DVDVR Message Board

Books about time travel

Craig H

I'm looking for some recommendations for books about time travel. Basically, if I like Back to the Future, or even Doctor Who, what books are similar to those types of adventures of going back and forth through time?

Craig, I feel like with each passing day, we are getting closer and closer to you starting a thread about which Pretty Little Liar is your favorite. 

As for an actual answer to your question, Hyperion is probably my favorite book that has a time travel element. 

Edit: Slaughterhouse Five, if that counts. 

• Like 1

Good call, Mike. Also there are probably the two best time-travel novels ever written, Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson and Time and Again by Jack Finney. Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter is a sequel to Wells' The Time Machine and arguably the first steampunk novel ever written. The idea of 8000 Dr. Who books (even if a few are by friends of mine) makes me slightly queasy.

I've already watched some of The Time Traveler's Wife years ago. I'd like to stay away from actual Doctor Who books too, and some of the more classic stories I've read. I will shamefully acknowledge though, that I have never read the Hitchhiker's Guide series, so maybe I'll start there.

11/22/63 looked good as well.

The Time Traveller's Wife

I kinda like this because I feel like you are tricking him into watching the movie

Good god, how much I hate that movie. One of very few films I turned off midway through.

Usually once I start watching something I stick to it until the end, even if I really don't like it, but I couldn't bear to watch another second of that film.

If someone already said Slaughterhouse Five, can i say Sirens of Titan?

And from the book club this summer, Catch-22, if being unstuck in time counts as time travel.

My memory is failing me. Does Man in the High Castle have time travel or is it just an alternate reality?

If someone already said Slaughterhouse Five, can i say Sirens of Titan?

And from the book club this summer, Catch-22, if being unstuck in time counts as time travel.

My memory is failing me. Does Man in the High Castle have time travel or is it just an alternate reality?

MITHC is alternate reality, but should be read by everyone that likes good SF.

• Like 1

It's strange, I'd never really thought of Alternate History stuff as classifiable as time travel, but since it was pointed out, I guess I could see the parallels. MITHC is really amazing, and should be read by everyone.

If you can get past the annoying political preachiness, go read Heinlein, specifically Time Enough for Love and To Sail Beyond the Sunset.  I recommend this because of certain things that happen (or don't happen) in Back to the Future.  Farnham's Freehold would be a shittier Heinlein time travel novel.

"The Toynbee Convector" is a nice short story about time travel by Ray Bradbury

Um, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azhkaban?

If you can get past the annoying political preachiness, go read Heinlein, specifically Time Enough for Love and To Sail Beyond the Sunset.  I recommend this because of certain things that happen (or don't happen) in Back to the Future.  Farnham's Freehold would be a shittier Heinlein time travel novel.

"The Toynbee Convector" is a nice short story about time travel by Ray Bradbury

Um, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azhkaban?

Farnham's Freehold is a shitty novel by any criteria that you want to use unless you are a Libertarian. You're right about "The Toynbee Convector", I think it actually can stand compare to "A Sound of Thunder" and that's pretty high praise.