DVDVR Message Board

Holy shit, Saffron Burrows is already 41.  How long ago was 40 Days and Nights?

11 years.  I don't think she was in it though.

You're right, I was thinking of Shannon Sossamyn (sp?).  I only know Saffron Burrows from Deep Blue Sea and that horrid live-action adaptation of Wing Commander that I only saw because the Episode 1 trailer was attached to it.

No, hes a terrible actor playing a one dimensional character. It was an awful idea from day one.

I usually keep quiet about shit like this but I challenge you to watch Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing and tell me he's a terrible actor after what you see there.

Well, remember that multi-series package Marvel was shopping around a couple of weeks ago?  Netflix has bought the rights to Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and the Defenders.  The four shows with the individual heroes will lead to a team up series.  Daredevil is due to come out in 2015, followed by Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage.  Each series has a minimum commitment of 13 episodes.

Ahem...trying to contain my inner nerd...struggling to not scream like a little girl...you are at work don't lose the respect of your peers by doing cartwheels around the office...okay, I think I'm good...I really like this idea.

• Like 2

Who was the guy prepping a DD reboot before Fox dicked around long enough to let the rights revert? Joe Carnahan? I remember his pitch reel was really good. He seemed to get DD. I hope he's the first guy Netflix calls. They seem good about working with movie directors and Carnahan is a hot name with his Blacklist being one of the few decent new shows.

I have great hopes for this. Not only does Netflix work with good people, they seem pretty creator friendly. They'll probably keep the content PG-13 to fit Marvel's profile (Sorry people hoping for Luke Cage-Jessica Jones buttsex) but Netflix will allow them to go edgier and between that, their lack of meddling, and a 13 episodes commitment, I am very optimistic these shows will turn out better than the dumbed down overcooked mess that is SHIELD.

Let's hope the new Netflix Marvel shows live up to the quality of "Racist Werewolf Show" and "DVD Minisodes Based on Failed Sitcom Show"

Netflix's original programming track record is pretty awesome.  Who would you rather have producing TV for Marvel?

Is the netflix deal why we havent seen any capes on shield so far?

Probably not, the Netflix shows are going to be produced by ABC Studios, just directed and distributed through Netflix.  The reason we haven't seen any capes on Shield so far is probably because they don't believe they need them.  They were correctly arrogant enough to believe that people would watch the show without any super heroes.  Whether or not this show can be successful long term without capes, remains to be seen.  To their credit, they pretty much said up front that there would not be any super heroes on the show.

I'm guessing they'll be rethinking that if the ratings continue to slide. They were down to barely over 7 million viewers this week. Of course, the show is in no danger of going anywhere any time soon, but if ABC has any hopes of building around it, they're going to have to reassess what they're doing.

Watched Thor: The Dark World last night and i thought it was great. Its a good sequel to Thor and a much better follow up to Avengers than Iron Man 3 was. No spoilers or comments yet since its not out on the other side of the pond but definitely worth a watch. I liked the first Thor more than most, and this one more than that. A top 3 in Marvels series of films.

Thor: The Dark World has dropped to 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, 70 fresh and 30 rotten.

Marvel Studios films Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

Iron Man (2008), 93%

The Incredible Hulk (2008), 67%

Iron Man 2 (2010), 73%

Thor (2011), 77%

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), 79%

The Avengers/Avengers Assemble (2012), 92%

Iron Man 3 (2013), 79%

Thor: The Dark World (2013), 70%

Man, I really liked THOR when it came out, but I watched it again recently, and, I guess this goes back to what I said before about all the Marvel movies getting worse with repeated viewing, I was aghast at how rough it was. All of the casting is good, and I think they get the tone of the main central relationships (Thor/Odin/Loki, Thor/Jane) right, but beyond that...guh.

Over the course of the movie, it's never clear exactly what Loki's plan is, and when you finally get the reveal of his masterplan at the end, his explanation is so convoluted you almost wonder if he's just making it up on the spot. It's almost as if he had no plan at all and was just...doing things. That sort of unfocused hellraising worked well with the Joker in TDK (his plan changed constantly), but here it just comes off as half-assed plotting.

And how did the script make it into production with the big threat at the end being Loki destroying Jotunheim? I mean, who cares? Based on what I saw, Jotunheim is a desolate hellscape filled with giant assholes. Fuck 'em. It seems like the first draft would have come back with a note, "Change it to Loki trying to destroy Earth."

And, fuck, the scale work on Laufey is embarrassing. Any time they cut to a close-up of him, it's obvious you're looking at a regular-sized dude.

Much like CAPTAIN AMERICA, though, I think it earns a lot of goodwill based on it's ending, which is pitch perfect and covers over a lot of issues.

I really want to love S.H.I.E.L.D., but Jesus Christ is it fucking boring as all hell.  Even the characters I cared about in the first couple episodes I can't be bothered with.  I just finally got around to knowing everyone's same.  I no longer care if Skye is a real Marvel character or just a Whedon eye-candy type.

Damn, I never thought I'd say this, but if they wanted to make a series that bridges the movies and keeps events in the Universe going, watch Arrow and take notes.

I don't think they even need to aim at Arrow level comic book adaptation.The show seems to be trying to be Eureka: competent eccentric gov't agents dealing with superscience problems...and it absolutely fails. Shield has no idea what tone they're trying to hit. It's just a bad show

Marvel Studios films Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

Iron Man (2008), 93%

The Incredible Hulk (2008), 67%

Iron Man 2 (2010), 73%

Thor (2011), 77%

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), 79%

The Avengers/Avengers Assemble (2012), 92%

Iron Man 3 (2013), 79%

Thor: The Dark World (2013), 70%

I never really look at that site, or reviews in general. I go and watch a film because i want to or it looks good (or i'm bored) but i took a look at some of the bad reviews Thor: The Dark World got and i'm not convinced we watched the same film. What are these people expecting when they go to watch a film about an alien god with a magical hammer fighting space elves based on a comic book?

Fuck it, list time!

Avengers Assemble

Iron Man

Thor: The Dark World

Thor

Iron Man 2

The Incredible Hulk

Captain America

Iron Man 3

I don't know about them holding up on repeat viewing or not, I've not re-watched any of them for a long time. I'm guessing Avengers would do just fine, its such a fun movie and that's why its at the top. Iron Man might be a better film though, i'm not sure, and is the best origin film of the lot. I don't own Captain America or Iron Man 3 so I've only seen them the once, maybe my opinion would change on a 2nd viewing but i'm in no rush. I'll probably give Cap another crack before the sequel next year.

Now that I've read Marvel's release on the Netflix series, I see where they emphasize that all of them will be set in Hell's Kitchen. I know "gritty" is a dirty word among some around here, but I'm hopeful this means the Netflix shows will have a different feel from the bland, sterile palette they've used for the MCU thus far.