DVDVR Message Board

I already posted my views on Iron Man 3 a few pages back (didn't like it) but if were going on casuals then all i can add is that the 4 people i went to see it with are in no way comic book fans, they watched it because they liked the previous films. Their views ranged from bad to average. I get there are a lot of people who liked it and it took a shit ton of money at the box office but you cant say people hating on it are in the minority. Definitely wasn't the same 'buzz' in the audience when i saw it as there was for Avengers and Thor: The Dark World. Unless everyone that didn't like it is located entirely to the cinema i saw it in, and FSW.

THOR 2 was fun, though I'm not sure I'd call it a good movie.

The plot is a grab bag of fantasy tropes, the villains are big nothings (Congratulations, Red Skull, you're no longer the worst villain in a Marvel movie), the Sif/Jane angle gets dropped before it even begins, the Warriors Three get nothing to do (the poor Asian guy gets unceremoniously dumped out of the movie in his first scene), and the first half of the movie is a meandering, unfocused drag, as they have to dump a lot of expostion to set up the plot nonsense while also, oddly, spending time developing stories with the supporting characters that they will drop as soon as they get to the part everyone came to see.

But once they actually get to Thor busting Loki out of the joint, it's a fun ride. I think the big battle at the end is actually more high concept and fun than the one at the end of AVENGERS. It's like somebody watched JUMPER and said, "Yeah, this movie is ass, but we can do something with that concept."

If Tom Hiddleston is the MVP of these movies, then Kat Dennings is their double secret weapon. She slays throughout.

If Tom Hiddleston is the MVP of these movies, then Kat Dennings is their double secret weapon. She slays throughout.

Double is right ; ).

I know some did and didn't like Kat Dennings Darcy in Thor and Thor: The Dark World. I liked her in Thor while she irritated my Sister. Can't speak for Thor: The Dark World.

Lot's of people disliked Iron Man 3.  I mean, there is a whole topic floating around of "which was worse, Man of Steel or IM3"?  My biggest point of reference is my buddy Seth, who is the biggest Iron Man mark on Earth.  He typically refuses to say a movie was bad, and will always find things to like.  He's kinda like Alan4L.  With that said, I managed to get a "It wasn't a great movie" out of him.

Timed that right, just managed to see the five minute preview of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I think it's the same footage as described at San Diego Comic-Con 2013 but it didn't leak. Man, I'm so looking forward to this film.

How does Heimdall still have a job? He uses his position to commit treason against the throne in every one of these movies.

Because he's irreplacable. Also, his sister can kick your ass.

Which speaks more for the quality of the slate of films Marvel puts out than anything bad about this flick.

You really think that?
Absolutely. And it shouldn't surprise you. You're the only one not on the Marvel train.

Normal people don't have the boner for it that you guys do, if you talk to anyone who isn't all COMIC BOOKS ARE GRAPHIC NOVELS, they generally find the movies poor to decent, minus Iron Man and The Avengers. Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the end IMO.

I love these appeals -- to what "normal people" think or to what the "consensus" is -- that have no relationship to reality.  I mean, one can look at box office numbers or critical reviews.  Those are actual things.

We all live in our bubbles, but there are ways to look outside your bubble, if you care to.