DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-22-13

MGFanJay

I wonder how all the people who constantly shit on WWE and put over alternatives feel about WWE having the best in-ring WRESTLING going today?

Whoa, slow down there buddy. Two wrestlers(Punk, and Bryan) does not make a company the best. There's still a little Japanese company called New Japan (that Jae ignores for some reason when March Madness rolls around) that some argue is the best.

I've watched a lot of NJPW since Wrestle Kingdom VI so say the last year and a half and it's been good. Even very good. However, I feel NJPW is a little top heavy. I like the Okada, Suzuki, Tanahashi, Sakuraba, Goto, Devitt group (though I feel a couple of them are severely overrated at others boards) and I've become a fan of Shibata in recent months. Nakamura is a guy I like but every time he botches a big spot it takes me out of it. He's very sloppy at times. Makabe is hit or miss with me. I don't love the tag division right now. Killer Elite Squad is improved but by comparison any combination of The Shield smokes them.

I cannot stand the NJPW undercard. I understand why it is the way it is but I just can't get into it at all.

I think WWE top to bottom has the most talent maybe in the entire world. I have not seen a lot of Lucha so I would leave that for someone else to decide. WWE to me... at least in the states has the best roster of in-ring talent in my view. I keep up with most of the indies and I don't see a roster that comes close.

New Japan (that Jae ignores for some reason when March Madness rolls around) that some argue is the best.

Man it's too early for this shit. Come back with this around December.

• Like 1

New Japan (that Jae ignores for some reason when March Madness rolls around) that some argue is the best.

Man it's too early for this shit. Come back with this around December.

Huh.  I just assumed you spent the months between each March preparing by going through the same process Undertaker went through in between HHH/Mania matches, locked in a room scrapbooking the faces of those who have wronged you and making dolls out of your own hair.

I know everything is (justifiably) talking about Cesaro-Bryan, but I thought Ryback-Bryan was particularly solid, too.  Ryback should either be monster face or bullying heel and he played the latter perfectly, lipping off Bryan, throwing him around by his hair/beard, then when he was in genuine danger, finds a way out.  I thought Ryback looked awesome.

I liked Sheamus/Del Rio too. The bruises were worked nicely into the story of the match. Like say when circumstances would swing in Ric Flairs favor (think the Clash match w/ Bobby Eaton) and all he had to do was take advantage of the injury. It tastes like shit to the babyface because they lost to the truth.

I know everything is (justifiably) talking about Cesaro-Bryan, but I thought Ryback-Bryan was particularly solid, too.  Ryback should either be monster face or bullying heel and he played the latter perfectly, lipping off Bryan, throwing him around by his hair/beard, then when he was in genuine danger, finds a way out.  I thought Ryback looked awesome.

I refuse to judge a wrestler's ability based on how they look when wrestling against Daniel Bryan.

• Like 1

I refuse to judge a wrestler's ability based on how they look when wrestling against Daniel Bryan.

Unless it's CM Punk...then he'd just look unbelievable and not credible, like he does against everyone else.

Maybe I missed it, but did they explain why exactly A-Ry was with Brad Maddox?

Nope. He just was there. I'm willing to bet some producer was walking around the halls and said "YOU...YEAH, YOU COME HERE". It was either that or they drew his name out of a hat.

Maybe they felt bad that they falsely advertised the Big Show so they gave the Universe a dose of A-Ry to make up for it. 

They should do an angle where Maddox demands Riley gives him his music.

Any on-air role on Raw for him would be a step up from Superstars announcer.

At any rate, it beats his last job as guy-backstage-who gets beat up by random angry wrestler! Good for him.

NJPW is overrated.  CMLL is better than the WWE.  This is my declarative statement post of the day

I'd disagree. For every good CMLL match you get, you get atleast 10 not so good ones.

I would rather watch bad CMLL then Kofi Kingston.  If you count NXT as WWE I actually could probably be convinced WWE was better this year.  Without it I'll take CMLL

The entirety of the gauntlet match was fantastic, even the parts with Swagger and Ryback.  One thing that I overlooked the first time was how good a second Cesaro was for Swagger.  The best part was toward the end of the Swagger match.  Right before Bryan grabs the arm to hook the Yes! Lock, Cesaro starts arguing with a fan, and pulls Zeb over to argue with the fan -- and because they were distracted, they missed Swagger tapping out.  Genius stuff to explain why they didn't try to run in and cheat.  Too often in the WWE (primarily with diva seconds) they just watch their man get beat, and it's just kind of sad. 

Good on Cesaro and Bryan for that epic match. 

Yeah, I loved that moment, because the camera guy framed it up so you could see Cesaro while DBry had the hold locked in. Just before Swagger taps someone tells Cesaro what's going on and he makes this fantastic wide eyed OH SHIT face. I thought Swagger was pretty good in his bit, but part of me thinks that it would have been better if he dropped his taunt and just stuck with trolling UT fans. He started to do it realy quickly outside the ring and he got way more heat than the WE THE PEOPLE bit. Sometimes you just gotta go with what works.

Ryback dominating DBry was good, not as smothering as he was on Jericho at the PPV, but it was different circumstances. DBry was done so he was just enjoying his meal. I love that when they started the "You can't wrestle" chant he didn't ignore it, he asked for them to make it louder. Playing to the audience is always more fun to watch than just playing to the camera, and I think one of Ryback's strengths is that he seems to always be listening to what the crowds doing and trying to figure out how to use it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but hey at least he's trying.

• Like 1

The entirety of the gauntlet match was fantastic, even the parts with Swagger and Ryback.  One thing that I overlooked the first time was how good a second Cesaro was for Swagger.  The best part was toward the end of the Swagger match.  Right before Bryan grabs the arm to hook the Yes! Lock, Cesaro starts arguing with a fan, and pulls Zeb over to argue with the fan -- and because they were distracted, they missed Swagger tapping out.  Genius stuff to explain why they didn't try to run in and cheat.  Too often in the WWE (primarily with diva seconds) they just watch their man get beat, and it's just kind of sad.

Afterwards, Cesaro turned around and started yelling at the fan again, presumably blaming him for the loss.

Bryan vs. Cesaro was a great match. I like the story of Cesaro's use of the European uppercut. That move has allowed Cesaro to control Bryan at several points in the match. The finish was great as it showed that Cesaro was too dependent of the European uppercut which allowed Daniel Bryan to counter Swiss death into a small package for the win.

I'd disagree. For every good CMLL match you get, you get atleast 10 not so good ones.

I personally can't stand Lucha. It's nothing but blown spots, referees counting in slow motion & annoying people in the crowd blowing loud ass horns & shit. I've tried to get into it before, several times. I've watched matches that were supposed to be "classics" or high caliber matches recommended to me. It just bored the hell out of me. I can't do it. The best part was the ring girls. Not my cup of tea at all. It's pretty much everything that I dislike about wrestling, actually. I can't suspend my disbelief watching Lucha.

Meanwhile, the second half of each NJPW iPPV card for the last two years or so has been pretty damn money. Tanahashi, Okada, Goto, Suzuki, Naito, Makabe, Naito & Shibata all impress me. Nakamura is hit or miss but sometimes he impresses me too. I would say that biggest thing that irks me about NJPW is all the trading of stiff shots. I hate those exchanges where they just exchange forearms or chops or kicks back-and-forth for five minutes. And it seems like every match has that in it anymore.