DVDVR Message Board

Pull Apart Brawls or Donnybrooks

To me, this is a lost art. Pull apart brawls when done right, like anything in wrestling, can put asses in the seats, but also can convey that these motherfuckers really hate each other! When not done right, it can look like the two enemies or two factions are really not trying to kill each other. The intensity has to be there in order to make it look good. And in some cases it also helps if there's legit heat and they really want to kick each other's asses.

Here's one of my favorites. Say what you will about the split factions of the nWo, but this was well pulled off in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipIn98IYDI

I can't remember the date, but there was a Nitro in 97 that had one of those "all feuds converging" type brawls.  It started with a NWO brawl, and ended up involving the Horsemen, Harlem Heat, the Steiners and seemingly everyone else.

Dude, I really wish someone would've knocked out Green Lantern Fan :D

Also, ROH needs to get the stick out of their butts and allow uploading of some of their old material, because there was one brawl that I really wanted to put on here but couldn't. It was at Testing The Limit after the Briscoes vs. The Rottweilers. Jay pinned Low-Ki if I remember correctly, and Ki gets up and kicks Jay's head for a field goal! Mark, of course not wanting to stand around and take this shit, immediately gets in Ki and Homicide's grill about it, suddenly Samoa Joe appears, then Julius Smokes, and it was World War III. You gotta remember that this was 2004, when all that crazy shit happened in ROH, and I believe it was the locker room needing to let out a lot of steam and frustration from the whole situation. Gabe was smart to book it and it came off looking like a real fight.

• Like 1

I can't remember the date, but there was a Nitro in 97 that had one of those "all feuds converging" type brawls.  It started with a NWO brawl, and ended up involving the Horsemen, Harlem Heat, the Steiners and seemingly everyone else.

I am 99% sure this was the one that ended with Hogan backing off from a Villano which is like the greatest thing in the history of wrestling.

• Like 2

Meanie didn't "cry about it", he had a legit gripe because JBL was unprofessional and fucking shot on him. Did you see what Meanie looked like afterward? I'd be pissed too if somebody did that because of some shit I said on the internet... hell I'd be pissed no matter what reason they did it for.

• Like 6

When the Bellas first turned heel, Brie was a little shit stirrer while Nikki started choking divas. I was amused by it:

So much to like here:

- Traver just hanging out for no reason

- The comically over acted grasps by the Bellas

- Gail and DB subtly calling the twins stupid

- Brie asking when was the last time Gail was on TV

- Gail calling the twins useless

- Nikki YANKING Gail by the throat for slapping her sister

- Nikki stomps on Gail in the corner while Brie goes on the attack of DB

Nikki needs to go back to chokin' a bitch. :(

TNA had one that lasted most of an Impact and ... it wasn't deplorable.

This?

I do believe so. Wasn't there one that was attached to a Christian/Abyss match, as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I dug back into the NJPW '80s set to watch Murdoch vs. Abby (which was awesome and very close to Andre/Hansen levels of riotous behavior) then the next match happened to be a super-hot Fujinami vs. Choshu match with a great pull-apart where Fujinami refused to release the Scorpion, got DQed and everyone fills the ring for a brawl. That wasn't on Youtube but this (and I'm hoping it's the right match) is. I can't watch it so if you watch this, let me know if it's the right match, where Ogawa pretty much shoots on Hash and the feud between UFO and NJPW comes to a head. That is a pretty high bar for Pier 6 Brawls, as Gordon Solie used to call them (TM Jim Ross)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxftF1GObVQ

• Like 3

I loved the one between Morishima and Joe back in 2006 after all the NOAH and ROH guys came out to ringside to listen to Bruno, i think it was Glory by Honor V. It was great because it was short and sweet, it came completely out of nowhere and the crowd went nuts for it.

I can't find a clip of it.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

TNA had one that lasted most of an Impact and ... it wasn't deplorable.

This? 

The parking lot clips were good, the in ring stuff was too goofy for an all riot. Since when do you hit irish whips in a riot?

The ROH brawl previously posted between Homicide's crew and Corino's crew was the best except for Gabe constantly yelling "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!"

Theres a two part video series chronicling the CZW-ROH feud on YouTube. I remember the internet going crazy for the feud it was a big deal. Is the Cage of Death match up in full on either YouTube or Daily Motion?