DVDVR Message Board

GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING~! (The Jarrett Thread)

RIPPA

So what's going on with this Steiner love? He's good on the stick,but do people really want to see him wrestle? He's a broken down old man.

Scott, even broken down, is fun to watch. I think he'd be just fine as a Kane level or Bob Holly level guy gate keeper. Scott cutting promos and having brawls with lead pipes is pretty much 10 minutes of show that will deliver.

So Aerostar 8 minute Spotfest, 2 minute Steiner Promo, 10 minute Steiner Concession Stand Brawl. 10 minute Foley Segment. Throw in a weekly Jeff Jarrett MMA seminar, and Harry Smith tooling guys with tiger suplexes and this becomes the best show on television.

Why not just put Steiner on color?

Steiner should have a talk show.  The Steiner Recliner Challenge.  He will ask the guest questions.  If he likes your answers he lets you sit in his EZ Chair for the rest of the show surrounded by his freaks.  If he doesn't like your answer he beats your ass with a lead pipe and locks you in the Steiner Recliner for the rest of the show.  They can keep cutting back to Scotty verbally abusing his victims while they are all locked up.  

• Like 3

Shit, that stanley guy signed off on my list. I need to go rethink my priorities in life. Tell myself tales from when Roman Reigns was my lab partner and our "covalent bond" of friendship....

In all seriousness, it's not that TNA uses guys that WWE let go. They'd be insane not to bring those guys in. They're recognizable names and have some semblance of TV value. It's the refusal to use ex-WWE guys to build their own stars...

When were the last crazy Steiner brawls and promos? 

The Steiner Recliner always looked crappy because the victim usually looked like he was on his knees with Steiner giving him a rear chinlock.  It was the laziest finisher in wrestling.  He was either extremely lazy/injured/didn't know what the camel clutch really looked like.  It looked like Steiner didn't want to crouch into position.  I think it was Chase Tatum who took one of his arms out of the hold - tapped the mat - then put it back behind him.  The move had no leverage except for Steiner pulling backwards on the jobber's head...again with no leverage.

I'm not exactly enjoying Rusev's push but at least his camel clutch is done the proper "Iron Shiek" way - please no jokes.  Rusev's opponents are usually flat against the canvas before he steps into the hold and locks the jobber's arms behind his knees.  El Hijo Del Santo probably has the best version of the move.

How about that Revolution Pro promotion all the kids were clamoring for a few years ago?  The hip buzz had posters dreaming of Vader vs. Sid.  They were the ironic cool 50 year olds back then.  Jarrett's promotion will need to have a lot of ex-WWE guys.  Those are guys with experience.  An entirely new roster would only work with a completely "new" style of promotion.  Konnan claims AAA's American adventures will be just that...maybe. 

The Recliner is basically the Liontamer version of the camel clutch. It depended on the guy taking it and his flexibility. I was a high angle camel clutch. When he first debuted it, I thought it looked great. Later on or when he was doing it to multiple guys, less so. 

Even though I don't remember a lot of great looking Steiner Recliners, the one Russev does is even worse.

No argument there.  Plus what is the name supposed to even mean?

Um, nothing?  I always figured they picked a word that rhymed with Steiner and was easy to remember (by Big Poppa Pump and the audience).

Even though I don't remember a lot of great looking Steiner Recliners, the one Russev does is even worse.

Um, nothing?  I always figured they picked a word that rhymed with Steiner and was easy to remember (by Big Poppa Pump and the audience).

I think he means the Accolade.

• Like 1

Every time someone taps out to it, I can imagine Matt Stryker yelling something dumb like "ACHIEVEMENT....UNLOCKED."

I hope Jarrett doesn't use Stryker as a color commentator.

• Like 1

I think he means the Accolade.

Sorry.  My Mistake.

I was a Big Poppa Pump fan back in the day and still think he and Booker T's singles push are my favorite things from late WCW, but, yeah, the Steiner Recliner looked terrible for the reasons mentioned above.  Looking at footage of the Steiner Recliner, I'm reminded of that picture of TNA-era Sting applying the Scorpion Deathlock and basically standing up while he has it "locked in".

Rusev's version of the camel clutch isn't my favorite, but I don't consider it horrible.

While we're on the topic, why did Steiner even have a submission finisher?  Dude learned one submission hold in his entire career and it became his finisher.    Is there some unwritten rule in WCW that non-submission wrestlers (Luger, Sting, Steiner) had to have a submission finisher?

Every time someone taps out to it, I can imagine Matt Stryker yelling something dumb like "ACHIEVEMENT....UNLOCKED."

I hope Jarrett doesn't use Stryker as a color commentator.

After watching the Best of MSG DVD, I'd say Stryker would be best utilized as the host of a television special introducing the audience to the product or if GFW decides to be cool and does an modified control center update. Him being on TV 90 seconds at a time just to set up the next match or get people up to speed on current storylines or whatever anything else is too much.

I feel like Jarrett would have better success with an all-women's organization a la GLOW.  

There's plenty of talented women they could poach from Shimmer, OVW and the other indies.  Ms. Chif, Serena Deeb, Cheerleader Melissa and Awesome Kong are all free-agents who could serve as faces of an organization.  

They wouldn't be direct competition for WWE so there's not the stigma of being a WWE wannabe which is always the reaction I hear when I've shown  my non-wrestling fan friends TNA.  

Jarrett has to know the biggest success he had with TNA was the Knockouts.  They consistently scored the highest ratings (which isn't saying too much when TNA maxes out at a 1.2) and were at one time a focal point of the shows.

The real struggle would be Jarrett finding someone who could book them in a decent way and not just recreate TNA but with Women.

• Like 1