DVDVR Message Board

I really want to love S.H.I.E.L.D., but Jesus Christ is it fucking boring as all hell.  Even the characters I cared about in the first couple episodes I can't be bothered with.  I just finally got around to knowing everyone's same.  I no longer care if Skye is a real Marvel character or just a Whedon eye-candy type.

Damn, I never thought I'd say this, but if they wanted to make a series that bridges the movies and keeps events in the Universe going, watch Arrow and take notes.

And another thing about last night's snoozefest:

So, this obscure Alien Virus that Chitari are immune to but carry around infected those 3 fire fighters when they cleaned a mask they found lying around...

What about those 6 people, 3 of which were mere mortal humans, of which 1 wore a suit powered by a reactor IN HIS FUCKING HEART, that literally fought hundreds of those Chitari fuckers hand to hand?  None but that one mask had the virus in it?

Blah.

So, this obscure Alien Virus that Chitari are immune to but carry around infected those 3 fire fighters when they cleaned a mask they found lying around...

What about those 6 people, 3 of which were mere mortal humans, of which 1 wore a suit powered by a reactor IN HIS FUCKING HEART, that literally fought hundreds of those Chitari fuckers hand to hand?  None but that one mask had the virus in it?

Blah.

Shit, I'm going to have to watch all the upcoming Marvel movies to find out...

I swear this show is what happens when a show has a title before it has a plot/script/idea/anything.  It seems like they decided to make a show called Agents of Shield and then spent no time whatsoever trying to figure out what it is actually going to be.  There is absolutely no substance going on in this show, just pretty people with nothing to do. 

I really want to love S.H.I.E.L.D., but Jesus Christ is it fucking boring as all hell.  Even the characters I cared about in the first couple episodes I can't be bothered with.  I just finally got around to knowing everyone's same.  I no longer care if Skye is a real Marvel character or just a Whedon eye-candy type.

Damn, I never thought I'd say this, but if they wanted to make a series that bridges the movies and keeps events in the Universe going, watch Arrow and take notes.

You're one up on me.  I still can't remember what Generic White Special Ops Dude's name is.  Kinda hoping they kill him off before I have to learn it.

You're one up on me.  I still can't remember what Generic White Special Ops Dude's name is.  Kinda hoping they kill him off before I have to learn it.

Agent Ward ; ).

It's a silly point, but on the way to the second floating body, I swear the map showed Coulson and Co. on a road leading right to the farmhouse.  Coulson says they need a shortcut, and May takes a 90 degree turn into a field.  But even if it made sense geographically, it was so obviously "We need an action sequence here so... uh... let's have them drive through a field?"

The first half or more was indeed pretty boring (though the scene with the third firefighter was fairly good, and played into Coulson's arc nicely).  I thought the last 10 minutes or so was alright.  Seems like they missed an opportunity, though.  Could have had Ward grab and antiserum Simmons, then pull the chute, realizing they're too close to the water for the chute to stop them.  Then Simmons' pulse flashes and the electrostatic charge that causes the floating slows them down to safety. (In fact, I wonder if that was the original plan, but they decided it was too expensive to shoot)

Nice to see Titus Welliver, even if they didn't give him much to do. 

I agree with Raziel403 that Arrow is doing much better, but don't forget that Arrow kinda sucked for its first several episodes.  I'd say SHIELD is better at this point in the game than Arrow was.  So there's always hope that SHIELD will get it together the way Arrow has.

Some people are interpreting the last scene with May and Coulson as saying that May has also died and come back to life.  That's not how I took it.  Did I miss something?

I am very close to giving up on this. Yesterday's episode was not only pretty boring but full of shitty, shitty writing. The whole "Fitz has the hots for Skye but when Simmons is in danger he finally realizes that he really cares for her" thing was so contreived. I mean it was obvious that it would happen sooner or later, but the execution was not good at all. Then there was the "we are flying from the east coast to western Africa and therefore cannot land anywhere for the next three hours". I mean the Azores are basically at the halfway point for starters.

And if they continue doing stuff like the alien virus the show will become Fringe with a comic book theme instead of pseudo-science, minus John Noble.

I wrote this about SHIELD if anyone feels like reading: http://joestarr.tumblr.com/post/66209472090/agents-of-shield-needs-some-sausage

I didn't watch last night. I forgot it was on, which is never a good sign. Sounds like more of the same, though. My biggest beef is that with things like 'Fitz has the hots for Skye' they just pull the trigger when they want That Plot Point to happen. They don't plant seeds. Fitz wanting to bang Skye should have been causing problems with the Fitz Simmons Twin dynamic for weeks. 

Posted Image

Saffron Burrows as Victoria Hand. I expect her to be boring and bisexual.

She is and well, she is.

Problem #234957234895 with this show.  A whole universe of characters to use, and they pick Victoria Hand.

Blah.

It was passed by shock.

I actually didn't have any problems with last night's episode. I liked what they did with Fitz/Simmons and even Ward. Also didn't feel bored.

• Like 1

Read the Thor 2 plot synopsis on Wikipedia and VERY disappointed with the twist ending with

Loki using his shape-shifting powers to disguise himself as Odin and seize the throne.

I was really hoping that Thor 3 would focus on Beta Ray Bill and and Walt Simonson's Surtur Saga or the Midgard Serpent and have Kate Upton or some other melon-breasted blonde as The Enchantress or Lorelei.

If they want to have Loki in it as a supporting character, fine, but

to make him the Big Bad again

not what I was hoping for.

This is kind of a broken record, but it was funny when somebody said about Simmons "She's just a kid!"  That, of course, has been a major complaint.  Why are these children -- who are supposed to be top science experts -- on the team anyway?  And in the teaser for next week (not sure if I need to spoilerize the teaser, but to be safe...) 

It looks like Fitz goes on a mission with Ward.  Ugh.

I wonder if Whedon just didn't get that -- unlike Buffy (they were high school kids) or Firefly (it was a motley group thrown together by fate) -- this team by its nature didn't really have a place for children or "weak links".  He should have looked at, for instance, The A-Team.  Different guys have different skill sets and some are tougher than others, but nobody is totally useless in a fight.

The whole "Fitz has the hots for Skye but when Simmons is in danger he finally realizes that he really cares for her" thing was so contreived. I mean it was obvious that it would happen sooner or later, but the execution was not good at all.

It's a standard Whedon subplot (see Cordy-Willow-Xander or Fred-Wes-Gunn) so I figured they'd get around to it sooner or later. But it was done in a pretty hackneyed fashion. Whoever said it 10 pages ago was spot on: Whedon's brother tries to write like him but ends up coming across like a musician who knows all the notes but can only play covers. It's the same song done by a less talented band.This show would've been much better off in the hands of a Ben Edlund or Tim Minear.Only thing I liked about this week's dull ass ep was Coulson's little scene with the dying firefighter. I reject the notion of building a show around him was a mistake. He's a perfectly compelling presence. Problem is he's set up to be a Giles on a show where the Scoobies are a bunch of dull unremarkable bores.