DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

He's not, but him + Bennett (who *might* still have potential now that he's healthy and in shape) + two or three picks is certainly a better starting point to rebuilding than "Kevin Love leaves and we get both Jack and Shit."

All reports are that Love will sign long-term with Cleveland if the deal gets made (no chance in HELL they trade Wiggins without having that in place) but when he a full range of options next summer, he might very well go elsewhere.  Which means, most likely, you waste two or three years of Lebron's prime hoping Wiggins enters his own before Lebron's is over.

But if I'm Cleveland, I think I could afford to be patient and wait until the deadline if I have to, and try to not give up Wiggins.  Hell, maybe Wiggins develops faster than seems likely and you find you don't really need to make a deal. 

Here's the thing, though:  Golden State has made it fairly clear that they aren't moving Thompson, and I don't see anything resembling a better deal on the table than the Waiters/Bennett/Picks pu pu platter.

Rumor that is almost certainly not true but just came across my twitter and I laughed so damn hard:

Lakers trying to put together a "blockbuster" deal for Eric Bledsoe that includes trading away....  Julius Randle.

I'm not out on Waiters. He probably will never be an all-star but he can be a Crawford type difference maker off the bench.

The only problem with him is that he thinks he's a lot better than that. . . 

Rumor that is almost certainly not true but just came across my twitter and I laughed so damn hard:

Lakers trying to put together a "blockbuster" deal for Eric Bledsoe that includes trading away....  Julius Randle.

I don't buy that deal at all. They could have just signed him to an offer sheet if they really wanted Bledsoe. They moved quickly towards that Lin trade when they were out on getting Melo and then tried re-signing everyone from last season's team.

Bulls did it again.  Lose Nate Robinson, signed D.J. Augustin.  Lose D.J. Augustin, signed Aaron Brooks.

Look, say what you want their front office, but they keep signing quality PGs for cheap.  Good move, especially if Brooks health holds up.

• Like 1

The thing with the Love/Wiggins trade is that the Wolves have little to no bargaining chips.  Love is leaving, everyone knows that so teams are willing to wait them out instead of giving away their more valuable assets.  The Cavs could very easily send 2-3 under 25 pieces with rookie contracts and 2-3 picks without giving up Wiggins, and the Wolves aren't going to get that from anyone else.  None of those guys are stars, but no one else can offer them anything better.  So the question is do they want the best they can get, or do they want nothing.  They very well could get absolutely nothing if they try to ask for too much.  With that said the only people on the Cavs who should be anything close to off limits are LeBron, Irving(duh), and Wiggins, every other player should be available.  Why not Thompson, Waiters, Bennett and the picks?  That is better than anyone else can offer, and the Cavs wouldn't have to give up anyone who would start any way.  All of those guys are cheap, young, and have potential the Timberwolves need cheap, young potential.  Anyone else they will either have to overpay or aren't going to stick around for long, they might as well get dudes on their rookie contracts. 

Getting Love, though, gives a team a chance to offer him an extension without any competition before his contract ends. That's what Houston did when they got Harden as soon as they landed him. Harden could have waited and commanded his market but Houston offered him the max and he took it. If Love walks as a free agent if Minnesota doesn't trade him, there ends up a ton of team with cap space who could make a play -- the Lakers, a bunch of Eastern Conference teams, etc.

You still can't give up too much. Wiggins and one of those picks should work for Love. I'd throw in Anthony Bennett because he's worthless -- if "actually playing in games" is improvement, who gives a crap about that dude? Maybe LBJ and Blatt could work some magic and make him something but that's not too much.

I'm really excited for Blatt. I can't wait to see if he breaks out any weirdo stuff, especially with arguably the most awesomely versatile player of all-time in his hands. LBJ talked with reverence about this year's Spurs teams and I legit think that was an impetus for him to move on.

I love Klay Thompson so much. The Splash Brothers are the most entertaining duo in basketball. Nothings makes he more excited than a game where either of those two dudes gets scorching hot, and doubly so for the not-so-uncommon games when both of them are bombing. But man not shedding him and the really overrated David Lee for Kevin Love will bite them in the ass.

I'd rather let Love walk for nothing than take on more mediocre/crappy players. With Barea's sorry ass set to be a FA next season along with LMAM, the Wolves would have cap space that they haven't had in years to play with. I'll take that over getting garbage and mid-late 1st round picks for a top 10 player in the league.

