DVDVR Message Board

Ruthless Aggression Era

Thomas Bugg

Up until last year I'd say the Smackdown 6 era was the peak of WWE in ring quality. So what '01 is still the attitude era? The Benoit vs Austin matches that year were fucking awesome.

I would put WrestleMania 17 as the end of the Attitude Era. Austin's heel turn and Rock's departure from full time wrestling really did mark the end of an era. I'm not sure when the Ruthless Aggression begins and ends though. 

I'd like opinions of this, but I think Summerslam 2002 was the PPV that defined or at least kicked off the Ruthless Aggression Era, and it's certainly one of the best PPV's of the modern era. Angle and Rey had an outstanding technical wrestling opener, Flair and Jericho had a great brawl that showed that Flair around that time could still hang with the young'ns, RVD defeated Benoit in another great match to win the Intercontinental title, The Un-Americans taking on Booker T & Goldust, Shawn Michaels and HHH having a bloody and emotional street fight that reminded me a lot of the old NWA bunkhouse matches, and Brock Lesnar defeating the Rock for the WWE title. 

I haven't watched a lot of this era, so I'm checking out Summerslam now. Angle/Rey is amazing. I've never wanted something more than I want 2002 Angle vs Cesaro.  

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This match is so, so good. I completely understand the Rey love now.

Up until last year I'd say the Smackdown 6 era was the peak of WWE in ring quality. So what '01 is still the attitude era? The Benoit vs Austin matches that year were fucking awesome.

I would put WrestleMania 17 as the end of the Attitude Era. Austin's heel turn and Rock's departure from full time wrestling really did mark the end of an era. I'm not sure when the Ruthless Aggression begins and ends though. 

That's because the rise of defining talent of the mid-2000s is very spread out. Brock Lesnar came in and went straight to the top, and stayed there til he left in 04. Orton was coming along nicely, but got pushed too hard in 2004 and regressed. He didn't cement himself as a top guy until 2007 really. Cena and Batista got steady pushes with defining wins at WM 21 (2005). Batista was the man on SD for a while until Edge settled in there, and Cena was still second tier until he beat HHH at WM 22 (2006). 

Meanwhile you had HHH still going strong as the unquestioned ace in WWE until the aforementioned Cena match at Mania. That's why I'm saying you can't really define that time frame by talent. The biggest defining characteristic of that era was the established HHH running things on Raw, while the next gen cut their teeth on SD. That time period is all about the dichotomy of the brand split because the defining guys weren't all the main focus until 2006 at the earliest.

When I think "Ruthless Aggression Era" I think

-Smackdown! 6

-Brock Lesnar's rise and departure

-The history of WWE being acknowledged

-Comebacks like Hogan and HBK

-Influx of Ex-WCW stars (Flair, Goldberg, Steiner)

-John Cena, Randy Orton and Batista become the new company aces

-The "lost generation" of guys like Masters and Carlito

The PG Era begins sometime in 2008. It's quite noticeable how different the direction changes content wise. For a while it was a little too kid friendly and then they found their way of being able to tell adult story lines without swearing, blood, shots to the head and half naked women.

The Reality Era begins with The Network? But more specifically Daniel Bryan, The Shield, Cesaro and The Wyatts etc. having great matches every week. So I'd say late-2012.

The Reality Era begins with The Network? But more specifically Daniel Bryan, The Shield, Cesaro and The Wyatts etc. having great matches every week. So I'd say late-2012.

I hesitate to give him this much reverence, but does Reality start with the pipebomb promo?

I kinda hate the term "Reality Era" because it's really just a new style of worked storytelling, but I'm sure that's what will catch on (thanks HHH). I guess no one wants to run with "Indy era" even though the majority of the big stars came from high profile indies, and the major unspoken themes are respect and guys getting pushed regardless of their look because they have good matches. 

Either way, yes, it does start with the pipe bomb.

This was a weird era. I was in college and my wrestling fandom had waned somewhat, but I mostly remember this era trying out a lot of embarrassing shit: 

- Katie Vick

- HLA

- Triple H's racist WrestleMania angle with Booker T

- Kane's unmasking and subsequent insanity, like strapping Shane's balls to a car battery 

- Heidenrich the rapist 

- Snitsky the baby killer 

- Various hosses showing up, injuring people then disappearing 

- Attempts at jingoism: the UnAmericans, La Resistance, Chris Nowinski debating Steiner, Mohammed Hussan 

But I credit my distaste with WWE in this era for my discovering independent wrestling. When I wasn't studying/working/partying/trying to hook up, I still had a wrestling itch to be scratched. The wonderful world of file sharing exposed me to Ring of Honor around 2003. 

