DVDVR Message Board

Letterman to Retire in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

They can kill at least a few months doing a hunger games tournament among current and former correspondents.

Send them out to cover stories with the threat of constant tribute-death hanging over them.  Each nights winner gets to host the next day.  Final Winner gets the chair with the ridiculous height adjustment.

The rest are hilariously dead.

I'm feeling a LAFF-A-LYMPICS vibe to this too.

They could actually do a "Best Damn News Team" show, with stuff by all of them. Hire some new people so the others don't spread themselves so thin, and they'll also have a chance to try some new talent out and see how they do. Jessica Williams could come over to my place and do a story about me chasing her around the room while the Benny Hill theme plays.

Plus you could play some classic clips with Colbert and Steve Carell and Rob Coddry, etc.

They could actually do a "Best Damn News Team" show, with stuff by all of them. Hire some new people so the others don't spread themselves so thin, and they'll also have a chance to try some new talent out and see how they do. Jessica Williams could come over to my place and do a story about me chasing her around the room while the Benny Hill theme plays.

Plus you could play some classic clips with Colbert and Steve Carell and Rob Coddry, etc.

...so make The Daily Show an hour? Sounds good to me. Gives Stewart another segment to do the "news", and frees up time for some of the interviews they cut down and put on the web currently.

• 3 weeks later...

It's crazy, but Ferguson's leaving/not having his contract renewed (I'm betting on the latter, no matter what anyone says) makes me sadder than Dave retiring because with Letterman, it was a matter of "when's Dave gonna retire?" You knew it was coming and it wasn't a surprise when it happened.

I guess Ferguson leaving isn't a surprise either, but it makes me sad because what CBS is basically saying to me is "screw you, old man, we're gonna put someone 'hip' here, 'cause we don't like your kind."

It's a youth movement, and I'm not part of this "youth." Ferguson is comfort food to me in this crowd of YouTubey, hashtaggy, Instagrammy, Twittery yayhoos. You don't really have to watch Fallon's show, anything of any worth pops up on social media and you can watch it on YouTube. It's disposable. It's "multimedia," it's pandering.

Basically, I'm pissed that yet another bad SNL cast member has managed to squeeze out something that's truly original and a breath of fresh air. Colbert's gonna be good, but i guarantee you his show will be more like Jimmy Fallon's than David Letterman's. They'll find someone equally as "hip" to replace Ferguson. Late night talk's not a place for a 40-something viewer anymore. 

• Like 1

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the contenders for the Late Late Show are: Joel McHale, Michael Ian Black, Aisha Tyler, Amy Schumer, Jason Jones, and John Hodgman.

I'm hoping for Tyler or Hodgman.

Michael Ian Black is good in VERY small doses. I don't see people warming to him as a host. Jason Jones would be ok. Aisha Tyler is hilarious. The first woman or racial minority to land one of these shows will likely have to battle the aura of being a "token" pick. I think she could handle that.

Joel McHale would crush it but it would mean the death of two of my favorite shows.

Joel McHale could have taken Letterman's show. I understand why they chose Colbert, but Joel would be damn good in that kind of setting. IF community is cancelled(and who the hell knows) he ought to get the Late Show. I';d miss the soup, but what can you do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...