DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

WWE can still do Sting/Taker if they're so inclined and Taker is willing and able. If they were to do it now that the Streak has ended all the pressure should be off, the pressure for the last 5+ years to deliver the match of the night has been getting pretty ridiculous. If all involved were to go that way it would just be a nostalgic dream match with no expectations for it being a MOTYC and it could have a fun build up; the build for Taker's matches at Mania have been mostly shitty since the Streak started being made into a big deal.

Now that being said, I doubt this is how it goes and Sting probably ends up in Jarrett's new promotion to waste away what he has left but this is really the only dream match I have left and it's something I've wanted to see since I was 7 so please allow me to dream.

• Like 1

Brock also killed Hulkamania on a SD! and pinned The Rock clean at a SummerSlam. Really, he's not to be fucked with....

Really, other than his comeback loss to John Cena, in which he still beat the holy hell out of Cena, Brock has looked like Godzilla most of the time.

Brock beating Taker just makes Brock losing to HHH last year that much more of a facepalmer.

You mean the feud where Brock broke HHH's arm twice and defeated him in two of their three matches? Come on..

Brock also killed Hulkamania on a SD! and pinned The Rock clean at a SummerSlam. Really, he's not to be fucked with....

Really, other than his comeback loss to John Cena, in which he still beat the holy hell out of Cena, Brock has looked like Godzilla most of the time.

Brock beating Taker just makes Brock losing to HHH last year that much more of a facepalmer.

He did lose to him at Wrestlemania but he beat him two times other than that, broke him arm & mangled his best friend. I think Brock came out of that looking OK. Triple H is a 13-time champion & played up as a huge deal on TV, so him winning one of the three matches isn't THAT big of a deal (even if it was Wrestlemania). I think losing to Cena was worse cause it was his first match back.

I also got some pretty cool screengrabs from the live show off the Network:

GJuuxUy.jpg

OqtDkOO.jpg

ds3BoC4.jpg

You mean the feud where Brock broke HHH's arm twice and defeated him in two of their three matches? Come on..

Yup. Still bad. But it's a retrospect thing. I'm sure if they had known they would be directly passing the mantle of "guy who wrestles big spectacle matches at WM" from Taker to Brock this year, they likely would have booked it differently.

But that's how it goes. Sometimes you luck out and book Taker to beat Giant Gonzalez by DQ and it pays off 20 years later. Other times, you goof and blow Edge's streak in a gimmick match that he gets knocked out of halfway through, or job out your new yearly WM draw at WM.

Also, lost in everything else in the triple threat, Bryan capped off his ownage of HHH by diving on him, his wife, and his stooge ref at the same time, then hitting him in the face with a sledge hammer. Regardless of how the last 8 months went, they put Bryan over 100% right tonight.

Also, lost in everything else in the triple threat, Bryan capped off his ownage of HHH by diving on him, his wife, and his stooge ref at the same time, then hitting him in the face with a sledge hammer. Regardless of how the last 8 months went, they put Bryan over 100% right tonight.

Very true. Cena, Batista, Benoit and now Bryan. Say what you want about Hunter but he has no problem losing clean in the middle of a WM ring.

Nothing concrete, but I've seen a few reports that Undertaker was taken to the hospital after the match. Hacksaw Jim Duggan seems to be the only semi-credible source so far, with a tweet stating "Taker may b hurt!!!!   hope not." But there are some on Reddit, who are in town, claiming a lot of crazy things.

• Like 1

I got to see the guy that I first saw in 2003 in Philadelphia's Murphy Rec Center win the title in the main event at WrestleMania.

I got to see Brock Lesnar break The Streak.

I got to see Claudio Castagnoli's WWE breakout moment.

I got to see The Shield squash the New Age Outlaws.

I got to see Mark Crozer & The Rels play Bray Wyatt to the ring.

All for $9.99. What a fucking deal!*

*with a six month commitment off the top.

