DVDVR Message Board

A SPORTS TALK RADIO THREAD

RIPPA

ESPN 980 here in DC - the station owned by the Skins - is doing 12! hours of coverage for today's Skins/Pats game

A preseason game that almost no starter is playing in...

Speaking of 980...

ESPN 980 here in DC - the station owned by the Skins - is doing 12! hours of coverage for today's Skins/Pats game

A preseason game that almost no starter is playing in...

My favorite part of this is Czaban the day before complaining about how much coverage and hype is made of the game and how it is complete counter-productive since nobody is really playing it in

He is right by the way but unfortunately the team owned radio station doesn't have the same theory

So after about a year of 710 ESPN Seattle being listenable in the mornings, it's back to sucking because they brought back Mike Salk a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who have had the good fortune to never hear his voice, Mike Salk is basically every annoying internet troll ever rolled into one fat hairy little man.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else listens to CBS sports radio, but Tiki Barber and Dana Jacobsen have a bet about the outcome of the Giants/Lions game where the loser has to do a show dressed like the wrestler of their choice. Brandon Tierney, the third host of the show, started talking about 80s wrestling and was actually pretty knowledgable, although he kept referring to Kamala's handler as Friday. He was trying to describe what Kim Chee looked like, and Dana, who is very clearly not in to wrestling, got the wrong idea about his outfit and said 'so this giant black man was brought to the ring by a masked lion tamer?' Which got a good chuckle out of me.

I've watched the TBD show and I like it a lot more than that shitty show with Boomer that they air on the CBS Sports channel and I've always been a huge fan of Dana's from her ESPN days. Oddly enough Dana got into wrestling because she watches Total Divas, she was live tweeting SummerSlam. Either one wearing Kamala face paint in studio with one of those Kamala stars and moon shirts would be hilarious.

Kamala's handler Friday was played by Buddy Wayne in Memphis. It's pretty much the same look and gimmick as Kimchee just a different name. I know it's horribly racist and God awful of me but I've always loved Kamala (the monster heel version anyway, the goofy babyface not so much).

I'm the opposite. I love Boomer and Carton but find TBD to be horrendous (although I really enjoyed Brandon Tierney when he worked for ESPN Radio here in NY). I'm probably biased though being that I'm from NY and their show is NY-centric.

I listen to TBD in the Morning since my nearest station made the switch to CBS in January 2013.  The best shows are when Tierney is gone.  Tiki and Dana have a good rappaport and they play off each other really well.  Tierney's a jackhole who, even when he says something I agree with, expresses himself in a such a condescending way.  And his constant mentioning of his dad being a detective for the narcotics unit is getting stale, too.  I suspect Tierney is dumber than a box of rock salt. And he talks over the other two a lot.  Dude is a rude mofo, and uses a fake Andrew Dice Clay ripoff demeanor to pump himself up.  No one cares about his Brooklyn tough-guy persona.  Just sit down already.

As for the bet, I think Tierney is trying to talk Tiki into being Koko B. Ware.

After the Rice thing and the Peterson thing today, I think I'd have a better shot keeping my sanity if they replaced every caller with Cthulu. The takes are the absolute hottest. It hasn't been this infuriating since the Riley Cooper thing when half the calls were white dudes who seriously thought it was a social injustice that only black people can use the n word.

I listen to TBD in the Morning since my nearest station made the switch to CBS in January 2013.  The best shows are when Tierney is gone.  Tiki and Dana have a good rappaport and they play off each other really well.  Tierney's a jackhole who, even when he says something I agree with, expresses himself in a such a condescending way.  And his constant mentioning of his dad being a detective for the narcotics unit is getting stale, too.  I suspect Tierney is dumber than a box of rock salt. And he talks over the other two a lot.  Dude is a rude mofo, and uses a fake Andrew Dice Clay ripoff demeanor to pump himself up.  No one cares about his Brooklyn tough-guy persona.  Just sit down already.

As for the bet, I think Tierney is trying to talk Tiki into being Koko B. Ware.

If it's any consolation, CBS Sports Radio is consistently the lowest rated of the five national sports radio networks.  Major changes will be coming to CBS over the next six months as the initial talent contracts run out.

At least CBS Sports Radio got rid of Tim "The Homophobe" Brando and booted him over to satellite (on radio at least).  

That being said, CBS Sports Radio is still a collection of has-beens and castoffs that need to be put out to pasture. Scott Ferrall is easily the worst of the lot.  He openly attacks his own callers and spends most of his show talking about how he and his producer "Mafia" get drunk and party in Vegas all the time.  He has completely lost his "fast ball" and is a shell of what he was 20 years ago.

What the fuck partying in Vegas has to do with the 49ers or Patriots, I have no idea.

The MoJo Show is pretty bad too, because they tend to waste entire segments screaming about whatever gibberish enters their heads. They're OK when they're on track.  But when they go off track?  Watch out.

Actually, CBS' weekend lineup smokes their weekday schedule.  I like Moose & Maggie on Saturday mornings.

• 3 weeks later...