Yeah I would rather nothing than Cleveland's crap. It's basically the same deal Minnesota made with Boston for Garnett. A deal that everyone now pretty much says happened because of McHale and Ainge being friends. It's not like Minnesota has to trade him before the start of the season. They have until February to get something for him and by then they can see if they are again not making the playoffs which would most certainly be the case by trading him for players that have been nothing for a horrible team in the East.

I feel like if Minnesota wanted Wiggins and Cleveland was willing to deal him, it would be done by now. Maybe not officially, since it'll be easier to construct a deal once Wiggins signs and has a tangible salary value, but I kinda feel like an agreement would've been reached in principal or something.

My guess is Minnesota wanted too many draft picks.  Asking for Wiggins, Bennett, and one 1st round pick seems fair.  But if they asked for 2-3 picks, then Cleveland would understandably balk.  It's better to ride the roller-coaster for a bit longer and see what happens than to give up that much of the future.

My guess is Minnesota wanted too many draft picks.  Asking for Wiggins, Bennett, and one 1st round pick seems fair.  But if they asked for 2-3 picks, then Cleveland would understandably balk.  It's better to ride the roller-coaster for a bit longer and see what happens than to give up that much of the future.

If I'm Cleveland, my offer is Waiters, Bennett and the pick. I know its not going to get done, but Wiggins value may not be any higher than now, and if I'm losing him, its for him and a combo of picks only.  Minnesota may only get more desperate, so let them sweat a while. . . 

Minnesota will just milk it to the last moment. Their front office is smart enough to know that they are the ones with leverage. James is turning 30 and is on the phone with Love. No mystery what he wants. No reason Minnesota can't just let him walk after the season and potentially do a sign and trade. People that think Minnesota will become desperate enough to just take Waiters and Bennett are fooling themselves. Minnesota just drafted LaVine to play SG. So in their best case scenario Waiters would be coming off the bench. Like he did for most of the season in Cleveland. An Eastern Conference lottery team. With Love on the team those Cav draft picks have little value. 

Minnesota will just milk it to the last moment. Their front office is smart enough to know that they are the ones with leverage.

This is a historical moment people.  This is the first time in history anyone has ever referred to the Minnesota Timberwolves' front office as smart.  I can't think of a single NBA team that has had more inept management than Minnesota.  Remember the Joe Smith situation, the KG contract that was worth more than the franchise, the KG trade, the drafting of Rubio and Johnny Flynn back to back, and making Flip Saunders the one of the most powerful guys in the whole sport make me think that they aren't smart enough to do anything.  They also have no leverage, they have an asset who is leaving no matter what, and there is no way they aren't going to trade him for 35 cents on the dollar.  They can only decide whether they want a dime and a quarter or seven nickels.  Everyone else can just wait until the end of the year and get him for nothing.

• Like 5

There are only so many future picks Cleveland is allowed to trade.  They can send out two of their three 2015 picks (Memphis, Miami, and their own, which Chicago has the right to swap with).  The protection on the pick they sent to Boston in the Jarrett Jack deal means the next available pick they can trade is 2021.

There are only so many future picks Cleveland is allowed to trade.  They can send out two of their three 2015 picks (Memphis, Miami, and their own, which Chicago has the right to swap with).  The protection on the pick they sent to Boston in the Jarrett Jack deal means the next available pick they can trade is 2021.

Yeah, but I think Minny asked for at least two #1 picks, with one of them being the Miami pick that would be unprotected in 2017--just as the Heat likely run out of gas with Wade/Bosh and find themselves in the lottery.  There are a lot of moving parts to this, and elements are subject to change.  But I think that's the jist of the situation.

Minnesota will just milk it to the last moment. Their front office is smart enough to know that they are the ones with leverage.

This is a historical moment people.  This is the first time in history anyone has ever referred to the Minnesota Timberwolves' front office as smart.  I can't think of a single NBA team that has had more inept management than Minnesota.  

Yeah they have a poor track record. They don't always get it wrong though. If they did they wouldn't have Love in the first place. They were smart to hold out to get Wiggins included in the talks. Sounds like you would have just taken the awful Bennett and Waiters offer. If Minnesota had no leverage the offer wouldn't have been upped. Not sure how you can't realize this as it is elementary. As long as there is another team willing to trade for Love that he would be willing to sign and extension with Minnesota has leverage. Golden State hasn't walked away yet. There are still free agents available at Waiters and Bennett's level. Though Bennett could still improve. Can just grab Jordan Crawford though if they want a Waiters.