DVDVR Message Board

Stand Ups and All The Stuff Related Thread

Johnny Sorrow

If you guys haven't checked out Dave Attell's most recent special, you really need to. So awesome and it makes me wish Attell would crank out more specials. This is his first since Skanks for the Memories, I believe.

I also want to recommend Tom Segura's special, which you can check out on Netflix. So good. I love his and Christina's "Your Mom's House" podcast. They're two of the funniest people around and his special is really good.

• Like 2

It's all brilliant. I still thing he's the best comic around, even better than Louie CK, whose Oh My God special wasn't all that great.

Feelin' Kinda Patton and Werewolves and Lollypops are both ridiculously funny.

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Louis CK, I just don't get his humor. My favorites are Christopher titus(his new show is awesome, see him if he's ever in your area). Also love Patton and Maria Bamford.

When Burr's last hour came out, I watched all of his specials back-to-back-to-back. Not a single drop in quality in all. His last two are easily my favorite recent ones (meaning in the last five years or so) alongside Elephant in the Room, Animal Furnace, Your Way Ain't Working, and Happy Thoughts. I liked Hannibal's last one but Animal Furnace was a bit stronger. The boxing bit, however, is fucking spot-on and great. Still need to catch on Patton and Louie. I wish they (Comedy Central) would fucking give Roy Wood Jr. his half hour already, and give Maronzio a full hour after Angry Smiler.

If you like Burr, you should listen to the first episode of the Uninformed Podcast he did with Joe Derosa. Absolutely hilarious mess with zero radio format.

Apparently, they're bringing back Last Comic Standing with Wanda Sykes at the helm. That might be a tragedy in the making in regard to the talent they find.

Also, I miss Giraldo too.

Edit: Lenny Clarke, the only man to have a coke and weight problem. - Nick DiPaolo

He was my favorite stand-up. Had he lived, I think he would've finally broke through that glass ceiling and been hailed as one of the all-time greats.

Yeah, Patrice was something special , just one of the funniest and smartest guys there was. Listening to him commentate on the "epic beard man on the bus " video on Opie and Anthony a few years ago had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.
  • Like 2

She totally paved the way for Iliza Shlesinger and Amy Shumer. Maybe looking like Richard Moll is sexy in some circles.

Speaking of Night Court and female standups, the fact that Marsha Warfield at one point was semi-attractive on the Richard Pryor Show scares me a little. I'm glad that was way before my time. Because when she made it big, she did not look this:

I saw Henry Rollins spoken word back in 2005 when he did a run of shows in NYC for a week. I also saw the Rollins Band the same year. I wouldn't call it stand-up, although there is a lot of humor in it. Throughout his storytelling; he covered his music career, acting, travelling, performing at USO shows, politics, etc. I would definitely go see him again if he came to my area.

To answer Craig's question, Henry has no kids. He's pretty open about marriage and kids not being for him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've enjoyed Aziz Ansari in the small amount of things I've seen/heard him in, but his standup (Dangerously Delicious) didn't work for me at all. Something about the way he delivers his performance. I don't know. It's hard to explain. Just too on the nose, I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For some bizarre reason, NPR's Fresh Air chose to kick-off their Joan Rivers tribute with this clip, which in turn caused to me change the station as they played Joan's justifications.

I can understand where the heckler was coming from, I have a nephew who is deaf, a father with Supranuclear Palsy, and four cousins with Muscular Dystrophy, and I would punch in the face anyone who made a joke about any of those illnesses, and I would never make a joke about those diseases.

Louis CK, on Opie & Anthony, takes Joan's position, but even he admitted that after he made a joke about Down's Syndrome on Twitter, that he got several Tweets in response from the parents of children with Down's Syndrome that weren't angry but were impassioned descriptions of the difficulty that people with Down's have that even he had to pause and wonder if he had crossed a line.

Anybody been watching The Meltdown on Comedy Central? It's pretty scattershot since the hosts take up the majority of the running time but you get some treats, like the sudden Jackass-style public freakout from Eric Andre on the last ep. It's on I want to say either Wed. or Thurs. after @Midnight (which is full of stand-ups doing great improv jokes too. 

Trevor Noah has a pretty good standup running on the pay channels. His stuff is almost all racially based and full of stereotype impersonations but what he says is spot-on. Pretty one-note though. 

Caught the Neil Brennan special last night and that was GREAT. Also, if you don't catch the Joan Rivers special from two years back if it replays again... you are really really missing out.