I stopped watching WWE in late 03 mainly due to lack of interest and just concentrating on following the indies.  From early 2004 to sometime in 2010 I also didn't have cable so that kept me from following WWE that closely even if I wanted to.  When Smackdown was on UPN I would sometimes put it on as background noise but rarely paid attention and didn't bother downloading any PPVs/Raws unless there was something that really stood out there.  I'm pretty sure the pipebomb episode was when I started following WWE regularly again.  This thread and other conversations about the WWE from that time span make me realize I remember next to nothing about it and probably haven't seen much of anything from there.  Oddly enough, I posted here and on other wrestling boards for pretty much the whole time.

What are the essential shows/matches that you all would say define that era?  There has been some mention in the thread so far but is there a more comprehensive list of recommendations?

2006-2008 Smackdown was the BOMB

Basically from around JBL's "retirement" and shift to commentary to Edge's La Familia run

HIGHLIGHTS of the top of my head:

-The King of this era was Dave Finlay. I loved his video promos before his debut: "My name is Finlay and I love to fight" and my personal favourite "My name is Finlay and I'm a FIGHTING IRISH BARSTAD!". And of course his in-ring style added a ferocity that was unseen within WWE's roster. His first match had him smash the hell out of Matt Hardy, tie him up in the apron and ropes and stomp his head in the steel steps. Talk about Cesaro's European uppercuts, Finlay's were absolutely brutal and something Cesaro should aspire to. Here's the 7 minute slobberknocking debut:

I can't remember if he smacked him up with his shillelagh as well but that was a well-protected finish. I especially enjoyed seeing him paste Bobby Lashley with that thing. Also I believe this was the only time Hornswoggle has been tolerable too, going by the moniker "LITTLE BASTARD"

One of my most favourite matches was Finlay vs Regal at some PPV that was pure british chain wrestling that ended up getting soundly booed by pretty much the whole arena. This forced JBL to come out and cut a promo on the audience the following Smackdown.

-King Booker's Court. Booker T transforming to King BOOKAH! after winning the King of the Ring tournament, commissioning Sir Finlay as his personal goon, as well as Sir William Regal, who I believe began life as his Town Crier. This began a series of inspired promos in a pseudo-English accent that would drop at a moment's notice. His crowning achievement was beating both the ECW and WWE Champions to become the undisputed "CHOMPION OF CHOMPIONS". Well, that or forcing Bobby Lashley and John Cena to kiss his royal feet.

The King meets Cryme Time:

-MVP getting slaughtered by everybody. Loved JBL tearing him a new one on commentary week after week until he "bought him dinner" at a restaurant. My fondest memories are his inferno match with Kane and his street fight vs Kane on a UK edition of Smackdown, where Kane smashed him in the face with a telephone box and tipped him over while he was still in it.

-Rey: he caught a lot of flak for his Eddie memorial run, but he never failed to bring the goods in ring. Memorable feuds include the King's Court, Chavo and of course my favourite Finlay who smacked him around like a pinball

-Mark Henry. This is where he first began his hall-of-pain-worthy rampage, absolutely decimating Benoit and Kurt Angle, I believe splashing the latter through the announcer's table that ended up cracking Angle's ribs. Iirc he also had a great moment where he had to legitimately rip the cage door open after the ring crew failed to gimmick a steel cage. Great strongman feat there.

-Undertaker. Memorable feuds with Mr Kennedy and of course the Great Khali. This brought about the debut of the infamous Punjabi Prison match which would have been about a 100 times worse if JBL wasn't such a don of a commentator. I think there was a run as the Brothers of Destruction too vs a team of MVP and Kennedy which was a load of fun

-JBL being a revelation as an announcer. Told great stories, called the action and put everyone (including himself) over. Loved his riffing on Matt Hardy as the guy with all the tools but can't get over his cheating girlfriend, Lashley with his million dollar body and nickel brain, fawning over King Booker and Queen Sharmell (falling over himself to kiss the former's ring) etc etc etc. A real highlight every week and overall stand out performer of this period.

