DVDVR Message Board

Biogenesis Suspensions Begin...

RIPPA

At the risk of pissing Rippa off, banning A-Rod as if this were his third failed test since the program started would be utter and complete bullshit and indefensible, no matter how much of a dick he is.

It reeks of MLB trying to get the Yankees out from under that absurd contract.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see how the players' union would handle the case, if A-Rod pushed it.  I doubt they'd want to help him, but it would be in their interest to do so to protect their power.  Players screaming to throw him out of the league would have to think about much that could weaking their union, if it comes to that.

MLBPA has already said they would not give aid to any member who gets suspended through this scandal. A-Rod may be able to afford better representation than the PA would give him any way. 

MLBPA has already said they would not give aid to any member who gets suspended through this scandal. A-Rod may be able to afford better representation than the PA would give him any way. 

To be fair - the quote was they wouldn't defend anyone who there was "overwhelming evidence against"

I am pretty sure A-Rod is falling into that category

A-Rod is better than any soap opera on TV.  Million-dollar contracts!  Suspensions! Injuries! Quack doctors! His fellow players turning against him!  They ought to sell the rights to this story and broadcast it in primetime.  It'd be NBC's #1 show after Sunday Night Football.

Holy Gawd is A-Rod and idiot or just have zero luck with docs? ESPN is reporting that MLB is reopening there investigation of A-Rod cause the Doc he saw today for a second opinion for his hip was siteded for not correctly monitoring prosecutions of drugs including steroids

Did A-Rod really hire GENE SNITSKY as personal security or did I dream that?

Seems like just about the most counter-productive person to hire from a PR standpoint in A-Rod's position.

It sounds absurd but after years of disliking him I am finding myself rooting for A-Rod in this situation. I was pissed off when Bonds was blackballed from baseball despite still having a near or above on-base percentage of .500 so I need someone to stick it to them.

• Like 1

Yeah if it's A-Rod vs. Selig I will take A-Rod's side every time and without hesitation or remorse.

Selig is going after A-Rod for all the wrong reasons and trying to carve out a "Judge Landis of the 21st Century" legacy for himself, when

A] he and his deliberate blind eye is responsible for the proliferation of steroids in the first place (he was for them when it was driving revenue and against them only now because it's good PR to be against them)

B] they're just going to try and use A-Rod to establish precedent to divide the union/help his ownership cronies get out of guaranteed contracts they were dumb enough to sign in the first place (not just the Yankees)

C (wholly unrelated) ] his "dealing" with the Oakland Athletics' stadium situation proves unequivicoally that he has Zero Guts and A Negative Number Of Testicles, and thinks the general public are idiots and/or In Kindergarten (admittedly possibly true), because he keeps deferring his SPECIAL MAGIC BLUE RIBBON PANEL that has been "studying" the situation since 2009 and has proven its own existence about as often and as convincingly as Santa Claus.

So here I am, sympathetic to A-Rod for perhaps the first time ever.  How about that.

• Like 2

How about if teams were penalized when their players get caught cheating? 

I suppose the problem is that a $10 million fine would mean little to the Yankees, but would be half of Houston's payroll.  But if the league wants players to stop using PEDs, then it has to hurt the guys who make the decisions on who to draft, who to promote, who to sign.

Right now, the GM's stance seems to be "worst case scenario, we get our money back and buy someone else with it."

They have no incentive to run a clean clubhouse, and young players still have huge incentive to juice.

I suppose they could do like the NCAA and retract wins in which a PED-using player participated, but what would that matter to some cellar dweller?

Teams can always go to the "We didn't know" defense on this.  So fines wouldn't be of much use.  How can they be enforced, really.

Perhaps the best way to dole out punishment is to allow teams to cut players, but the player's salary would go against the team's self-determined cap.  Which is sort of like a fine, but actually hurts more (in my head, anyway).

They have no incentive to run a clean clubhouse, and young players still have huge incentive to juice.

And they never have.  Which is why they never have (reference the greenies era and "two pots of coffee in the clubhouse" era for the thousandth time).

Especially since this is America and thus the rube fans and the rube media members are all too eager to, when scandal breaks, heap all the blame and indignation on the individual players rather than management.  So the owners don't even have to pay the PR price of customer outrage.

Especially since this is America and thus the rube fans and the rube media members are all too eager to, when scandal breaks, heap all the blame and indignation on the individual players rather than management.  So the owners don't even have to pay the PR price of customer outrage

And they shouldn't because they aren't the one's taking PED's.  I don't care it the team makes money off a guy on PED's.  The networks make money off the same guy.  Advertisers and sponsors make money off the same guy.  Everyday fans get enjoyment from watching the guy play and buy their memorabilia.  At the end of the day it's still a guy that decided to roll the dice on his career.  Maybe there's a lot of temptation there because of the possible upside if you don't get caught but they should be well aware of the downside as well.  If you do something wrong the blame shouldn't be pushed onto someone else. 

Is it a matter of justice and ethics or a matter of just getting the job done and cleaning up the sport?

If pure justice matters, then we get into philosophical debates about who is culpable forever. 

But if you just want to clean up the sport once and for all, then put pressure where the decisions are made, in the GMs office.  If that's unfair, then billionaire Joe can sell his precious team and find a more forgiving hobby.

You can clean up the sport if you get the guys who are cheating out of the sport.  Fining a team isn't going to do a damn thing.  

Short-sighted. You can clean up the sport if you make cheating unprofitable for all involved. As long as owners have no skin in the steroids game, they'll continue to make no serious effort to change the doping culture.

• Like 1

You misunderstand. Steroids don't upscale 10000% for MLB owners. There's arguably some marginal profit made from more home runs, but really it's negligible. You wouldn't have to make the fines large enough that owning a team would be unprofitable. Just make them large enough to hurt. Do that, and owners will care more (read: at all) about whether their players are doping.

You misunderstand. Steroids don't upscale 10000% for MLB owners. There's arguably some marginal profit made from more home runs, but really it's negligible. You wouldn't have to make the fines large enough that owning a team would be unprofitable. Just make them large enough to hurt. Do that, and owners will care more (read: at all) about whether their players are doping.

If that's not enough- do like the NFL has been good with for punishing teams that make trouble. Maybe any fine would be a drop in the hat for owners- but using NFL-style punishments like the team loses draft picks and/or money from its foreign draft pool cap would get the message across just as well.

Steroids, and specifically Sosa and McGwire, saved the game of baseball in 1998, and the two of them pretty much by themselves brought baseball's popularity back after the strike, and all this moralizing now is such utter hypocritical bullshit.

• Like 9