So essentially the PPV was still the same cost as a buy in. The deals start with Extreme Rules of all things.

• Like 1

Making the call to not play Lesnar's music immediately to let the moment sink in = one of the most brilliant production moves in WWE history.

And I thought Cena/Wyatt was fine...just that Wrestlemania was the wrong place to do the more "storyline"-driven match.

Also, really hoping Randy Orton didn't suffer some sort of "Shawn Michaels breaks his back on the casket" injury when the small of his back crashed right on the monitor during the RKO. Inadvertently, that may have been the bump of the night

• Like 1

What's with all this complaining of Brock/Taker being bad? Doesn't anyone remember their ... HITC ... match from way back when? They were the drizzling shits.

Clearly *you* don't remember that one.
Takers bloodz does not equate with me getting my $50 worth.
You not getting your money'z does not a bad match equal, either.
No, it does. To be fair I only watched it that one time, but I distinctively remember saying "wow that's a lot of blood, but this match still fucking sucks." I have no in depth analysis to provide beyond that.

So you admit your opinion is in fact an ill-informed one? "I didn't care for it that one time I saw it ever, so it sucks." That's quite a radical change of pace, someone taking a bold divisive position against something quite largely regarded positively. I don't think I've ever seen such in all the history of the internet.

• Like 1

Some fans are convincing themselves that the finish to Taker/Lesnar was a botched shoot.  The 21-1 video was just WWE having a back-up just in case something went wrong.  

Yeah, there were some people in our room that thought the ref botched the three count since the bell didn't ring and music wasn't playing. I figured the 21-1 graphic popping up was the tipoff that this was indeed happening as "part of the planned entertainment,"

What's with all this complaining of Brock/Taker being bad? Doesn't anyone remember their ... HITC ... match from way back when? They were the drizzling shits.

Clearly *you* don't remember that one.
Takers bloodz does not equate with me getting my $50 worth.
You not getting your money'z does not a bad match equal, either.
No, it does. To be fair I only watched it that one time, but I distinctively remember saying "wow that's a lot of blood, but this match still fucking sucks." I have no in depth analysis to provide beyond that.
So you admit your opinion is in fact an ill-informed one? "I didn't care for it that one time I saw it ever, so it sucks." That's quite a radical change of pace, someone taking a bold divisive position against something quite largely regarded positively. I don't think I've ever seen such in all the history of the internet.

I am a trendsetter. I'll like this tomorrow when I get them back.

Taker losing was a legit shock and I'm glad they pulled the trigger on it. If Taker would have beat Lesnar then WWE would have had only 1 Mania moment (depending on how you feel about Cesaro's awesome strength) with Bryan. Good move and people will always remember Mania as Taker's last stand. One thing I HATED was the forced clapping by the commentary team. The standing ovation just seemed so overly planning.

I'm out of touch. From an interest level and just an overall entertainment level, it doesn't come in the top half of Wrestlemania's. Taker losing the streak was a total TNA move.

As a guy who has watched TNA for the last 12 years, I can tell you its not a TNA move. TNA would have been sure to bury Taker (no pun) way before he could even reach 2-0 at Mania. Taker losing was a legit shock and I'm glad they pulled the trigger on it. If Taker would have beat Lesnar then WWE would have had only 1 Mania moment (depending on how you feel about Cesaro's awesome strength) with Bryan. Good move and people will always remember Mania as Taker's last stand.

If this was TNA, Brock would have still won but his contract would have expired a week ago.

• Like 9

Probably in the middle as far as Manias go. Cena/Wyatt was decent, as was HHH/Bryan. Taker/Lesnar was pretty mediocre. Main Event was the match of the night. Everything else was filler. For a four match show, three of the matches dissappointed. I don't see how anyone calls this a top three Mania. Bryan winning was the only thing that could happen. The streak is over. The show gave you those two moments. Other than that, not much to get excited about.