DVDVR Message Board

2014 Reigns vs. 1996 Michaels

OSJ

Okay, in the interest of fair play:

Ringwork: I never for a second bought Michaels' human pinball routine and weakass offense. Reigns is simply far more convincing.

Personality: We all know what a whiney little shit Michaels was. Reigns apparently has a very good attitude.

Charisma: A lot of people bought into Michaels, so I'll give him a slight edge here. However, Reigns has charisma in spades.

Body of work: It's absurd to compare a two decade career with two years. Obviously, Shawn. However, if you were to compare four years in the biz, the edge would definitely go to Reigns. (And that's from someone that thought Michaels and Janetty were one of the greatest things ever, I still re-watch the Rose/Sommers bloodbath from AWA.)

Mainstream appeal: Well, we all know how well Michaels has fared outside of wrestling. The sky is the limit for Reigns.

Sex appeal: I will defer this to the lovely Mrs. OSJ. "Honey, who is better looking, Reigns today or Shawn Michaels in his prime?" ANSWER: "Roman, he looks like you did in your twenties. Shawn looked like a girly man who went both ways. Also, there's something very wrong about a man of his age prancing around to "Sexy Boy", he's not all that sexy and he's not a boy."

Draw: The jury is out on this until Reigns spins off into a singles career. We do know that Michaels couldn't draw flies with a handful of shit unless he was booked opposite someone like Bret or Taker.

Not sure what the future holds for Reigns, but I foresee great things for this thread.

I already promised Phil that I will ignore the thing from Canada who is not to be named.

Sex appeal: I will defer this to the lovely Mrs. OSJ. "Honey, who is better looking, Reigns today or Shawn Michaels in his prime?" ANSWER: "Roman, he looks like you did in your twenties. 

Pretty sure you started this thread just to post this.

• Like 10

Before we go any further I demand to see a picture of you from your 20's.

You've seen a recent picture of me, now just imagine when I was in shape and had long hair. The mustache and goatee have always been present since about age 17. Reigns is a bigger guy, when in shape I was 220lbs at 6 ft. Now I am built more like Kevin Sullivan... ;-(

Sex appeal: I will defer this to the lovely Mrs. OSJ. "Honey, who is better looking, Reigns today or Shawn Michaels in his prime?" ANSWER: "Roman, he looks like you did in your twenties. 

Pretty sure you started this thread just to post this.

Why do you think we've been married for 30 years? ;-)

Debating whether or not to post a current picture of OSJ in his jeggings so we can laugh at the absurdity of his statement.

Anyway I'd amend the title to 13/14 Reigns vs Michaels 96 and still don't see anyway Michael's doesn't walk this. Michaels vs Mankind or Reigns vs ???

• Like 1

I will defer this to the lovely Mrs. OSJ. "Honey, who is better looking, Reigns today or Shawn Michaels in his prime?" ANSWER: "Roman, he looks like you did in your twenties.

I believe the actual quote was "he looks like you did in 1920." :lol:

I fall in line with those who believe Roman will be a huge star. I don't know if he has more potential than HBK, the thing about 1996 is the entire company sucked as a whole. Anything that happened during that time period I can't really pin on him. HBK has this uncanny ability where despite his in-ring flaws everyone is able to see past it because of his ability to draw you in. I'm not sure Roman will ever have that on his own but The Shield as a whole do. Everything they do as a collective is must-see.

I love Roman's look though. That and his cool moves like the Superman punch which seems to be quite over... that'll carry him to a main event spot. What he does with that opportunity remains to be seen but he will get there..

• Like 1

I will defer this to the lovely Mrs. OSJ. "Honey, who is better looking, Reigns today or Shawn Michaels in his prime?" ANSWER: "Roman, he looks like you did in your twenties.

I believe the actual quote was "he looks like you did in 1920." :lol:

You're a funny fellow. I will ignore that, you young whippersnapper. ;-)

I fall in line with those who believe Roman will be a huge star. I don't know if he has more potential than HBK, the thing about 1996 is the entire company sucked as a whole. Anything that happened during that time period I can't really pin on him. HBK has this uncanny ability where despite his in-ring flaws everyone is able to see past it because of his ability to draw you in. I'm not sure Roman will ever have that on his own but The Shield as a whole do. Everything they do as a collective is must-see.