-The absurdity of the Boogeyman, and his mini-me vs the Little Bastard.

-Paul London and Brian Kendrick bringing absolute pinball lunacy everyt ime they stepped between the ropes

-Honourable mention Vince McMahon's doorag during his ECW championship reign. Not only was he extremely entertaining but I loved going on the internet forums and reading about how he was shitting on ECW's legacy "WHAT UP GEE"

• Like 1

Who's the biggest underachiever of the Ruthless Aggression Era?  Carlito, Benjamin, MVP, Kennedy, Matt Hardy?  The era definitely is littered with guys who should have taken the next step but never did.

I would throw Bobby Lashley in that list too, he was given every chance and high profile spots such as the McMahon/Trump feud, a run as ECW's top man etc etc, Loved his 3 ways with Finlay and Regal. Couldn't cut a promo to save his life though

I never got the love or even the backing of Carlito as any sort of player for the future. He was never impressive in-ring and his promos while delivered well were uninspired twaddle. The opposite for Shelton Benjamin who delivered well in action but couldn't talk at all. His "mother" was a fantastic addition tho

Kennedy was really charismatic and I enjoyed his reckless ring-work too, though it was apparently a bit too dangerous for some of his colleagues which is why I believe he was cut short too.

MVP was an enjoyable character, everything from his entrance to his costume individualised him and once JBL got on board and started pulling for him on commentary there was a noticeable shift in his in-ring performance. I think the Kane feud really helped him to develop his in ring skill and he is definitely a contender for this title, as is...

Matt Hardy. There was the mid-06 to 07 period where he put on consistently good matches, sold like a champ and was just a solid hand in ring. Maybe JBL's words had a ring of truth to it and just couldn't get over his victim complex re Lita and Edge

Matt Hardy overachieved if anything. No one expected him to be a top 3 WWE wrestler for nearly 4 years. His heel run bombed much later after he established himself as a good hand, but he was on the path to nowhere since 2002 before Edge hooking up with Lita revived his career.

MVP was the most disappointing of the lot, I think. He had everything you could want for a superstar, but they started booking him like shit for no apparent reason in 2007. Carlito was lazy and didn't give a shit, Benjamin had no charisma and was prone to botching, Kennedy (and Morrison) were just never as good as WWE wanted them to be. MVP was the only one of those guys that had any business near the main event scene.

I wouldn't call Shelton disappointing because when you can run up a ladder that is laying on the top rope and do a dive perfectly yet fuck up an Irish whip or snapmare then you're ceiling is only so high. I'd agree that Lashley deserves to be high up on the list though.

Matt Hardy wasn't really groomed to be anything. He was to the Ruthless Aggression Era as Christian has been to the PG Era. I'd say both of them overachieved especially Christian because there was a time where some felt he should be a main eventer.

Carlito was a big time underachiever. He might have been a tad small for what they were looking for at the time but man..  his natural charisma is off the charts excellent and that's no hyperbole. In-ring he was okay, perfectly acceptable.

I think another important thing to note about this era is how screwed WWE got when Lesnar bailed. It worked out great for Brock (and Cena), but WWE really had a lot invested in him. If he stayed, that whole time period is a lot more stable at the top and there is no doubt in my mind that had Lesnar stayed, he would be be considered unquestionably one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. He already has a résumé that puts most of the roster to shame and he only has what? A little over 2 years worth of shows under his belt? There are a lot of interesting what if scenarios for Brock sticking around.

This was a weird era. I was in college and my wrestling fandom had waned somewhat, but I mostly remember this era trying out a lot of embarrassing shit: 

- Katie Vick

- HLA

- Triple H's racist WrestleMania angle with Booker T

- Kane's unmasking and subsequent insanity, like strapping Shane's balls to a car battery 

- Heidenrich the rapist 

- Snitsky the baby killer 

- Various hosses showing up, injuring people then disappearing 

- Attempts at jingoism: the UnAmericans, La Resistance, Chris Nowinski debating Steiner, Mohammed Hussan 

But I credit my distaste with WWE in this era for my discovering independent wrestling. When I wasn't studying/working/partying/trying to hook up, I still had a wrestling itch to be scratched. The wonderful world of file sharing exposed me to Ring of Honor around 2003. 

It wasn't his fault!

