DVDVR Message Board

Letterman to Retire in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I really do think one's perspective on this is basically shaped by your age. If you're in, say, your 20s or 30s, it's "cranky old man of TV finally goes away." If you were a kid watching this madness unfold on his NBC show and following him to CBS, this is a real end of an era.

I was a kid watching on NBC -- and absolutely loved it -- but I'm still saying "cranky old man" etc.  He intentionally toned things down for 11:30, and while I still liked him okay for a few years on CBS, I lost interest.  And I happened to watch some a few months ago and was astounded by how absolutely unfunny it was.  Just terrible.

All I know is since I doubt he's sticking around until Christmas 2015, the KING of must-watch TV for me this year is listening to Jay Thomas tell that Lone Ranger story one more time this Christmas. 

Back on NBC, I remember looking forward every year to Paul's impression of Cher singing "O Holy Night".  Do they still do that?

Yep. His Christmas show is the same every year, pretty much, but that's what makes it so great.

Dave recently still gets a bit weird, but he basically has this "I don't need this shit" vibe that's either great or not-so-great, depending on your perspective. I love it. It makes it even more exciting when he actually likes something, because it seems more genuine.

His NBC show was such an influence on Fallon and Kimmel that he basically drove himself out of business. Fallon admitted Dave was his biggest influence recently, and subbing for Dave when Letterman had the shingles and had a crapload of guest hosts made him want to host a talk show.

He said for some reason, Dave once tagged along with Paul Shaffer, who was making an appearance on Fallon's 12:30 show to plug his book, out of the blue and just stood backstage the whole time and talked about his days hosting the program while Fallon's whole staff was goggle-eyed at the whole thing. During Dave's brief time Tweeting, he'd try to send Fallon Tweets all the time until CBS told him to knock it off.

Friend of mine said on the same show that Fallon talked about Letterman, Bill O'Reilly was one of Fallon's guests and said it was sad to watch Fallon yuck it up with him when O'Reilly's appearances on Letterman's shows were must-watch events. Fallon, to me, is too earnest, like a dog who won't quit begging you to be petted - sometimes you just want the dog to lie in the corner and cut you some slack. "Like me, dammit! Do you like me yet? Why don't you like me yet? Like me, dammit!"

I never got to see Dave on NBC. His peak on CBS was during the Elian Gonzales sage. So absurd and funny. 

My favorite bit on the Late Show does not involve Dave -- it was Alan Kalter's Big Red sexual innuendo skits.

I just figured Jon Stewart was a natural candidate, but he apparently makes REALLY good money hosting "The Daily Show," and they will give him slack if he wants to go away for months to direct a movie or whatever. Besides, it's only 30 minutes.

I've read he gets something like an $8 million payout for not getting "The Late Show," and I knew it wouldn't happen, but I'd still give anything to see Craig Ferguson, Geoff and Secretariat on at 11:30. It boggles my mind how underrated Ferguson's show is, and I thought they could pitch him as some sort of alternative to the Jimmys.  

She'll call for a boycott of CBS until Colbert is dropped. It will be reported on and then 12 hours later, no one will remember who Suey Park is.

As it should be.

• Like 2

This is bittersweet for me as I'm a huge fan of The Colbert Report and have probably seen almost every episode.

Vote Paul F. Tompkins as Colbert's replacement on Comedy Central!

Oh god, yes. Just have him do Speakeasy.

This is bittersweet for me as I'm a huge fan of The Colbert Report and have probably seen almost every episode.

Paul F. Tompkins @PFTompkins 4m

I am simultaneously devastated that the Colbert Report will end & excited beyond repair at what Colbert & team will do with The Late Show.

Paul F. Tompkins @PFTompkins 2m

Now pls tell @ComedyCentral to give me their 11:30 slot. They'll never do it, but it'll make me happy if their feed is flooded with my name.

Let's make this happen!

Paul F. Tompkins @PFTompkins 4m

I am simultaneously devastated that the Colbert Report will end & excited beyond repair at what Colbert & team will do with The Late Show.

Paul F. Tompkins @PFTompkins 2m

Now pls tell @ComedyCentral to give me their 11:30 slot. They'll never do it, but it'll make me happy if their feed is flooded with my name.

Let's make this happen!

Guys, he's too punny.

Andy Daly is RIGHT THERE!

I just now saw Colbert in a 2004 episode of LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENTIt was a D'onofrio, so whew...watchable.

Of course it had to be about weird Catholic mystical shit...of course, like I almost wonder if he requested that specifically.

But the best part is that show is so parlor-mystery and overwrought, that his acting style was essentially the same as when he was Chuck Noblet....exactly the same.

It was amazing.

I can see them just moving up the Chris Hardwick show 30 minutes.

I may be the only one in America who feels this way, but that show and its "#hashtag Facebook Instagram" youthspeak makes me want to punch puppies. Is it a requirement that the comedians on the show have to have a podcast? Does every comedian have a podcast? 

It can have the 11:30, I don't care, I wouldn't watch it no matter what time it comes on.

They should find someone to do a angry-liberal spin on the Colbert idea, but it would be way too compared to Colbert. "Why do you hate Mother Earth's trees?" could be a good leadoff question of anyone with a book out. 

• Like 2

I hate @Midnight, too.  Horrible, horrible show that's basically Tosh for nerds.

Man, Oliver left for HBO too soon.

Kinda disagree.  Oliver was, IMO, as good at Stewart at doing TDS, but would be too similar to him in that Colbert spot. 

My money is on a Bee/Jones show.  Though I'd be fine with just a Sam Bee show, as she seems to be the most similar to Colbert in being a well-rounded entertainer.  You need something still newsy, but more wacky, character-driven and distinct. 

I hope it's not Hodgman, because while I enjoy the guy and Judge John Hodgman is fun, I don't think he could carry it.  I guess Cenac is the long shot pick.