I love Roman's look though. That and his cool moves like the Superman punch which seems to be quite over... that'll carry him to a main event spot. What he does with that opportunity remains to be seen but he will get there..

Precisely. Barring serious injury, death or a sudden change in attitude (which from all reports is pretty unlikely), he will get the ball. How far he runs with it is open to debate. All signs point to Reigns and Bray Wyatt OWNING this business for the next fifteen years.

Personality: We all know what a whiney little shit Michaels was. Reigns apparently has a very good attitude.

Who cares if Michaels was a piece of shit backstage?  Is that something that actually detracts from your enjoyment of watching his matches?  If 10 years from now we find out that Reigns was politicking and backstabbing guys will you say that he was "a whiney little shit?"

I've seen that talking point on here several times that since Shawn was a prick backstage and "lost his smile" or whatever that he's somehow less of a wrestler. 

All I care about is being entertained.  Michaels in '96 has the Mankind IYH, the Bulldog matches, the Iron Man vs Bret at WM 12, Diesel at Good Friends, Better Enemies, a fucking great match vs Sid of all people at Survivor Series.

Shawn Michaels was the man in 1996.  

Reigns is good.  Shawn Michaels is better.

• Like 1

what the fuck is wrong with this OSJ guy

Figures we'd get this from a Texan. Ain't nothin' comes out of Texas 'cept beers, steers, and queers (not that there's anything wrong with that). Where are your horns, boy?

Who cares if Michaels was a piece of shit backstage?  Is that something that actually detracts from your enjoyment of watching his matches?  If 10 years from now we find out that Reigns was politicking and backstabbing guys will you say that he was "a whiney little shit?"

I've seen that talking point on here several times that since Shawn was a prick backstage and "lost his smile" or whatever that he's somehow less of a wrestler. 

All I care about is being entertained.  Michaels in '96 has the Mankind IYH, the Bulldog matches, the Iron Man vs Bret at WM 12, Diesel at Good Friends, Better Enemies, a fucking great match vs Sid of all people at Survivor Series.

Shawn Michaels was the man in 1996.  

Reigns is good.  Shawn Michaels is better.

No it doesn't detract from his ringwork at all, but ask yourself this: "Who is more likely to achieve mainstream success, a guy known for his constant whining or a guy that apparently has a very goof attitude and is liked by everyone?" I already said that it is ridiculous to compare twenty years to four. However, if you compare 4 to 4 I think you'll see that Reigns is way ahead of where Michaels was after four years as a pro.

I like Reigns as much as the next guy, but this is an absurd comparison. HBK/Mankind at Mind Games alone shits all over Reigns' entire output so far. Hell, HBK/Vader at Summerslam is generally regarded as a disappointment, but all the Reigns fangirls would splash themselves if he had a singles match that good.

• Like 1

You have a fucking problem. 

EDIT: to OSJ, obviously.

And you live in North Carolina, so who really has a problem?

The blatant homophobia here and in other threads is really getting out of hand OSJ.

If you've been reading my posts as long as you claim, you ought to know when I'm joking.

The blatant homophobia here and in other threads is really getting out of hand OSJ.

If you've been reading my posts as long as you claim, you ought to know when I'm joking.

I literally have no idea what you're referring to with that comment. As to your "joking" you've dropped several gay jokes, the word queer, and the horrible opinions of your wife that Shawn looks like he "goes both ways". There's a pattern forming.

I like Reigns as much as the next guy, but this is an absurd comparison. HBK/Mankind at Mind Games alone shits all over Reigns' entire output so far. Hell, HBK/Vader at Summerslam is generally regarded as a disappointment, but all the Reigns fangirls would splash themselves if he had a singles match that good.

This.   Maybe I'm dense, but I'm unclear as to why a guy who's being groomed for a push is being compared with the company's top star.

what the fuck is wrong with this OSJ guy

Figures we'd get this from a Texan. Ain't nothin' comes out of Texas 'cept beers, steers, and queers (not that there's anything wrong with that). Where are your horns, boy?

wow