitome of a "we have no idea what to do with these guys" match, assuming the triple threat goes down as it appears. He should be fighting Swagger in a flag match for the rights to the Real Americans theme and the "We the people" catchphrase, damn it. RVD should be fired, from a giant cannon, into the sun.

• Like 1

I though WWE was getting better but its still the same crap a lot of the time. Pretty much anything that happens on the show other than wrestling is incredibly unwatchable. "HOW DO YOU THINK MY WIFE FELT WHEN.. blah blah blah". The crowd really looked rivited by the drama. Its like a bunch of cry babies who somehow talk to eachother without ever making any points. This idea of a "male soap opera" is really stupid and always has been.

The kids singing was interesting for a few minutes.. after a few bars its like 'ok I get it'. And of course they show a replay of people singing immediately after. No higlights of cool moves replayed, but but your ass you'll get a replay of whatever boring 20minute peech HHH made. Its funny how in WWE if you as a fan tried to get into the ring to beat someone down security would be on you immediately. However a wrestler can come out (with music and pyro no less) tie someone up, beat him down with weapons, etc for 20+ minutes and no security or referees or anyone to try an stop them. Ah the good old "WWE Universe" where nothing makes sense and no one seems to care.

I liked how they do the opening segment showing how a majority of the audience has turned on Cena. Then maybe an hour later they show this heart warning video package of Cena meeting Make a Wish kids. I couldn't help but read that as "this fanbase is a bunch of assholes." I have a huge amount of respect for what John Cena has done for sick kids.

Can someone get Flair to DDP's yoga program or something? Sad seeing him trotted out like that.

Best Rybaxel match yet, surprised they didn't save it for ER, maybe as a Tornado Tag since there are only two matches with stipulations. I'm not counting the WeeLC match because honestly have no clue what they are doing with that one.

I imagine Batista is eating the fall this Sunday so he can disappear for a while to promote Guardians of the Galaxy.

Finally, glad Barrett won because the crowd seemed into him as opposed to RVD who I wish would go away. His schtick is old and stale, he isn't bringing anything to the table with his current run and it seems like it is only happening so they have an excuse to promote Heyman's DVD and give Cesaro a victory over someone established. Cesaro-Swagger in a gimmick match would have been fine enough for ER or even Ziggler-Sandow would have been better than RVD's act.

Flair turning on the Shield may just be the most telegraphed thing ever. What would be great is if the Shield, much like Vic Mackey's crew, sniffed out the double-cross ahead of time and we complete avoid that obvious finish. I would be totally fine with a draw of some sort because shit just gets way out of control...

and then we get Daniel Bryan and the Shield vs Kane and Evolution.

The children's choir segment was fine with me. I didn't come away thinking "wow, even the kids have turned on Cena" as much as I did "Oh, Bray Wyatt hired a kids choir to come taunt Cena, that's cool", but it made for a rad visual nonetheless.

I still don't "get" the feud though. I don't get why the odds are supposed to be stacked against Cena in a one-on-one steel cage match when Cena fought off the entire Wyatt Family before beating Wyatt at WrestleMania. A one-on-one cage match seems like advantage Cena.

I don't get how this whole feud has been built around Cena supposedly "leading the blind masses" who all support him (when in reality less than half of the live crowds on RAW actually cheer for him) and now, the announcers are crediting Wyatt for "brainwashing" the audience into singing with him and "turning" on Cena, when in reality the crowds turned on Cena about SEVEN YEARS AGO.

I don't get how Cena using a steel chair would be going to some "dark side", as if he hasn't gone to a "dark place" to brutalize people like Brock Lesnar or Randy Orton in no holds barred/no DQ matches in the past. 

I also don't get what is supposed to be making Cena so uneasy? How did Bray get in his head? With some spooky promos? The fact that he hired a kids choir? How could any of these things send Cena to a darker place than Randy Orton punting his dad in the fucking head?!

I also don't get how they can push this idea that Bray Wyatt doesn't need to win matches to accomplish his "goals". How is that even remotely a feasible argument? This is pro wrestling. Everything that happens leads to a wrestling match, and the end result of that match is always a winner and a loser. If Wyatt can't beat Cena, none of this shit really matters. 

I don't want to have to suspend ALL logic to enjoy a storyline. That's essentially what WWE is asking me to do here.

Speaking of logic, the only logical way this can end is if they do a double turn in the cage where Cena goes above and beyond to beat Bray to a bloody pulp, horrifying all the children in the audience so much so that they don't want to cheer for him anymore. I don't see how any other scenario makes sense. If Cena overcomes whatever the "odds" are that are currently stacked against him, Bray just looks even more like a chump.

• Like 1

Cena's so uneasy because he's scared that his time is no longer now.  He's worried he's going to become a nobody and that his WWE Universe is transforming into something new and horrifying that he can't handle or control.  The crowd is somehow more brutal, and the wrestlers are immune to his poop jokes.

I also like to think that Bray not caring about wins/losses bothers Cena because only Cena's not supposed to care about wins/losses, but that's just me projecting.

• Like 1

Flair turning on the Shield may just be the most telegraphed thing ever. What would be great is if the Shield, much like Vic Mackey's crew, sniffed out the double-cross ahead of time and we complete avoid that obvious finish. I would be totally fine with a draw of some sort because shit just gets way out of control...

and then we get Daniel Bryan and the Shield vs Kane and Evolution.

and they sniff it out by having Arn Anderson show up to spinebuster Flair pre-emptively for some reason

Its funny how in WWE if you as a fan tried to get into the ring to beat someone down security would be on you immediately. However a wrestler can come out (with music and pyro no less) tie someone up, beat him down with weapons, etc for 20+ minutes and no security or referees or anyone to try an stop them. Ah the good old "WWE Universe" where nothing makes sense and no one seems to care.

I'm confused. So you...don't like pro wrestling? Because these things are major conventions of it. 

Its funny how in WWE if you as a fan tried to get into the ring to beat someone down security would be on you immediately. However a wrestler can come out (with music and pyro no less) tie someone up, beat him down with weapons, etc for 20+ minutes and no security or referees or anyone to try an stop them. Ah the good old "WWE Universe" where nothing makes sense and no one seems to care.

fans are easier to subdue than pro wrestlers. I'm surprised a WWE heel doesn't just "hire" a private security force to make up for the limitations of WWE Security, plus it'd be like Lebanon where everybody just hires armed dudes to back them at all times

Loved the Cena/Wyatt stuff, can't wait for the cage match

Was it just me or were Cody & Alberto stiffing/sandbagging each other?

I think my favorite part of the show was when Flair was getting into the ring and Dean Ambrose said something like "I don't know, I can't hear shit".  The end segment was awesome, Ambrose eating the spinebuster on the floor was hilarious.