DVDVR Message Board

Who's to say SHIELD didn't show up to investigate, though? Maybe they did, we just didn't see it in this movie. The story in this movie wasn't about SHIELD. It was about Thor, Jane, and Loki.

Actually, come to think of it, they'd probably have wanted to take a look into Selvig's odd behavior as well.  Here's a way to No-Prize it:

Jane made a connection with SHIELD in the first Thor movie...

...so it's easy to imagine that when she first learned about anomalies, she kept SHIELD in the loop and basically served as SHIELD's unofficial eyes on the scene.  Nobody knows that stuff better than she does, so it makes sense they'd let her check it out and report back.  So basically, they did investigate it (and Selvig) via Jane Foster.  Jane got too caught up in her hunky Norse god returning -- and being infected by an Infinity Stone -- to report back to SHIELD that serious shit was going down. 

Of course like you say, narratively speaking, they wouldn't have wanted to bring up the SHIELD thing since it's just checking off a box.  SHIELD didn't play a role in the plot, so they wouldn't want to bring them up if there's no payoff. 

So figure I would help you guys out. The reason The Avengers did not show up is because they have their own shit going on. Little kids figure this stuff out reading the comics and grown adults act like this is hard to figure out. Also Netflix should try paying their bills and keeping King Of The Hill on instant watch, instead of pissing away money on original programming/ 

Iron Man 3 is a lot worse than Thor 2 when it comes to WHERE THE FUCK IS SHIELD? Considering it takes place on American soil, has Iron Man inviting a terrorist to his house and then has said terrorist kidnapping the President. What level of clearance did they need to do anything? 

Further thoughts on Thor

Thor just single handedly beat a bigger threat than the entire Avengers team did. What use would Cap or Iron Man be? Clearing people out of harms way?

I liked the film more than you did but that was something that bugged me too. Granted it was more of a containable threat than in The Avengers, a handful of troops and one big bad as apposed to an entire army, but the threat, the end of the world, was the same.

Apparently you guys don't read comic books? This has been an ongoing issue since super hero became a word. 

It's rarely an issue. I can think of one time in twenty+ years it bugged me.

I'm not bothered by it, either- I'm just pointing out the dumb of the WHERE WAS THE HULK AND FALCON line we're gonna get from these guys until Marvel stops making movies.

Thor has his comic. It's about Thor. Sometimes other people show up. But if every Thor comic ended with EVERYONE CAME TO HELP it 1. wouldn't be a Thor comic anymore and 2. The concept of 'everyone is here' wouldn't be special anymore

This is tremendous, you guys have the highest standards when it comes to pro wres logic, but when it comes to movies in the same "universe" it's all ok because comics. That is the entire gist of your argument.

Someone else made a far better point - make the conflicts more personal and less OH MY GOD THE WORLD WILL END and it won't look as stupid. As it is, we had the Avengers show up to stop some aliens from conquering New York, but not showing up to stop an alien from killing the entire universe.

I mean, the simple solution would be to not set it on Earth but I guess someone had a boner for London?

• Like 1

Tony destroyed his armor and is busy trying to heal his psyche and his relationship with Pepper.

Cap is busy trying to adjust to life in the modern world.

'Tasha and Clint are on deep undercover missions and could not be reached in time.

Bruce is off in some undeveloped 3rd world country keeping himself away from humanity again and being a doctor, with no easy access to news.

The rest of SHIELD is dealing with various petty bullshit, and this major threat didn't present itself until it was nearly over.

• Like 2