• Like 3

I think the Ruthless Aggression Era (or whatever you want to call the post-Attitude WWF/E time period) looks better with hindsight. I think it got killed mostly because it was coming off the heels of the late 90's wrestling boom. It's kinda like being the guy to replace The Guy. Unless you're clearly and distinctly better, you're gonna have a bad time.

That's not to say 2002/2003 WWF/E was amazing, because it wasn't. But it's definitely better than its general perception. There was a lot of good ring work that took place. TV matches started getting longer, which was a nice change of pace from the constant sub-4 minute matches that became common place in 1999. It's hard to replace guys of the caliber of Austin and Rock (and to a degree, Foley) and not see a drop off in talent, and that certainly hurt things, but I think once (if?) those episodes of Raw and Smackdown get uploaded to The Network, a lot of folks are going to re-watch them and look at the time period in a more positive light.

Personally, I hated the period. But I turned 15 in 2002 and was pretty much the worst kind of internet wrestling fan you could imagine. I got into ROH right at the end of 2003/beginning of 2004 and loved the hell out of all the indy spotfests. WWE was the worst thing ever to me. It also hurt that a lot of my friends in school that were wrestling fans, started turning away by the end of 2002. Now that I'm older and have perspective (and don't get so personally invested in wrestling... and have the ability to better compartmentalize the good stuff from the bad), I think I'd enjoy 2002-2006 (or whenever that period ended), far more now than I did during the moment.

As time went on I came to realize that The Rock and Austin covered up a ton of shit story lines and that's the main difference between the two eras and their perception. In the Attitude Era you have these larger than life stars in their prime, good story lines at the top and crowds that gave a crap.

After Rock and Austin left the crowds died down considerably. I think Lesnar was on his way to becoming that type of star because he had already gotten way over at places like MSG but then he left. Cena got way over and then they toned his character way down. He's still been super over just not with the crowd that was so into Rock and Austin.

When you look back at the two eras, The Attitude Era is more entertaining as far as story lines and the main event scene but the Ruthless Aggression Era has the far better wrestling... I think people are starting to appreciate wrestling more now than ever so maybe we'll see a change down the line where the Ruthless Aggression era is remembered more fondly.

It's certainly better than '95-'96 WWF and I would say it's also better than most of the PG era up until 2013.

I think another important thing to note about this era is how screwed WWE got when Lesnar bailed. It worked out great for Brock (and Cena), but WWE really had a lot invested in him. If he stayed, that whole time period is a lot more stable at the top and there is no doubt in my mind that had Lesnar stayed, he would be be considered unquestionably one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. He already has a résumé that puts most of the roster to shame and he only has what? A little over 2 years worth of shows under his belt? There are a lot of interesting what if scenarios for Brock sticking around.

I remember Big Show being one of the most pissed about Brock leaving as he was due for some time off. He mentioned how he was popping vicodin like M&Ms just to get through the Big Show/Brock series that would send Big Show off into the sunset. Brock leaves and things go to shit. Not only was Big Show suppose to take some time off around that time, but so were Taker (IIRC) and Mysterio. Where there any other wrestlers, at the time, directly impacted by Brock leaving? I'm not talking about money wise, but as far as time off, planned angles, etc.

I would love to see in a couple of years (Kurt Angle WWE HOF induction) WWE begin to play up this time period. We hear it all the time about Austin/Rock/DX/Sable/Foley being the leaders of the Attitude era, but the kids who will be my age now, and who most likely missed Attitude, came into a better awareness during Ruthless Aggression era. I dare say people like Cena/Angle/Mysterio/Lesnar/Edge/Trish mean more to them then Austin/Rock/DX/Sable/Foley as the Attitude crew were sold as legends while the Ruthless Aggression crew was in the process of creating their legend.

Where there any other wrestlers, at the time, directly impacted by Brock leaving? I'm not talking about money wise, but as far as time off, planned angles, etc.

JBL for sure. No way he's getting a 10-month reign if Brock's there to fall back on.

I actually wonder how much more Brock Lesnar could've done. I remember reading rumors that Lesnar was supposed to be fed to Taker in his first post-WM feud. I think Lesnar would've done well with a switch to RAW in the draft and a feud with Evolution and an eventual heel turn and feud with Chris Benoit. I think Lesnar had pretty much exhausted his opportunities on SmackDown.